The Durbie Dash Road

Saturday, 19 October 2019
Western CapeDurbanville High School
  • Distance
    90 km
    Date
    19 Oct 2019
    The 90km road event is a Seeding event for the Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020. 835m ascent
  • Distance
    46 km
    Date
    19 Oct 2019
    390m ascent

Details

The Durbie Dash 90km is an ideal opportunity to improve your seeding status for the Cape Town Cycle Tour

Venue

Durbanville High School, Western Cape
Get directions

MDJ, Oct 20 2019 08:14

Thanks @Pure Savage - your train saved my race  :clap:

I started in % and was having a great ride, then my chain came off at around 30kms down a fast section  :wacko:. Had to put my hand up and stop, took a while to get going - tried to chase back, but it was tough going. Then I hear a voice from behind ... "how long have you been out here" - music to my ears. Joined in your paceline to catch the bunch again. It was really cool riding with you guys, painful but lots of fun  :thumbup:

Pure Savage, Oct 21 2019 09:33

Thanks @Pure Savage - your train saved my race  :clap:

I started in % and was having a great ride, then my chain came off at around 30kms down a fast section  :wacko:. Had to put my hand up and stop, took a while to get going - tried to chase back, but it was tough going. Then I hear a voice from behind ... "how long have you been out here" - music to my ears. Joined in your paceline to catch the bunch again. It was really cool riding with you guys, painful but lots of fun  :thumbup:

We had not seen the group ahead till we got to you. Was surprised to see you on your ace. 

You pulled nicely when catching them. 

I worked out what the CSA dude was doing, the % should have stopped and given A a gap, rather hard to communicate that though to 130 people cruising at 45km/h. 

DJTerblanche, Oct 22 2019 09:39

In %, two guys got a gap on the R302 and I was quite surprised at how long it took to bring them back. Do you know who was the one guy with the Namibian socks in the breakaway? 

The race was a little bit boring/frustrating, difficult to get to front. On the second last hill some guy put in a nice effort and it got a little strung out. I should have moved to the front when it eased up since I got boxed in on the last downhill again.

Stradale, Oct 22 2019 12:46

I too rode in %.  I wasn't surprised when A caught us because up to that point it was  just a steady BIG group ride.. (some at the front ,others just sitting on for the free ride) . Not too slow but not fast either given the perfect conditions.. hence the whole bunch coming to the finish together.

Pure Savage, Oct 22 2019 01:41

In %, two guys got a gap on the R302 and I was quite surprised at how long it took to bring them back. Do you know who was the one guy with the Namibian socks in the breakaway? 

The race was a little bit boring/frustrating, difficult to get to front. On the second last hill some guy put in a nice effort and it got a little strung out. I should have moved to the front when it eased up since I got boxed in on the last downhill again.

Brendon gave it a go over the top, had 100m at one point but I thought 2 or 3 others would come over, only one person did, but very late. 

Once we caught %, we had lost 3 min on elite, by the end it was 8 minutes.

babse, Oct 22 2019 03:04

imagine you enter a race, seeded in the sharp end then just content with sitting in with no real purpose...

this idea blows my mind specifically for a 2 hour ride!

I too rode in %.  I wasn't surprised when A caught us because up to that point it was  just a steady BIG group ride.. (some at the front ,others just sitting on for the free ride) . Not too slow but not fast either given the perfect conditions.. hence the whole bunch coming to the finish together.

Pure Savage, Oct 22 2019 03:12

imagine you enter a race, seeded in the sharp end then just content with sitting in with no real purpose...

"tactical game, waiting for the sprint"  :clap:  :clap:

Skubarra, Oct 22 2019 06:26

My 2c after having done a few Durbie Dashes in the past.. Flat route with no big climbs (and almost no wind on the day) it's almost impossible to make a breakaway stick before the last few km. (unless you have a team of Savages that fell back to ride with you). Also no point in working too much upfront, you will just get kicked into the curb the last 10km when the wheelsuckers suddenly discover their racing legs.

I was the idiot who did the solo breakaway 2nd last climb before the end. Quietly hoped 4 or 5 brave/stupid souls might join me and we would have had a fighting chance to stay ahead of the bunch working together. Alas, seems everybody else was happy to hang back and take their chance with the bunch sprint..

Thornman, Oct 22 2019 10:09

My 2c after having done a few Durbie Dashes in the past.. Flat route with no big climbs (and almost no wind on the day) it's almost impossible to make a breakaway stick before the last few km. (unless you have a team of Savages that fell back to ride with you). Also no point in working too much upfront, you will just get kicked into the curb the last 10km when the wheelsuckers suddenly discover their racing legs.

I was the idiot who did the solo breakaway 2nd last climb before the end. Quietly hoped 4 or 5 brave/stupid souls might join me and we would have had a fighting chance to stay ahead of the bunch working together. Alas, seems everybody else was happy to hang back and take their chance with the bunch sprint..

I started in the $ bunch. We formed a 9 man break within the first 10km, before you turn right to Fisantekraal and stayed away to the end. 

If the people in the break are willing to role there is always that slight chance of surviving. 

Skubarra, Oct 23 2019 12:48

I started in the $ bunch. We formed a 9 man break within the first 10km, before you turn right to Fisantekraal and stayed away to the end.

If the people in the break are willing to role there is always that slight chance of surviving.

Impressive, well done... "Almost impossible" maybe an exaggeration but breakaways like that something I have rarely seen in races around Paardeberg

MDJ, Oct 23 2019 07:56

Impressive, well done... "Almost impossible" maybe an exaggeration but breakaways like that something I have rarely seen in races around Paardeberg

Maybe we should plan for it in advance  ^_^. I'm sure there are enough strong guys on the hub keen to shake things up a bit v.s working in a bunch to get wheel sucked and out sprinted.

We could do one training ride and get to know each other. Then make a team and come up with a strategy for next race v.s just leaving it up to fate and letting the cards fall where they may. Even just a 5 minute meet and greet and co-ordinated break - it will be pretty cool to bringing a new dynamic to these races  :clap:

I've joined a club, but at the moment the guys are all over for DC, for the PPA race where we had enough club guys - we killed it, 6 minutes off the winner starting from C.

Pure Savage, Oct 23 2019 08:25

Maybe we should plan for it in advance ^_^. I'm sure there are enough strong guys on the hub keen to shake things up a bit v.s working in a bunch to get wheel sucked and out sprinted.

We could do one training ride and get to know each other. Then make a team and come up with a strategy for next race v.s just leaving it up to fate and letting the cards fall where they may. Even just a 5 minute meet and greet and co-ordinated break - it will be pretty cool to bringing a new dynamic to these races :clap:

I've joined a club, but at the moment the guys are all over for DC, for the PPA race where we had enough club guys - we killed it, 6 minutes off the winner starting from C.

Sounds familiar.

MDJ, Oct 23 2019 08:27

Sounds familiar.

Hahaha - maybe we should call it Team Pure Savage ... oh wait  :D

Pure Savage, Oct 23 2019 01:34

If you having an afternoon coffee, have a read of the Savage Race Report from Saturday! 

http://bit.ly/SavageDD2019

72819667_2658242514404490_607048186535608320_o.jpg

Picture credit: Durbie Dash Facebook Page

Skubarra, Oct 30 2019 04:27

Seedings updated...

Winning time reduced by 10 minutes and beta of .92

If my quick calcs are correct it means no one outside $ will get an A seeding.

The Savage Train rode themselves into B batch with their heroics

and all us wheel suckers in % earned ourselves a C seeding

MDJ, Oct 30 2019 05:42

I understand the stats on why they adjust the winning time ... but it still *feels* wrong when they do that  :wacko:  

'Dale, Oct 30 2019 09:21

If you having an afternoon coffee, have a read of the Savage Race Report from Saturday!

http://bit.ly/SavageDD2019

72819667_2658242514404490_607048186535608320_o.jpg
Picture credit: Durbie Dash Facebook Page

Cool pic there for the sponsors 🔥