Adventure and Travel

Trail review: Garden Route Trail Park

· By Press Office · 26 comments

There has been a lot of talk about the Garden Route Trail Park lately, so much so that Monster Energy Cape Town decided to take a road trip to find out first hand what it’s like. After a long drive, we were finally greeted by a sign letting us know we were in the right place.

ccs-62657-0-19547300-1421925319.jpg

As you pull into the parking area, you can immediately see the level of effort that has been put into the trail park. At the entrance to the park you can find the Trail Café, where you can get light meals, snacks, cold beverages and coffee. There is also an array of bike equipment should you find yourself needing to do some minor emergency bike repairs, like replacing a tube, and don’t worry if you don’t have a bike you can rent one there too.

ccs-62657-0-23078900-1421925275.jpg

Just across from the Trail Café is where the magic starts as this is where you can find the pump track, a great flowing never-ending loop system that offers anyone at any skill level hours of fun and a surprisingly good workout.

ccs-62657-0-47871300-1421926763.jpg

After cruising around on the pump track for a while, Rob Dormehl the man to thank for this amazing place, came over and introduced himself to the Monster crew. What a legend, one of the friendliest and most down to earth characters you will come by. After chatting to him for a few minutes he offered to show us around and even drive in convoy with us to the top of the trails, to make sure we didn’t get lost.

ccs-62657-0-80861700-1421925303.jpg

The drive was great and allowed us to really see all that the park had to offer, although at times the dirt road did prove to be a bit of a handful to navigate and unfortunately one of the potholes claimed the radiator of our van (the same van that we had planned on using to shuttle ourselves whilst on the trip), leaving us “vanless” for the rest of the trip. Again just proving what kind of a guy Rob is, he immediately jumped under the van to take a look at the damage, even though coolant had leaked all over the ground.

ccs-62657-0-21078600-1421926759.jpg

After a few tears, we unloaded everything out of the van and into the Monster Energy truck, leaving only our bikes out so we could finally ride the trails. The trail that Rob had taken us to was named Jungle Fever which seemed appropriate given that a whole troop of baboons decided to take a break, from whatever it is baboons get up to, and chill on one of the long tabletops. Standing at the start of Jungle Fever was thrilling as the only thing we knew for certain about the track was that it would be a blast and had us frothing at the mouths.

ccs-62657-0-81533200-1421925269.jpg

Jungle Fever turned out to be everything we could have imagined, it’s the main jump line at the trail park, featuring a large double jump, several large tabletops, some short and tricky rollers and some great berms. It’s fast and flows well, allowing even experienced riders to push themselves and have some fun. One thing to take note of though, and I guess this really is the case with all good trails in South Africa, is that at times there are some steep climbs, nothing that’s going to make you feel as though you’re climbing half way up Everest, but just something to take note of, although it’s only fair that one earns all the smiles you’ll be enjoying while bombing down the trails.

ccs-62657-0-23741600-1421927203.jpg

Getting back to the Trail Café is great because, not only did you just have a fantastic ride, but you can finish it off with some cold drinks, or even a milkshake if you’re feeling a little wild. Needless to say we opted for the Trail Cafés fantastic tasting Nutella and peanut butter milkshake followed by a few more loops on the pump track.

ccs-62657-0-52978300-1421925256.jpg

Overall the Garden Route Trail Park is an amazing place, and one that any mountain biker has to go check out, even if only once. It offers more than 25km’s of clearly marked, well looked after single track that will remind you of why you fell in love with mountain biking. Thanks again for everything Rob, you really are a champion.

Do yourself a favour and plan a trip down there, you will not regret it, we promise!

ccs-62657-0-74613500-1421925290.jpg

ccs-62657-0-71477500-1421925261.jpg

ccs-62657-0-97155700-1421927197.jpg

Comments

NicoBoshoff

Jan 26, 2015, 5:22 AM

Is Jungle Fever the only trail there?

Nick

Jan 26, 2015, 5:29 AM

Is Jungle Fever the only trail there?

There's also Forest Frenzy and Crazy Creek.

But I was last there in September, so not sure what Rob has added since then. He's constantly working on it.

Lone_Ranger

Jan 26, 2015, 5:31 AM

Definitely one for the bucket list. Great photos btw. Really stunning!!!

Looks like you guys had a blast.

Brian Fantana

Jan 26, 2015, 6:04 AM

You must be a novice road tripper if you call the drive from Cape Town to Sedgefield a "long drive"

There is also a short section of trail called Mad Cows which is really nice. 

The best option is to go for a weekend. Get to know the place the Saturday (ride each trail twice), and find your flow on the pump track. Then on Sunday morning you can hit each trail at speed because you know the trails well by then.

bobbejaan

Jan 26, 2015, 7:08 AM

"The trail that Rob had taken us to was named Jungle Fever which seemed appropriate given that a whole troop of baboons decided to take a break, from whatever it is baboons get up to, and chill on one of the long tabletops"

Hah hah boons..

The big ones like to chill on the long treetops... some of the smaller ones even like to throw rocks on the trails... in protest at all the meld vragmotors and trekkers... 

i haven't been on the trailpark myself yet, just passed by it a few times... excellent location on the route of some of the most popular garden route marathon races... 

and if you're feeling adventurous, there are little trails all the way up/down the passes heading to george or rheenendaal, its a great place to train your climbing skills.

dankie, looks like you guys had a good time :)

Joe Massapuss

Jan 26, 2015, 7:57 AM

Haha "frothing at the mouths"....this is such a rad place, can't wait to get back there.

Shebeen

Jan 26, 2015, 8:33 AM

got a wedding down the road next month....guess who's taking the whole week off..........

Conna

Jan 26, 2015, 10:33 AM

You must be a novice road tripper if you call the drive from Cape Town to Sedgefield a "long drive"

Capetonians seldom venture further than Tokai... to them Jonkershoek is a roadtrip... :P

Francis1

Jan 26, 2015, 10:45 AM

Hi,

Did two 30 km races their over December and the trail is a dream. Lots of single track and great fun burn sections. On the last race the area had a lot of rain, and this created even more fun, with all the mud.

It is a must for all.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

dev null

Jan 26, 2015, 1:05 PM

Rode it 2wice last October.  Excellent singletrack, and well those big tabletops... Lost some skin there.  That white/yellow sand that they used on those tabletops are worse than 50 grit sandpaper.

If you stay around George/Knysna and have not done it yet then shame on you.

Sniffie

Jan 26, 2015, 2:55 PM

Rode it 2wice last October.  Excellent singletrack, and well those big tabletops... Lost some skin there.  That white/yellow sand that they used on those tabletops are worse than 50 grit sandpaper.

If you stay around George/Knysna and have not done it yet then shame on you.

Will someone like me who never learned to do big gap jumps and tabletops be able to enjoy Garden Route Trail Park? I don't mind rock gardens or smallish drop offs, but never learned to jump properly. What other trails in the Garden Route area is a must do? I will be holidaying in Plett for about 11 days in February. What are the trails like this time of year? Very muddy and wet?

Nick

Jan 26, 2015, 3:37 PM

Will someone like me who never learned to do big gap jumps and tabletops be able to enjoy Garden Route Trail Park? I don't mind rock gardens or smallish drop offs, but never learned to jump properly.

Yes, you'll enjoy it. The park is mostly flowy and smooth. The jumps and drops are all optional.

The Monster guys showed off the bigger features at the park, if you're interested I shot a few videos of some other sections of the trails in the Garmin Virb review we did here.

Brian Fantana

Jan 26, 2015, 4:37 PM

Will someone like me who never learned to do big gap jumps and tabletops be able to enjoy Garden Route Trail Park? I don't mind rock gardens or smallish drop offs, but never learned to jump properly. What other trails in the Garden Route area is a must do? I will be holidaying in Plett for about 11 days in February. What are the trails like this time of year? Very muddy and wet?

As nick said, the jumps are optional. My wife rode with me there last weekend and she had a blast and just want to go back. The trail café at GRTP is very nice and a good place to relax post ride.

Harkerville and Petrus se Brand are nice trail options close Plett as well.

Sniffie

Jan 26, 2015, 5:10 PM

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. Can't wait for my holiday to start and to escape the drought that has hit our part of the Freestate, even if it is only for a couple of weeks.

dev null

Jan 26, 2015, 8:47 PM

Ja.  If you in the area, plan on doing the Trail Park, Homtini, Harkerville and Petrus Se Brand.  I did 3 of those last October.

dev null

Jan 26, 2015, 8:52 PM

Ja, jumps are optional.  The berms are to die for. The singletrack is excellent, but you will get a good cardio workout.  Your technical skills will improve each passing minute.

Joe Massapuss

Jan 27, 2015, 6:29 PM

and 90% of the jumps are tabletops, so you can just cruise over them, or try jump as far as you can which is probably more fun. Either way you are going to be having a good time. Just make sure to pack some sun block because it does get hot and some areas have minimal shade.

Brawler

Mar 2, 2015, 7:55 AM

Quite a few international riders are down to shoot a new film and for the Night Harvest. GRTP is building a few MASSIVE jumps for them..

post-10402-0-28529100-1425282938_thumb.jpg

Brawler

Mar 2, 2015, 9:19 PM

finished product 

post-10402-0-52297100-1425331169_thumb.jpg

mazambaan

Mar 3, 2015, 4:58 AM

Just need some directions or GPS co ordinates to the start. Was in the area after Christmas to ride Harkerville and missed this.

NewKoos

Apr 10, 2015, 11:34 AM

Hi,

rode the Jungle fever trail there this past Monday and it was absolutely awesome!  If a little wet and muddy which added to the experience...   :thumbup:

Only complaint is that I got slightly lost after a split in the rode wasn't clearly marked and went the wrong way.  Also getting back to the start was a bit confusing when all the exit signs seem to take you to other trails.

But it could have just been the result of a lot over indulging on Easter weekend and the late afternoon start.

Also saw the beast on the picture above and all I can say is wow!  Even the roll in scared me!

cadenceblur

Jul 5, 2015, 3:43 PM

Down for the knysna races at the moment, looking at doing some trails. Heard about the trail Park and harkerville, what do you guys suggest? Not looking to any hectic climbing to be honest, just some fun on the singles etc.

Guest notmyname

Jul 5, 2015, 3:57 PM

Dude, you'll climb at both those venues. That said.... ride both. Each has its own allure.

cadenceblur

Jul 5, 2015, 4:08 PM

Won't have time to do both I'm afraid. Think I'll head out to the trail Park. Legs Just a bit tender from the weekend's races.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment