Adventure and Travel

Braamfontein Spruit Adventure Trail Management Plan

· By Press Office · 8 comments

In May 2016, Next Step Consulting (NSC) was appointed by Johannesburg City Park and Zoo (JCPZ) to develop the Braamfontein Spruit Adventure Trail Management Plan.

The need for a management plan to facilitate recreational use of the Braamfontein Spruit area (the land running alongside the banks of the Braamfontein Spruit) has been increasingly highlighted over the past few years. The ‘Spruit’, as locals commonly refer it to, is a much-loved resource that provides over 30km of trails for various user groups.

ccs-62657-0-52949200-1469104770.jpgDelta Park. Photo credit: NSC.

Non-recreational users include commuters who travel by foot and by bicycle, and groups of people who have taken up residence in open areas along the waterway. Mostly the settlements are temporary, and the transient communities shift periodically under pressure from authorities, as it is illegal to settle on public land.

Recreational users include walkers, dog walkers, runners, mountain bikers and horse riders. Family groups use the areas to spend time together walking, picnicking, playing with various toys and enjoying specific playgrounds set up for children. Additionally, the Braamfontein Spruit has religious significance and certain sites along the water way are used for church services and baptisms.

With many different types of recreational and non-recreational users accessing what is essentially a +-30km green belt, unsurprisingly, conflict occurs between users. Various socio-economic and environmental impacts on the Braamfontein Spruit area also occur and in some cases become visible. These issues are often highlighted to JCPZ by interest groups such as residents associations and environmental interest groups.

The purpose of the development of the Braamfontein Spruit Adventure Trail Management Plan is essentially to reduce conflict, reduce risk and put in a place a management system that allows the best experience possible for all law abiding user groups of the Spruit. The aim is to encourage use of the Braamfontein Spruit trail system, not to reduce access to it or diminish from the current experiences that people cherish.

Developing a comprehensive trail management plan includes: environmental scoping (on impacts of existing recreational use and trails); recommendations towards best physical and management practices; liability and legality considerations; and operational business planning (which includes funding models, marketing and branding recommendations).

The trail management plan will be used a guideline for management along the Braamfontein Spruit in terms on trail use, as well as any further trail related developments along the Spruit. The trail management plan will highlight areas of management concern (such as extensive litter issues related to unregulated and informal recycling businesses, and the issue of transient/displaced communities living on the Spruit). However it must be clearly noted that providing solutions to these systemic socio-economic problems is beyond the scope of the Braamfontein Spruit Adventure Trail Management Plan project.

The Braamfontein Spruit Adventure Trail Management Plan project is being managed through participatory methods, which involves the formulation of a Project Steering Committee (PSC) with representatives of all trail user groups, interest groups, residents associations, as well as government department representatives. An inception meeting was held on the 31st of May in Johannesburg, and the first PSC meeting will take place on the 21st of July, 2016.

For further information or any queries, please contact Kathryn Fourie on kath@nsconsulting.co.za

Comments

KathF

Jul 21, 2016, 12:02 PM

Hey there, I am Kath (who is referred to at the bottom of the press release). You're welcome to ask me anything that isn't clear in the Press Release - but essentially we're doing some research into risk management on the Spruit to build a trail management plan - emphasis being on 'plan' - as in a set of guidelines for JCPZ on recreational trail management. We want to be inclusive of all user groups (as much as possible) and the mountain bikers are currently well represented on the Project Steering Committee. Thanks :)

Danger Dassie

Jul 21, 2016, 12:03 PM

As they say, they've been appointed to asses and appoint a trail management plan. Long due and no doubt an unenviable task, knowing Kath and Matt though I think they'll do a good job.

News bot

Jul 21, 2016, 12:40 PM

In May 2016, Next Step Consulting (NSC) was appointed by Johannesburg City Park and Zoo (JCPZ) to develop the Braamfontein Spruit Adventure Trail Management Plan.

Click here to view the article
cat-i

Jul 28, 2016, 6:27 AM

Can't find this link anywhere else on the hub 

Next Step Consulting: Braamfontein Spruit External Stakeholder Insights (Defined)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/V3VFZRQ

nonky

Jul 28, 2016, 7:27 AM

Hey there, I am Kath (who is referred to at the bottom of the press release). You're welcome to ask me anything that isn't clear in the Press Release - but essentially we're doing some research into risk management on the Spruit to build a trail management plan - emphasis being on 'plan' - as in a set of guidelines for JCPZ on recreational trail management. We want to be inclusive of all user groups (as much as possible) and the mountain bikers are currently well represented on the Project Steering Committee. Thanks :)

Hi Kath,

Please note that the Survey contains questions that are confusing, e.g. Q11 and Q17 (IIRC).

Thank you.

KathF

Jul 28, 2016, 8:22 AM

Hi Kath,

Please note that the Survey contains questions that are confusing, e.g. Q11 and Q17 (IIRC).

Thank you.

Hi there, 

Thanks yes we realised Question 17 was not worded well. I will look into changing it today, and will look at Question 11. Haven't had issues with that one so far, but will check it out. Thanks for the feedback!

*UPDATE* - have changed the wording so it is not ambiguous. 

cat-i

Aug 24, 2016, 11:05 AM

Received a link to a new survey today. Mainly the money-questions.

The new survey is here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FS6J7TZ

Pieter1

Aug 24, 2016, 6:07 PM

Received a link to a new survey today. Mainly the money-questions.

The new survey is here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FS6J7TZ

Hey. Were you at the meeting at the enviromental centre when this was discussed? Just curious as I was but have not recieved any further comunication.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment