Events

Vintage L’Eroica ride comes to South Africa

· By Press Office · 22 comments

Over the weekend of 23/24 April 2016, Montagu in the Western Cape will host the first edition of Eroica South Africa.

The historic Eroica brand has travelled well internationally and South Africa will be the first southern hemisphere destination on the calendar.

Eroica South Africa is to take place in and around Montagu. The beautiful Route 62 town is overlooked by the Langeberg and Swartberg Mountain ranges. As with other Eroica events, there will be a few different route options – 150km, 90km and 40km to fit most levels of fitness and passion.

Montagu is situated in a narrow valley on the southern edge of the greater Karoo. This semi-arid desert covers almost a third of South Africa’s total land area. Low rainfall, cloudless sky, extreme temperatures and an unforgiving, yet beautiful landscape characterize the Karoo.

Montagu has a very active farming community producing wine, olives and farming various fruits. The town also has it’s own hot springs, an old English fort and has big 5 game reserves nearby.

As with all other Eroica events, riders must ride period steel framed bikes with down tube shifters, original parts, and authentic clothing. Mustaches optional. Many of the bikes, will be Bianchi’s, Cinelli’s and Peugots, but international riders will see many new bike names at Eroica South Africa.

The country has a strong history of local steel framed biked building that was grew as imported bikes were less and less accessible. The longevity and quality has led a resurgence in the restoration of many of these fine steeds. Bikes from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s with names such as Alpina, Hansom, Lejeune, Delange and Sancini are still riding the streets of Johannesburg and Cape Town today.

All routes will start in Montagu and the riders hit gravel road on the edge of town. The longer versions will then proceed out of the valley up onto the Karoo plateau. This is achieved via the gravel Ouberg Pas – a good drive in an off-road vehicle – a serious undertaking on a heroic steel frame bike.

The vastness of the Karoo becomes apparent as the riders arrive on top of the plateau. All they will see ahead is sparsely vegetated flat arid land. Fortunately the routes turn and riders will traverse the edge of the plateau, up and down past isolated farmsteads and rusty windmills, before dropping back down into the relatively lush valley and back onto the paved roads into Montagu.

Refreshment stops along the way will be supported by the local farming communities supplying fruit, cheese, wine and maybe some local mampoer – a sharp local fruit liquor. Not too many gels and energy drinks on this event.

On the culinary and hospitality side, the Karoo and the Western Cape are famous for lamb, wine and great feasts. After the ride, all participants will gather in the town to be a large Karoo lamb spit-braai (barbecue) produced by a top local chef, and finished off with refreshments provided by the award-winning local wine farms.

L’Eroica means ‘the heroic’ in Italian and covering the distances and terrain on these ancient steeds, fuelled by cheese and wine, certainly calls on ones inner hero.

Early bird registrations open 1 November 2015. Sign up for notifications about this event here.

Comments

HeyYou

Oct 24, 2015, 9:55 AM

ABSABLOODYLOOTLY

eddy

Oct 24, 2015, 10:00 AM

Mmmmmm, a week or so after 36One..........

Maybe a few days in the Klein Karoo are in order.......

Guest notmyname

Oct 24, 2015, 11:41 AM

Rad. Best I start finishing mine.

DJR

Oct 24, 2015, 12:04 PM

Very very cool! Perhaps I'll just put different wheels on the Colnago (they better allow titanium bikes or else) because 22 tubbies are going to struggle with gravel. Oooh, and a bigger 8 speed cassette please, or the legs will hurt on Ouberg Pass.

olffie1

Oct 24, 2015, 2:50 PM

Awesome guys.....what we need are more guidelines from the organisers on bikes that enter this event and what is permissable and what is not.

Loose cog

Oct 25, 2015, 10:40 AM

Cool, I am in! How many weeks to do the 150km?

HeyYou

Oct 25, 2015, 12:38 PM

Can't find a website, or any info, other than this article.

Anyone know?

Eppie

Oct 25, 2015, 3:59 PM

I am getting my Bianchi ready.

danfuterman

Oct 26, 2015, 6:50 AM

Anyone know?

There's an email address on the cards they had at ACF - info@eroicasouthafrica.com - there was an issue with emails bouncing back, but that might be resolved now.

Shebeen

Oct 26, 2015, 7:00 AM

there there there. now time to find that bike.

Iwan Kemp

Oct 26, 2015, 9:59 AM

Anyone know?

Website is up

http://eroicasouthafrica.com/

DJR

Oct 26, 2015, 10:02 AM

Subscribed!
Iwan Kemp

Oct 26, 2015, 10:10 AM

Subscribed!

Always nice to see you youngsters also getting involved!  ;)

kjind

Oct 26, 2015, 10:26 AM

Wow. this should be awesome. Now to find my Vitus

DJR

Oct 26, 2015, 10:29 AM

Always nice to see you youngsters also getting involved!  ;)

....and just like that I have justification to buy and restore 2 more retro bikes without the wife having any reason for complaint.....
Iwan Kemp

Oct 26, 2015, 10:43 AM

....and just like that I have justification to buy and restore 2 more retro bikes without the wife having any reason for complaint.....

Well, that didn't take much!  :D

HeyYou

Oct 27, 2015, 9:36 AM

Just booked my accommodation!!!!!!!!

I can recommend

Shirley Trafford
Koo Karoo Guest Lodge

http://www.kookaroo.co.za/

info@kookaroo.co.za

I've stayed there before, very nice, quite small and very, very reasonable. 

I've told Shirley that I'm recommending her, so if you enquire, quote that you'll be doing the ride and she'll give you a better rate.

For those of you that know my name, you can say I recommended you  ..... trust me I don't get a comm out of it, I just know Shirley.

olffie1

Dec 3, 2015, 5:59 PM

Does anyone know what is happening about the above event? ........everything has gone quite about it and I am sure there are many vintage boys wanting to know more about the regulations etc!!!

Stan Engelbrecht

Dec 9, 2015, 11:36 AM

Does anyone know what is happening about the above event? ........everything has gone quite about it and I am sure there are many vintage boys wanting to know more about the regulations etc!!!

Hi olffie1. We are working hard finalising the routes around Montagu, as well as securing spaces for various aspects of the event. Please be sure to sign up to the mailing list on www.eroicasouthafrica.com and we'll keep you up to date with developments. In the meantime have a look at http://eroicabritannia.co.uk/general-information/bike-rules for regulations, but know that there will be a second category with slightly relaxed rules for South Africa.

olffie1

Dec 9, 2015, 12:00 PM

Fantastic Stan, booked guesthouse and bringing the boys from PE and Plett to this fantastic event.

We are definitely already on the mailing list and look forward to all the new developements etc.

js1974

Dec 10, 2015, 6:57 AM

Wow this should be a great events time too rebuild the Peugeot

Stan Engelbrecht

Jan 15, 2016, 1:35 PM

Hi guys. We're working on getting the website up and running, and we'll be open for registration very soon. In the meantime head over to our official Eroica South Africa Facebook page and Like us for constant updates leading up to the event. 

Hope to see you all at the start line in Montagu on 23 April!

Let's ride!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment