STBB4GOOD MTB CHALLENGE

Saturday, 12 October 2019
Western CapeOvergaauw Wine Estate

Details

The STBB4GOOD MTB Challenge and Family Day will be taking place on Saturday 12 October 2019 at Overgaauw Wine Estate in Stellenbosch over the Bottelary Hills MTB Trails and Conservancy. The aim of this event is to raise funds for the Miles for Smiles Foundation.

The MTB race has become known as one of the “must-do” events on the MTB calendar. Our routes are enjoyable, challenging and well marked, our marshals are on the ball, we have the top class water tables in the industry, and we are told that ours is one of the best organised MTB races in South Africa. Unbelievable prizes from our generous sponsors, and loads of prizes to be won.

After the race, chill out in Bedouin tents, eat, relax and take in the view. Enjoy the food market, artisan beers and wine tasting, plus a jumping castle and arts and crafts for the kids.

Distances: 60km | 45km | 30km | 12km | 5km

ENTRIES OPENING 27 MAY 2019

Venue

Overgaauw Wine Estate, Western Cape
Get directions

LeoKnight, Oct 13 2019 04:39

Agree, very difficult for me to fault the organisers on this one, the clear message in driving the charity side of it, the amazing breakfast buffet, the energy at the start, amazing trails, good signage with marshalls, water points properly stocked (including a foot pump for some extra help), easy parking, lots of prices. And to top it off the floating bridge..

Really feels a shame that they starting to struggle to fill the event up like prior years but really do hope they do continue as this would be the one in the cape that I will be most sad of it had to dissappear.

Mamil, Oct 13 2019 04:47

Was a bit unfit to take on the 60 after recent bout with flu and chest infection so was harder than I remember it being - especially that single track climb after the first descent -- lovely trails and great scenery that I will hopefully not be bleeding out my eyeballs as much as I did yesterday to enjoy next time around.

Water bridge is a nice way to finish.

Skubarra, Oct 13 2019 08:51

Did the 12km with my son, special event as the others mentioned. If I can give some constructive critisism, I felt the 12km route was too difficult for the average participant (mostly kids & pensioners & generally unfit peeps), route included a pretty nasty and long hike-a-bike climb followed by a gnarly downhill. The route marshalls were super friendly though and the waterpoint well stocked. Some hairy moments near the finish line when the routes merged and we had to dodge the race leaders of the long route flying bye but luckily no serious incident.

Butterbean, Oct 13 2019 09:05

Route profile was deceptive and those first climbs being basically wide enough for one was rough! But a nice route, nice trails, and exciting riding... Don't really care much for pre and post event stuff, but it looked fun. Was a nice day out and I'll be doing it again!

Rouxenator, Oct 13 2019 09:11

Saw a couple of e-bikes. Did they have their own category ?

Butterbean, Oct 13 2019 09:40

Saw a couple of e-bikes. Did they have their own category ?

Doesn't seem like it.

And ill be honest. Before this race I did think E bikes should be welcomed and had no issue... Until I got bothered by one. Smaller lady, on a grey Scott E bike. Overtook me on the climbs, but had zero confidence or skills in the single track sections. So I would get overtaken, then stuck behind. Eventually find a gap and overtake, just to be overtaken again and have to sit on the brakes...

My opinion now is, if you're riding an E bike for medical or physical limitation reasons, you should start at the back of the group, and no passing of normal bikes allowed. If someone is ultra slow because they're also physically limited, then you should stay at the speed, unless it's wide roads or keep track. I don't feel like those with E bikes should be able to gain a super unfair advantage over those using a proper bicycle, and then making them suffer. It was so ridiculously annoying and something has to be figured out.

SeaBee, Oct 14 2019 07:59

I'm as relaxed as you can get when it comes to races, esp since I classify myself as a trail runner. But at least I can climb a bit. Maybe not world-beating, but I keep up with most. And to then have this exact scenario is a bit hard to swallow, as I did in Stb MTB. Guy on e-bike comes breezing past me on a steepish climb, I catch up afterwards, only for him to stop right in the middle of the track at the first switchback... 

Rudii, Oct 14 2019 08:07

Had the same yo-yo'ing experience with a E-bike rider in my group, pass, get passed, get stuck behind, pass, get passed............ you get the picture. Maybe something for the organizers to look at for next year.

Doesn't seem like it.

And ill be honest. Before this race I did think E bikes should be welcomed and had no issue... Until I got bothered by one. Smaller lady, on a grey Scott E bike. Overtook me on the climbs, but had zero confidence or skills in the single track sections. So I would get overtaken, then stuck behind. Eventually find a gap and overtake, just to be overtaken again and have to sit on the brakes...

My opinion now is, if you're riding an E bike for medical or physical limitation reasons, you should start at the back of the group, and no passing of normal bikes allowed. If someone is ultra slow because they're also physically limited, then you should stay at the speed, unless it's wide roads or keep track. I don't feel like those with E bikes should be able to gain a super unfair advantage over those using a proper bicycle, and then making them suffer. It was so ridiculously annoying and something has to be figured out.

Rouxenator, Oct 14 2019 08:15

I had the same lady pass me on the last climb before Asara, she was very slow on the descent and I got whacked by those olive trees trying to pass her. 

They should start - and preferably stay - at the back. Then again had I upped the pace in the first part of the race I would have had less 30/45 traffic to deal with. 

Hamstring, Oct 14 2019 08:28

I think maybe Ebikes need to start first say like 1hr before the rest of us, so if we start normally at 7H30 they must start 6H30. so if you cant pedal a bike then at least wake up earlier  than the rest of us. :ph34r:  :whistling:   

dannygirl, Oct 14 2019 08:58

Did the 12km with my son, special event as the others mentioned. If I can give some constructive critisism, I felt the 12km route was too difficult for the average participant (mostly kids & pensioners & generally unfit peeps), route included a pretty nasty and long hike-a-bike climb followed by a gnarly downhill. The route marshalls were super friendly though and the waterpoint well stocked. Some hairy moments near the finish line when the routes merged and we had to dodge the race leaders of the long route flying bye but luckily no serious incident.

Also dropped down to ride the 12km with a friend - but that is seriously not a kid / beginner friendly route...to the point that it is downright dangerous, specifically on the downhill bits.  Saw quite a few kids wipeout on the downhill, and others had to walk down, as there were no clean lines to ride.    There was also no marshall where the longer routes merged at the last downhill coming back into Overgaauw - an accident waiting to happen. 

If the 12km route was extended by another 8km, it could make a nice 20km route for riders with some experience, while a 10km flatter route could cater well for families. 

I'll be back next year though (hopefully for a longer ride again!). 

dannygirl, Oct 14 2019 09:51

very chuffed with myself for managing to ride the entire hike-a-bike-hill, though!

Butterbean, Oct 14 2019 02:07

I think maybe Ebikes need to start first say like 1hr before the rest of us, so if we start normally at 7H30 they must start 6H30. so if you cant pedal a bike then at least wake up earlier than the rest of us. :ph34r: :whistling:

Nah, I don't think you realise how slow some of these guys are and how quick they would be caught by the racy Bois...

I really think they should start at back and not be allowed to pass a bicyclist. Again, if someone is unfit/fat/old/disabled, but riding without assistance, then anyone with assisnce shouldn't be entitled to blast past. Sit behind. If you get bored, maybe lose the motor and try it without, might be a lot more fun.

And go for a skills course FFS

Hamstring, Oct 14 2019 02:43

Ok make it 2hr they need to sacrifice something  :devil:  

Nah, I don't think you realise how slow some of these guys are and how quick they would be caught by the racy Bois...

I really think they should start at back and not be allowed to pass a bicyclist. Again, if someone is unfit/fat/old/disabled, but riding without assistance, then anyone with assisnce shouldn't be entitled to blast past. Sit behind. If you get bored, maybe lose the motor and try it without, might be a lot more fun.

And go for a skills course FFS