Two very important events occurred in relation to this event, the first of which was the 23mm of rain that we received on Saturday evening. This might not seem stellar, but with the current state of affairs, it meant some much-needed moisture for fauna and flora, and some much desired tacky trails for the riders. Secondly, thanks to the talented guys at Mobii, we were rewarded with accurate, live and fully functional timing. To those not in the know, there’s been a fair amount of issues and frustrations around previous WP Gravity Enduro events with regard to timing, and everybody was hopeful that things would come together eventually. And it did.
Fresh from the EWS circuit, Matt Lombardi applied everything he learned in ultra wet conditions overseas and put on the perfect display of speed and control, taking all four stage victories. Second place, however, deserves a special mention as 16-year-old Keira Duncan traveled down from KZN, and with only one practice ride in Jonkershoek under the belt, came in just 32 seconds behind Lombardi. Rounding out the podium in 3rd spot, a mere 4.2 seconds behind Duncan, is the ever threatening Gary Barnard. 4th place was taken by David Hogan and 5th place by the very talented 14-year-old Luke Moir.
Top 10 overall:
1. Matt Lombardi 1st ELITE MEN | 04:30.168 | 04:51.834 | 04:42.693 | 04:25.967 | 18:30.662 -
2. Keira Duncan 1st JUNIOR MEN | 04:33.823 | 04:53.071 | 04:52.684 | 04:43.355 | 19:02.933 +00:32.271
3. Gary Barnard 1st VETERAN MEN | 04:40.503 | 05:01.928 | 04:45.100 | 04:39.567 | 19:07.098 +00:36.436
4. David Hogan 2nd ELITE MEN | 05:16.016 | 04:57.595 | 04:51.943 | 04:35.093 | 19:40.647 +01:09.985
5. Luke Moir 1st YOUTH MEN | 04:45.171 | 05:03.479 | 04:55.035 | 04:58.235 | 19:41.920 +01:11.258
6. James Coetzer 3rd ELITE MEN | 04:50.976 | 05:04.427 | 05:03.057 | 04:54.392 | 19:52.852 +01:22.190
7. Rupert von Tutschek 4th ELITE MEN | 04:49.004 | 05:17.772 | 05:25.891 | 04:41.625 | 20:14.292 +01:43.630
8. Craig Rhodes-Harrison 5th ELITE MEN | 05:01.746 | 05:14.310 | 05:10.529 | 04:51.330 | 20:17.915 +01:47.253
9. Matt van Galen 6th ELITE MEN | 04:53.132 | 05:15.880 | 05:12.211 | 04:56.889 | 20:18.112 +01:47.450
10. Jasper Barrett 2nd YOUTH MEN | 04:52.590 | 05:10.602 | 05:16.020 | 05:03.853 | 20:23.065 +01:52.403
Full Results can be viewed here.
Official race gallery can be viewed here.
A big thank you goes out to SRAM, Mobii, Ass Magic, Imbi, MacSound and Helivac for helping the 2017 season off to a great start.