Funduro MTB Festival @ Grootfontein Bike Park
Welcome dirt friends.
FunDuro at Grootfontein is an all inclusive family and friends driven event in a safe and social environment. Both on and off the bike.
We’ve designed a program based on fun and connecting with like minded people who have a bike shaped heart and soul.
Activities are geared towards learning new skills or improving on existing skills and applying these on purposely set routes. There will be timing and various categories available so you can test your metal too.
The venue Grootfontein Bikepark is a multi-disciplined bike park overlooking the surrounding farmlands. Accommodating MTB skills levels from enjoyable leisure to highly skilled technical trails. Built by riders for riders so you can get the best out of your riding.
The FunDuro team can’t wait to kuier with you.
What is a Funduro?
The Funduro is an event for everyone young to old, who loves riding their Mountain bikes, cruising up the hills and racing down. That’s right you are only timed on the “down” section. Boutime will do the time keeping to compete in this event.
The race options selected are a combination of flowing. A combination of all fun trials that everyone can ride.
Pump track for the kids.
One of our major sponsors – Norco will also be there on the day with some demo bikes that you can take for a spin. Is Enduro Only for the Pros? Definitely not!
While enduro does require some physical fitness and skill to complete the course, it is one of the most approachable disciplines for an amateur rider. Here are a few reasons why enduro is awesome for all levels of riders:
- When racing on timed stages, it is just you, your bike and the clock. There isn’t much worry about having to pass or get passed, because you are sent off down the trail at 30 second – 1 minute intervals. If you do get passed (or need to pass someone), it is usually just one person at a time, which is much easier to handle than a whole group of riders in an XC race.
- Men, women, pro, amateur; everyone rides the same course! So, regardless of your classification, you can compare your times to everyone else.
- It is totally normal to carry a pack around. In a lot of other racing formats you will be scoffed at for carrying a bag, but in enduro, it is often necessary. If you get a flat or other mechanical, you’re responsible. And, who doesn’t love the opportunity for snacking? Transition stages give you the opportunity to catch your breath, stretch out… and… eat!
- It is basically a motivated trail ride! Think of enduro as a ride you would normally love to do… just with a bunch of new friends and a little more motivation to push your limits on the descents.
- The people are amazing. More than any other form of racing, enduro is known for having a friendly atmosphere. Wait for your buddies to finish the timed stage runs and then ride to the top together. And of course, celebrate with new and old friends at the finish line with race talk, good food and a tasty beverage.
- Charl van Zyl (Pyga)
- Louise Kotze
What else will be there?
- Skills training courses presented by the pro's(included in the rider entry, book your time slot at one of our 4x skill instructors)
- Groups of 5 per instructor
- 1 Hour sessions on the actual lines
- Book your entry together with your skills training time slot
- Bash down the course and see how you improve before and after your skills training
- Live band
- Epic trails/lines
- Food, beer & non-alcoholic drinks
- Downloadable online certificate
- Adventure medics will be present for any "oopsies".
- Loads of lucky prizes to be won
- Wee day out!
- Professional Photographer - Dino Lloyd
- Free high quality buffs
Overall Prize Categories (Male & Female)
- Over 40
- Hardtail Male
- Hardtail Female
- Open – E-bike
After the event
At the finish line there will be beer from award winning Hazeldean Brewing Co. (there will non alcoholic refreshments also) and food waiting for you. Prize giving will then follow with some great lucky draw prizes to be won.
Registration opens at 06h00
Race briefing starts at 06h45
Skills training starts at 07h00 (on the course)
Self riding starts at 10h00
Bands will start playing at 10h00
Race starts at 11h30
Race finishes at 13h00
Prize Giving at 14h00
Health and Safety
Normal rules apply, we have attached the clubs Health and Safety Rules for some light reading before the day.
NO HELMET NO RIDE
Want to be involved as a sponsor or vendor, please email email@example.com with the services/involvement you would like to offer.