Tips and Advice

Podcast: Q&A with the Coaches – Episode 3

· By Bike Hub Features · 0 comments

In our new podcast series Q&A with the Coaches, you can ask the experts from Science2Sport your cycling training and racing related questions. The team at Science2Sport, which includes leading sports scientists, Dr Jeroen Swart, Dr Mike Posthumus, and Benoit Capostagno, will be addressing the answers to your cycling related queries, along with local mountain bike pioneer Steve Bowman adding his insight.

The Q&A with the Coaches podcast series is available on SoundCloud and iTunes.

The topics covered in Episode Three:

• What are the benefits and drawbacks of combining starvation with high-intensity interval training (HIIT)? (at 30 seconds)
  • What’s the best training advice someone has ever given you? (at 7 minutes 44 seconds)
  • How should one consume energy drinks and gels in long events? (at 8 minutes 20 seconds)
  • How important is the role of genetics in an athlete’s VO2 max? (at 15 minutes 13 seconds)
  • Beating the afternoon slump. Early morning training vs evening training? (at 28 minutes 48 seconds)

Previous podcast by the Science2Sport team for Bike Hub:

Episode 2: Listen here

• Is there a desired training stress score (TTS) that you should be looking for?
  • With the correct pedals stroke, will there still be dead spots?
  • How important is base training? Are there more efficient options?
  • For someone with limited training time, is it more beneficial to focus on cycling for fitness or is cross-training worthwhile?
  • I want to start training more seriously, should I buy a power meter for my average aluminium road bike or should I rather use the money towards a good carbon race bike?

Episode 1: Listen here

• Demystifying a rumour that Steve Bowman wheelied from Hout Bay to Camps Bay
  • At what intensity point does your body utilize fat to a greater extent than carbohydrates and protein?
  • What causes cramps and what is the best way to prevent it or relieve it when it happens?
  • I am moving from the half marathon distance to the full marathon distance next year. How should my training change for the increased distance?
  • Is there a way to get better at riding in high temperatures?
  • Would riding with a dropper seat post be beneficial within South African marathon races?

Submit your questions:

Here’s your chance to ask any cycling training, racing or nutrition related questions you have. Please submit your questions via the form below or leave a comment.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment