Adventure and Travel

Revised Environmental Management Programme for cycling in TMNP released for comment

· By Press Office · 23 comments

SANParks and the Table Mountain Mountain Bike (TMMTB) Forum have over the past few months been revising the current 2002 cycling Environmental Management Programme (EMP) for the Table Mountain National Park (TMNP). A draft of the revised EMP will be released for public comment on Monday, 4 April on the TMNP and TMMTB Forum websites while hardcopies of the report and maps will be available at various libraries throughout the Cape metropolitan area and selected TMNP offices.

The purpose of revising the EMP is to update the current programme, to confirm existing cycling routes and to propose new routes. The EMP includes an updated Code of Conduct which comprises both cycling etiquette and compliance requirements to ensure safe, friendly and environmentally responsible cycling in the TMNP.

Acting TMNP Park Manager Gavin Bell, said the review was long overdue and that the Park has been working with the widely representative Forum to produce a robust and practical EMP to guide and manage both mountain biking and road cycling in the Park into the future. Bell said he is encouraged by the identification of additional cycling routes to complement the existing network and thanked the Forum and Park staff for the hard work in getting the new routes into the draft EMP for public comment.

Meurant Botha, chairperson of the TMMTB Forum, stated that the Forum has made strong inputs to update and improve the EMP and to introduce new cycling routes which are proposed to extend the current network of cycling routes in the Park and improve linkages in the network.

The process and review of the TMNP cycling and mountain biking EMP is being facilitated by Simon Nicks from CNdV Africa to whom comments can be emailed: planning@cndv.co.za.

Mountain bikers, road cyclists, other Park recreational users and the general public are invited to comment on the EMP which will be available from Monday, 4 April 2016 for viewing at the following Public Libraries: Athlone, Bellville, Cape Town: Central, Claremont, Fish Hoek, Grassy Park, Gugulethu, Hout Bay, Khayelitsha, Langa, Mitchell’s Plain Town Centre, Mowbray, Simon’s Town and Tokai and at TMNP offices: Kloof Nek, Tokai Manor, Silvermine and Boulders.

The revised Environmental Management Programme is available for download HERE.

Comment dates:

Date open: 4 April 2016
Date closed: 4 May 2016

Comments

Hairy

Apr 4, 2016, 2:28 PM

Sorry ... getting excited here ... essentially a link from signal hill to cape point eventually (would include a bit of tar in places, but if all works and a few additional trails are added one can get a really phenomenal trail ride in!?!?!?!

The trails around signal hill are awesome (or so I am told .....) and would be a great addition to the legal TM trails.

Well done and best wishes to all those involved.

Headshot

Apr 4, 2016, 4:23 PM

Peeps, please download it and send in your supportive comments. This EMP has the potential to expand the legal riding areas in Cape town hugely. Go for it!

dirtypot

Apr 5, 2016, 8:31 AM

I'm really excited about this!  It opens up the mountain a lot more.

I was hoping to have slightly more access to the mountain, example - from Cecilia around the top of Kirstenbosch to Rhodes mem.  They do mention this link in the draft, but I'd love to see it come into action!  There's already a dirt road there.  Another would be a link from Tokai to Constantia Nek.  I know this is more complex, but it would be nice.  At least there is now an alternative on the green belts.

An off road route from Red Hill to Cape Point would also have been epic! 

Great work though guys!  I really appreciate the massive amount of effort that's gone into getting this right!  

I like the new link from Silvermine into Tokai!  Can't wait for that to open!

Shebeen

Apr 5, 2016, 1:05 PM

I'm really excited about this!  It opens up the mountain a lot more.

I was hoping to have slightly more access to the mountain, example - from Cecilia around the top of Kirstenbosch to Rhodes mem.  They do mention this link in the draft, but I'd love to see it come into action!  There's already a dirt road there.  Another would be a link from Tokai to Constantia Nek.  I know this is more complex, but it would be nice.  At least there is now an alternative on the green belts.

An off road route from Red Hill to Cape Point would also have been epic! 

Great work though guys!  I really appreciate the massive amount of effort that's gone into getting this right!  

I like the new link from Silvermine into Tokai!  Can't wait for that to open!

I agree. It's good that certain routes are mentioned even if just as possibilities. I will be submitting a response.

HOWEVER I really feel that the mountain is wholly underutilised for mtb/hiking/running etc and a lot more usage should be allowed/encouraged. I don't see any out the box proposals that would get me excited in the short term future.

This route facilitates access to and from the City Bowl and will initiate the start of a continuous trail along the length of the Peninsula.

NOW, we're talking! but then that's it.

I feel that the

a) loop around table mountain north (deerpark=>newlands=>houtbay=>pipetrack=>deer park)

b)end to end off road trail from greenpoint to cape point

Should both be a medium term goal. I don't see funding being an issue for this, the city and local government should be behind it. .....but that's where it stops.

i24

May 2, 2016, 7:45 PM

Closing date for comments is the day after tomorrow! That is 4th May 2016. I have downloaded and read the document and will submit my comments in the next 24 hours.

If you are going to comment, best download and read the document first. You can find it over here:

https://cdn.bikehub.co.za/uploads/TMNP_Cycling_EMP_draft_for_comment_04April2016.pdf

Take note of the instructions for submitting comments. I think they expect comments mainly from scientists and representative bodies but that does not mean cyclists cannot also have their say. Also it is probably best if they receive more positive comments from cyclists than negative ones from other Park users.

If you are going to look at the document, you probably want to read from page 16, "Proposed Additional routes" to page 18 "Possible Future Routes". :clap:

But we should all pause to take note on page 20 of "Code of Conduct" :whistling:

But if you have not got time for reading, jump straight to page 27 and drool over the maps!

:thumbup:

splat

May 4, 2016, 2:07 PM

This closes today.

I hope that everyone has submitted positive comments and I REALLY hope that some awesome improvements are made for us cyclists to enjoy.

Shebeen

May 4, 2016, 2:28 PM

This closes today.

I hope that everyone has submitted positive comments and I REALLY hope that some awesome improvements are made for us cyclists to enjoy.

mine went in.

Tokai bike city here we come (eventually)

(Deon)

May 5, 2016, 6:25 AM

Don't know what to make of this figure but my knee-jerk reaction when hearing how many comments have been submitted is to ask how many mountain bikers are out there?

171?

Surely not, when you consider that some of these comments will be opposed to some of the plans. So, less?

Regardless, I would place a firm bet that the majority would have approved the doc and the proposed routes (not to say that this puts us out of the woods yet, there could be one comment in opposition that makes a very valid point...).

Fingers crossed.

dirtypot

May 5, 2016, 6:38 AM

:eek:

To everyone who didn't comment - you guys all suck.

(Deon)

Jun 8, 2016, 3:51 PM

Meeting on the 15th to review the complied comments and responses. Nearly there!!

Mntboy

Jun 21, 2016, 2:35 AM

Meeting on the 15th to review the complied comments and responses. Nearly there!!

Any feedback concerning the meeting Deon? Would love to know the latest.
(Deon)

Jun 21, 2016, 4:33 AM

We met and discussed the format for responses to the comments received.

A few prickly points came up in the comments and as such a site visit to the areas in question will need to be conducted. Dates are booked for the 28th and 30th but by this time most of the other responses should be compiled; meaning we will be very close to sign-off should the site visit go our way - if not then we'll surely need to make a call about the areas to not hold up the rest of the process..

Of 171 comments, 144 were pro.

Mntboy

Jun 21, 2016, 5:08 AM

A few prickly points came up in the comments and as such a site visit to the areas in question will need to be conducted. Dates are booked for the 28th and 30th but by this time most of the other responses should be compiled; meaning we will be very close to sign-off should the site visit go our way - if not then we'll surely need to make a call about the areas to not hold up the rest of the process..

That's good news Deon! [emoji106]

Best of luck with the site visits, hoping it goes your/our way!

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

Mntboy

Jul 10, 2016, 7:04 AM

So how did these go?

(Deon)

Jul 10, 2016, 10:29 AM

So how did these go?

Really well actually. We have our first draft of responses and the site visits were something worth doing.

Mntboy

Jul 11, 2016, 4:59 PM

Really well actually. We have our first draft of responses and the site visits were something worth doing.

https://twitter.com/AMA_TokaiMTB/status/750302724697296896

So essentially the process is inching along then. The future is looking very bright!

That's a nice photo of Muizenberg to Kalk bay (at a guess).

Shebeen

Jul 12, 2016, 1:01 PM

We're going to need the names and addresses of the 27 anti commenters... Seriously, this is public surely? can't find it here http://cndv.co.za

(Deon)

Jul 12, 2016, 1:21 PM

We're going to need the names and addresses of the 27 anti commenters... Seriously, this is public surely? can't find it here http://cndv.co.za

..and of those 27, 2 warranted site inspections. Just 7 minutes ago I received the notes of the two inspections and it should be noted that hiking and running have their own significant impacts on the environment. It is wrong to assume that mtb will need extensive and exhaustive studies in order to share an existing trail. If anything, we need more signage for hikers informing them of the need to stay on the trails...????

You are right, it will be public as soon as the responses are compiled.. he says with a sense of trepidation.

Da Vinci

Jul 13, 2016, 7:09 AM

I wish I had seen this earlier! The potential for tourism is huge! Good luck guys!!

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Jul 13, 2016, 7:26 AM

..and of those 27, 2 warranted site inspections. Just 7 minutes ago I received the notes of the two inspections and it should be noted that hiking and running have their own significant impacts on the environment. It is wrong to assume that mtb will need extensive and exhaustive studies in order to share an existing trail. If anything, we need more signage for hikers informing them of the need to stay on the trails...

You are right, it will be public as soon as the responses are compiled.. he says with a sense of trepidation.

DUAL USE TRAIL! DUAL USE TRAIL! DUAL USE TRAIL!!!

(Deon)

Jul 13, 2016, 8:57 AM

I wish I had seen this earlier! The potential for tourism is huge! Good luck guys!!

Tell everyone you know who rides mountain bikes! 

Headshot

Jul 13, 2016, 9:07 AM

..and of those 27, 2 warranted site inspections. Just 7 minutes ago I received the notes of the two inspections and it should be noted that hiking and running have their own significant impacts on the environment. It is wrong to assume that mtb will need extensive and exhaustive studies in order to share an existing trail. If anything, we need more signage for hikers informing them of the need to stay on the trails...

Deon, is this your opinion or that of TMNP or some expert? Whose notes were these? Agreed, education of all parties is essential and signage for runners and walkers to stay on trails but also to expect bikes on a trail is a must. 

(Deon)

Jul 13, 2016, 10:55 AM

Deon, is this your opinion or that of TMNP or some expert? Whose notes were these? Agreed, education of all parties is essential and signage for runners and walkers to stay on trails but also to expect bikes on a trail is a must. 

It was general consensus to one comment asking that a rather detailed study first be conducted. Within a few minutes on the first trail we could already see that many of the concerns are already a factor, not something new that would be introduced through a new user group.. 

If the concerns expressed were really an issue, the study should in fact include all current user groups and would probably result in the paths not being used at all. 

The good news is that some trails are very well suited to mountain bikes as the gradient does not allow for high speed and in other places low vegetation allows good viz. 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment