FNB Wines2Whales Chardonnay

Friday, 25 October 2019 - Sunday, 27 October 2019
Western CapeOak Valley Wine Estate

Details

The FNB Wines2Whales was born out of the desire to establish a world-class 3-day stage race in the Western Cape, South Africa. Since its inception in 2009 it has become a must-do event on the mountain bike calendar, with riders from all of over South Africa and the world queuing for the chance to ride it.

Venue

Oak Valley Wine Estate, Western Cape
Get directions

DieselnDust, Oct 21 2019 08:33

windguru is showing the front to have slowed down with it pnly arriving on Sunday. There is still rain predicted for Friday but it looks like the bulk of it will fall Sunday night, Monday and Tuesday

copperhead, Oct 21 2019 08:36

If we actually received all the rain the weather forecasters predicted our dams would never be under 95% full!

DieselnDust, Oct 21 2019 08:41

accuweather showing the same forecast for rain Thursday through Saturday, dry Pinotage mid week and a drizzly Shiraz

Whatever happens I'll be prepared. That's about the best anyone can do. The Weather is the weather

Furbz, Oct 21 2019 08:55

First time riding the race.

Is there a service that will be able to lift us from the end of the race back to the start to collect our car?

Pieterlab1, Oct 21 2019 08:58

Cannot wait, it's going to be great!

And remember, rain is only water falling from the sky.

Jako De Wet, Oct 21 2019 09:13

Super amped, pity my first one wont be basking in the glorious sunshine, but nothing a base layer and a rain jacket can't fix.

DieselnDust, Oct 21 2019 09:27

First time riding the race.
Is there a service that will be able to lift us from the end of the race back to the start to collect our car?

Yes there is.check the website under event services

https://wines2whales...event-services/

Furbz, Oct 21 2019 10:21

Yes there is.check the website under cruder services

shot!

LeoKnight, Oct 21 2019 10:22

Will of course be a challenge for those trying to sell their entries now... 

But for those riding, just have fun and enjoy the challenges that is thrown your way.

DieselnDust, Oct 21 2019 10:29

Looking at the Theewaters Kloof forecast it appears no one is going to be let off this year.

Rain forecast for Friday , Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday Friday Saturday....

The Shiraz does appear to have a light drizzle forecast and mostly early morning and then afternoon so wet trails.

remember the spare brake pads folks,......spare brake pads

aquaratza, Oct 22 2019 11:11

100% rain forecast haha

Can anyone suggest the best clothing (anecdotal) for an event like this? Any tips and tricks, especially for the weather? I'm a n00b.

I'll pack extra brake pads :P

A waterproof windbreaker looks like a good idea?

Neoprene shoe covers probably?

Light?

DieselnDust, Oct 22 2019 12:22

100% rain forecast haha

Can anyone suggest the best clothing (anecdotal) for an event like this? Any tips and tricks, especially for the weather? I'm a n00b.

I'll pack extra brake pads :P

A waterproof windbreaker looks like a good idea?

Neoprene shoe covers probably?

Light?

the temperature forecast isn't too severe. I'd say don't wear too much that will soak up water. It'll just make you heavier and colder. Thin shell water resistant jacket would be all that's necessary. Some OB's in a hip flask.

Spare chain and brake pads. 

But have warm clothes 

the fight for puffs'is gong to be real in the rider zone as its the only place that will be warm!!

Whatsup!, Oct 22 2019 01:40

Gumboots !!!

I few years back the race village was just mud, and tractors were used to pull cars out the car park.

Have fun everyone!!

ChristiaanSt, Oct 22 2019 03:00

Looking at latest forecast it might be better to leave the bike and take the surfboard

JohanDiv, Oct 22 2019 03:34

Anybody looking to sell their ticket at say, I dunno,  half the original price because of the weather..I'd happily take it off your hands

Dave Fair, Oct 22 2019 03:46

My first time is going to be memorable.. looks a baptism of rain coming my way!

Is it worth getting shoe covers? Snorkel?

DieselnDust, Oct 22 2019 04:39

Anybody looking to sell their ticket at say, I dunno,  half the original price because of the weather..I'd happily take it off your hands

Pm me. I know of such a man

Jako De Wet, Oct 22 2019 04:41

My first time is going to be memorable.. looks a baptism of rain coming my way!

Is it worth getting shoe covers? Snorkel?

Will be my first as well and I am contemplating wearing my wetsuit...

aquaratza, Oct 22 2019 05:09

These replies fill me with *great* confidence.

Let the GEES flow? ahahahahahaha  :nuke:

Delarey, Oct 22 2019 05:31

I've done W2W 5 times and although the nice days are awesome when you ride them, the days you remember are the ones that test your endurance. Very wet ride in 2013, Way over 40 degree on day 1 in 2014 (Race), Severe cold snap, rain and wind on day 3 2015 (Adventure) and severe storm winds on day 1 in 2017 (Adventure). Those are the days I remember. The beautiful days in between all seem to just mesh into one.

Have fun guys!

Edit: I learned about chain-suck on a mud ride on W2W. It’s a terrible thing. I think 1x drive trains might be immune, but its worthwhile to check the condition of your front chainrings if you are not on 1x.

Jako De Wet, Oct 23 2019 07:33

Can anyone do a bag drop on race morning? We are not sleeping in the tents, live close enough, so driving through each day. I was wondering if we can pack a bag with warm clothes for afterwards on day 1? 

DieselnDust, Oct 23 2019 07:57

Just leave the bag in your car

ChristiaanSt, Oct 23 2019 08:00

Can anyone do a bag drop on race morning? We are not sleeping in the tents, live close enough, so driving through each day. I was wondering if we can pack a bag with warm clothes for afterwards on day 1? 

Come stay in tents like the rest of us  :ph34r:

Jako De Wet, Oct 23 2019 08:09

Just leave the bag in your car

Um the car will be in Lourensford...car will be fine for day 2

CJ Van, Oct 23 2019 08:28

Um the car will be in Lourensford...car will be fine for day 2

Jaco, jy hoef nie in die village te slaap om 'n sak deur te stuur nie.  Drop jou sak met droe klere en stuff by die DHL trokkies.  Maak net seker jy merk dit mooi.  Niemand wil na die tyd in nat lycra rond loop nie maar meer belangrik, niemand wil jou na die tyd in nat lycra sien nie.