Eroica South Africa & NOVA Eroica

Saturday, 14 March 2020
Western CapeMMACC, corner of Kohler and Long Streets, Montagu
  • Distance
    35 km
    Date
    14 Mar 2020
    We have a new entry-level route! Our 35km option follows the tar road up the Koo valley towards the north, where it turns onto the dirt road to Baden. From there the route explores the beautiful pastoral farms around Baden and Gewelkrans, and at the furthest point you will find beautiful Groenland, where we have a special food and drinks stop where riders can relax and recuperate before heading back to town. A short dirt section south takes riders to the R318, and a quick roll back to the KWV venue. This route is aimed at introducing newcomers to the ideology of Eroica, and therefore we allow non-vintage bikes to participate too. But of course we appreciate every effort that is made to comply with the vintage spirit of our event. So please bring friends and family to come and join us on this lovely jaunt around Montagu.
  • Distance
    60 km
    Date
    14 Mar 2020
    For those who want to ride the medium distance route, we have a new adventure planned though the Patatsfontein and Pietersfontein areas. While this route is shorter than our previous middle distance option, one could say it’s tougher. The route includes a spectacular isolated back-road that has a few short sections of portage and two small river crossings, and there are rougher road sections with loose stones and ruts. Don’t be put off by this - the beauty of this route, and the special snack stop at the furthest point, make this 60km route well worth it. This 60km option follows the 35km route up to the Groenland food stop, and takes a loop north from there through Patatsfontein and Pietersfontein and back to Groenland. This means that those riding the 60km can leave family or friends who ride the 35km at the Groenland stop, and meet them back there before heading back to town together. Remember - you have all day, so make the most of it!
  • Distance
    135 km
    Date
    14 Mar 2020
    Our longest route stays unchanged. This is the route for the true heroes of the day! It takes you north-east and up the gruesome Ouberg Pass, after which you start heading west around the Langeberg-Wes mountains. As you head north the gravel route gets really isolated and wild. The beautiful vistas are punctuated by water and food stops along the way, but you get that real feeling of being ‘out there’. Once you meet the tarmac again your first descent is the Rooihoogte Pass, followed by the Burgers Pass, and then a fast roll into town. Providing there’s no headwind of course! Please take care along this tar section back to Montagu as this a public road frequently used by cars. This is the one route that all true Eroica enthusiasts should do at least once. Make this your year.
  • Distance
    150 km
    Date
    14 Mar 2020
    This is our enduro-style race route for modern gravel bicycles, called Nova Eroica. This category is open to modern gravel bikes, and follows the 135km Keisie dirt-road route up the brutal Ouberg Pass, after which riders start heading west around the Langeberg-Wes mountains. Upon meeting the tar at the top of the Koo, racers drop down Rooihoogte Pass, followed by the Burgers Pass, and then head into the mountains for a last section that visits Groenland and a route through Baden back into town. Along this route there a several Strava Segments which will be raced to determine the winner with the shortest time. Any part of the route outside of these segments are neutral, allowing racers to relax and take in the beautiful views, and also enjoy fantastic food stops along the way.

Details

On the weekend of 14 March 2020, one week after the famed Cape Town Cycle Tour, we are celebrating our fifth Eroica South Africa in the beautiful village and surrounds of Montagu. Come celebrate vintage Italian road cycling culture with us - bring your classic racing bicycles and ride with us through the beautiful Karoo around the dirt roads north of Montagu in the Western Cape. For those of you who are into a more modern approach, come and race our enduro-style NOVA Eroica race on your gravel bikes!

Of course there will be great food and wine, and lots of old bicycles to lust over. With South Africa's rich cycling history, we’re proud to have this celebrated Italian event honoured on African soil.

As before, we're hosting a vintage bicycle concourse, so prepare your most beautiful and rarest old bicycles for display and judging - it’s time to see what South Africans have hidden in their bike collections! Enter soon, and secure your accommodation and dinner bookings - it’s going to be a fantastic weekend.

See you there!

Venue

MMACC, corner of Kohler and Long Streets, Montagu, Western Cape
Get directions

Dirt Addict07, Nov 07 2019 01:27

Looking forward to this event! Installed 28mm tyres, makes a big difference on comfort level.

Mamil, Nov 07 2019 01:50

Entered the Nova - my second one.

DJR, Nov 07 2019 06:40

Entered Team DJR - Using it as a carrot to get myself up to full strength by then. Physio happy with my arm rehab, handed me over to the biokineticist recently, doing gym regularly as well as lengthening the rides. Good for about 3 hours at the moment, including roughish stuff. So, sanity prevailed and we entered for the 90.

Waynemol, Nov 07 2019 07:54

I was keen to do my first one but I see that my modern groupsets and cleats exclude me.

Might look at the Nova but that's a long ride for me

DJR, Nov 07 2019 09:07

I was keen to do my first one but I see that my modern groupsets and cleats exclude me.

Might look at the Nova but that's a long ride for me

Two words: Bike build :thumbup:

charlsouma, Nov 07 2019 10:06

looking forward to this event.. 

charlsouma, Nov 08 2019 07:36

Entered Team DJR - Using it as a carrot to get myself up to full strength by then. Physio happy with my arm rehab, handed me over to the biokineticist recently, doing gym regularly as well as lengthening the rides. Good for about 3 hours at the moment, including roughish stuff. So, sanity prevailed and we entered for the 90.

The 90 is just the right distance to enjoy the festivities but also suffer more than a little. Good choice

DJR, Nov 08 2019 09:04

The 90 is just the right distance to enjoy the festivities but also suffer more than a little. Good choice

I've done it a few times and I agree 100%. The first 50 is so easy, but the last 40 will make you regret any laziness in your training. I fully intended doing the 130 something the last time, but then ended up being "team manager" with a badly broken arm after a really nasty crash 2 weeks before. My team still rode the 90 and my youngest appropriated my bike for it - the bike I built especially for it!

Here is a picture of them, just for fun.    

Attached Images

• 35d559f043141a6f05e0c3c56e6fa3f65a17dd0f.jpg

Loose cog, Nov 09 2019 10:03

done

Mamil, Nov 09 2019 11:30

Ok I confess - on my first nova I left out the last little 20k add on ... in my defence it was very hot

DJR, Nov 09 2019 01:26

For anyone considering doing Eroica SA, I'll add a few pictures, because it really is a colourful event. 

This was the start of the 1st one. "Stan the man" on the chair. Left of him the fouder of Eroica, Giancarlo Brocci.  On the start line in goggles, the late Luciano Berutti, "Mr Eroica", who rode it on a 1907 Bianchi.

Attached Images

• IMG_9547.jpg

DJR, Nov 09 2019 01:30

Year 2 (I think) with the coolest lead out car any bike race ever had. Traguardo = Finish or goal

Attached Images

• IMG_1393.jpg

DJR, Nov 09 2019 01:34

Year 3 we really had terrible luck with punctures - changed to bigger tyres after that and never struggled again. D with the tubes he and I destroyed that day between us. Plus some duct tape patches and sealant too!  I kid you not. 

Attached Images

• 2018-03-17 201.jpg

DJR, Nov 09 2019 01:39

This is what Eroica is all about. Long lonely roads of the beaten track. Beautiful landscape. Tough riding with like minded people. No stinky attitudes, only friendly brothers.

Attached Images

• 2018-03-17 185.jpg

DJR, Nov 09 2019 01:44

Oh, and cool old bicycles of course.....many of them. Every year I found another unusual name I have never seen before. From rusted locally made 1980s bikes to Italian race horses in shiny bling, all equally welcome. 

Attached Images

• 2016-04-23 Eroica 2016 030.jpg

DJR, Nov 09 2019 01:46

It all ends with a party, Italian food, wine and enough beer, even if there is load shedding!

Attached Images

• IMG_3351.jpg

Loose cog, Nov 09 2019 07:20

done

KieserJ, Dec 11 2019 11:31

Cant wait.

BuffsVintageBikes, Dec 12 2019 09:58

I cannot miss it again in 2020,God willing I'll finally be there on a classic :clap:

lechatnoir, Dec 12 2019 10:38

This is what Eroica is all about. Long lonely roads of the beaten track. Beautiful landscape. Tough riding with like minded people. No stinky attitudes, only friendly brothers.

This picture explains why I ride...

DJR, Dec 12 2019 11:24

Got our accommodation booked as well! It is so nice to be close to the start / finish. Will combine Teams DJR and Beattbox again and make a lekker gesellige weekend of it.

For a while now (since I gave up the more serious races) I thought that the Cape Town Cycle Tour was my yearly cycling highlight.......not any more........Eroica is now that one "must do" ride. I won't bring a new bike next year though......I must first ride Eroica on the Merckx before I can justify that (also, the house is FULL and I don't want a divorce on my hands)

Prince Albert Cycles, Dec 12 2019 02:11

Got our accommodation booked as well! It is so nice to be close to the start / finish. Will combine Teams DJR and Beattbox again and make a lekker gesellige weekend of it.

For a while now (since I gave up the more serious races) I thought that the Cape Town Cycle Tour was my yearly cycling highlight.......not any more........Eroica is now that one "must do" ride. I won't bring a new bike next year though......I must first ride Eroica on the Merckx before I can justify that (also, the house is FULL and I don't want a divorce on my hands)

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission

DJR, Dec 22 2019 06:17

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission

Just got another restored frame back from Jared, thought I would get it past the wife, but failed.........it ended up in her counting the bikes and coming up with one more than I thought I had......the old Alan frame that is in pieces and still need to be bonded back together.......to be honest, I forgot about that.

danievj, Feb 03 2020 02:43

Hi guys. I've entered and am hoping to do my first Eroica on my '82 Peugeot Classique this year. Does anyone know whether there is bike transport available from Gauteng ?

Dirt Addict07, Feb 07 2020 07:13

I have created a Strava club: Eroica South Africa, for those of you that want to join! Only 5 more weeks !