Adventure and Travel

Karkloof Mountain Bike Trails: Temporary Closures and Rerouting

· By Press Office · 14 comments

Sappi and Karkloof Mountain Biking work together to try and ensure safe and sustainable mountain biking in the Karkloof Valley in KwaZulu-Natal.

A period of large-scale harvesting started in mid-October in Karkloof, which has resulted in a number of trails on the Karkloof Falls side of the Karkloof Road being rerouted. This is a temporary situation, and the original trails will be reopened after the harvesting and timber-hauling activity is complete. The Karkloof Mountain Bike Club will be working as efficiently as possible to repair and reopen trails in February/March 2016.

Kathryn Fourie, of the Sappi Mountain Bike Project explained, “Harvesting of trees is a standard forestry activity that affects day-to-day mountain biking in the Karkloof Valley, Howick and Lions River areas. We are exceptionally fortunate to work with Sappi foresters and contractors who take into consideration the needs of mountain bikers, and they work with the trail custodians (MTB Clubs) to ensure the safety of cyclists and to investigate alternative route options”.

ccs-62657-0-30105900-1448653983.jpg

Commenting on the public’s reaction to the closures Fourie said “Some riders express frustration with closures but on the whole people understand. The harversting, loading and hauling of timber is non-stop and huge timber trucks drive along large sections of jeep track that often form part of the beginner or intermediate trails. Sappi and the trail custodians take no chances with the safety of the public, and closing off the affected areas entirely was the most responsible decision in this situation”.

Fourie added that there are a multitude of options available to riders coming into the holiday season, with over 80km of marked trail around the Karkloof Country Club itself. “The 30km Loop, which includes fantastic trails like Fawlty Towers, Bruisers Burn, the Carnival, Free Fall, Dragons Back and Boogaloos has been unaffected by the closure. The newly rerouted trails include the Supa20, which incorporates the legendary Sid Vicious descent. A moderate 20km and 10km loop have also been plotted, which are great for families and beginner riders. We’ve had great feedback on the new Supa20 in particular”. So despite the rerouting of certain trails there are still plenty of options available to riders wishing to experience some of the best trails in South Africa. In fact the new sections have refreshed some of the routes.

For more information on Karkloof Mountain Biking visit www.facebook.com/Karkloofmtb or http://karkloofmtbtrails.co.za.

About the Sappi Mountain Bike Project

The Sappi Mountain Bike Project was established in 2011 as a formal approach to managing mountain biking on Sappi’s properties in KwaZulu-Natal and Mpumalanga. Sappi works with mountain biking stakeholders to try and ensure safe and sustainable mountain biking on their land.

Tags: ,

Comments

GlennH

Nov 30, 2015, 1:20 PM

The New 20 km route is sooooooo much better than the old one. Well done Karkloof. The new Supa 20 also rocks, excuse the pun, it now includes a refurbished Sid Vicious, totally awesome route for those who love a little technical in their ride. Well done again Karkloof :)

Lance Roberts

Nov 30, 2015, 1:23 PM

Will this affect the Trailblazer ride in December?

GlennH

Nov 30, 2015, 1:56 PM

Dont think so at all. There are so many trails to make up an awesome route. The guys at Karkloof are famous for making new trails if needs be. I'll be entering the trailblazer just to see what challenges they have in store for us this year around :)

kylezn

Dec 1, 2015, 6:47 AM

The new Supa 20 is awesome! I hope once the tree felling is finished they keep this route plus open the old one or combine the two and make it a Supa 40 :)

JPD

Dec 2, 2015, 1:39 PM

Does this affect the outride routes at all? Rene's, Jewitts, Batt-outta-hell, etc?

Bizkit031

Dec 2, 2015, 1:58 PM

Does this affect the outride routes at all? Rene's, Jewitts, Batt-outta-hell, etc?

According to the map it does not that is if I am reading it right.
tux26

Dec 2, 2015, 2:23 PM

The Lebanon climb is still closed, so Bat Outta Hell is not rideable.

The rest of the Out Back Trails are open

Andrew Steer

Dec 2, 2015, 2:27 PM

Note to self: Must get my ass back to Karkloof  :drool:

blondeonabike

Dec 2, 2015, 2:35 PM

Note to self: Must get my ass back to Karkloof  :drool:

Lemme know when you do.....Ill  show you around Howick trails too

Flippa

Dec 2, 2015, 4:18 PM

So, I'll be in the area from 26 December. Anything I need to look out for, other than organising a day pass and keeping away from the logging? Can anybody share gpx files for the various routes?

blondeonabike

Dec 2, 2015, 4:47 PM

So, I'll be in the area from 26 December. Anything I need to look out for, other than organising a day pass and keeping away from the logging? Can anybody share gpx files for the various routes?

pm sent. Got lots of files for you

Spoke101

Dec 2, 2015, 6:23 PM

Same here. Drop me a message when you get down and we can make a plan to set you up with a few groups.

Chris NewbyFraser

Dec 29, 2015, 8:12 AM

I am going to the Karkloof for a week after new year.I recall seeing a note that said all the Karkloof trails were closed due to timber felling. There is no note on the Karkloof web site about this. Can anybody tell me more or direct me to a site which gives detail.

Mousea

Dec 29, 2015, 8:47 AM

The trails have just been re-routed.More than enough to ride on

Add a comment

You must log in to comment