Adventure and Travel

Race Report: Isuzu Trucks PE Plett Day 3

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 0 comments

Day 3 of the Isuzu Trucks PE Plett took us on a 69km route from Soloko Game Reserve to Tsitsikamma Falls. Again the recent flooding had an impact on our route, although this time the organisers had no option but to skip the too muddy parts of the course through the Tsitsikamma forest. This was to be the first year the event would enter the forest and would have been a real treat for us forest-lacking Cape Tonions.

PE Plett-2.jpg

PE Plett-3.jpg

Organising any mountain biking event, stage races in particular, is a pretty daunting prospect. Route planning, marking, food and accomodation and the logistical pressures of race village set up and break down. Red Cherry Adventures, the team behind the Isuzu Trucks PE Plett, have been faced with one major challenge this year. Mother nature threw a curve-ball of note with rains which flooded not only the route, but many of the access roads leaving crew vehicles and trucks stranded on the impassable roads.

Although the mud, route changes and logistics challenges might have been a bitter pill to swallow for some riders, for the Red Cherry team it’s about as close to “worst case scenario” you can get. Despite the challenges Mike, Siska and the entire crew have gone out of their way to make it all work mostly seamlessly. And the few initial grumbles aside, I get the feeling that most riders have embraced the mud and water in all aspects (some literally of course).

From what I’ve encountered the vibe in the race village has been very upbeat. I’d say that has a little to do with the smaller field, somehow everyone seems to be more familiar and friendly. But also a certain level of acceptance when it comes to the conditions we riders and particularly the crew have been faced with. Although us riders are no doubt disappointed the damage and changes to what should have been a spectacular route, the forces at work are well outside anyone’s control.

But back to today’s ride. Ray’s words below best describe our day and the experience so far.

PE Plett-4.jpg

Ray’s take on Day 3:

I usually laugh at people who blow up in races. We call it a mushroom. Today I was one of them. There was no laughing at all. I’m not quite sure what it was, probably a combination of factors; too much sunshine on stage 2, not drinking enough, not taking recovery seriously enough, perhaps I ate something dodgy, whatever it was I was not feeling healthy. I skipped dinner last night and spent some time checking out the stars and giving the grassy knoll beneath the dam a thorough vomiting. When morning came I was only able to eat some dry bread and grateful to hear that today’s stage would be slightly shortened due to the crazy amount of water flowing through these parts at the moment.

mushroom2.jpgThe “mushroom” moment captured on GoPro

The vibe in the peloton this morning was decidedly different from yesterday. There was no chit chat, no banter, no jokes. I think everyone was suffering from an exercise-hangover after the long stage 2. Out on route mostly all you could hear was the rush of water flowing next to the road, the screech of unhappy brakes, and my own grunting. I was not in a happy place.

The thing with stage races, why I think they make a great holiday and adventure, is that everything is intensified. You experience everything to the next level. When you get to the finish line and get handed a chocolate milk, the joy and appreciation is more tangible. That chocolate milk is amazing. When you are so tired and depleted food tastes better, a soft shady patch of grass is such a comfort, and sitting down on anything that isn’t a saddle brings joy to your body. Even showering is so much better, because you are so much more sweaty and dirty, with mud in all kinds of difficult-to-wash places.

PE Plett-5.jpg

Today I didn’t see much of the route. I couldn’t really eat anything and even drinking was difficult. I spent most of the time staring at Matt’s Dark Horse carbon rear wheel and trying to keep my Spank front wheel as close to it as possible. It was hot. We went through some rivers and some Cape Pine forest which reminded me of Grabouw in the Western Cape. I was in a dark place, crying for the finish line and Matt was very patient. In stage racing these things happen. It’s pretty terrible at the time, but you look back fondly on those ‘tough days’ in the saddle. They make for good stories and teach you a lot about yourself. Statistics show that you gain much more value for money when you buy ‘experiences’ over ‘things’. A new tv or a fancy pair of sunnies gets old quick. You don’t sit around a braai talking about them two years on. But experiences are priceless. Their value appreciates over time. I’ll look back and have a story to tell when I finally finish this Isuzu Trucks PE Plett. My advice though, don’t underestimate how hard these things are.

PE Plett-6.jpg

Photo credit: Thanks to BRUCE VIAENE PHOTOGRAPHY for the images from today – www.bvphoto.co.za

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment