Adventure and Travel

Video: Renay’s Constantia Greenbelt Guide

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 23 comments

After years of restriction, the Pedal Power Association negotiated the opening of sections of the Constantia Greenbelts in Cape Town for cycling. Renay Groustra and Ray van Breda created this helpful video to celebrate the opening and to show everyone where they should be riding.

Comments

capediver

Feb 22, 2016, 9:48 AM

Great vid, well thought out, Renay! 

Capricorn

Feb 22, 2016, 10:52 AM

Looks like we have our own Spruit! :P

capediver

Feb 22, 2016, 11:19 AM

Great vid, well thought out, Renay! 

This might help as well...I virtually been there today!

http://gph.is/1Tv2GSl

giphy.gif

popcorn_skollie

Feb 22, 2016, 11:28 AM

Who ever said you need mountains to go mountain biking...

raptor-22

Feb 22, 2016, 11:57 AM

Loved his comments about the dog walkers. generally the dog walkers who complain are those whose dogs are off leash and  roaming about, and then the elderly. But lets face it, thats how they roll.

Generally if you slow down before passing people from behind,  and greet on your way past they return a friendly greeting.

I was stopped last Friday morning by an elderly lady who wanted to know why theres so many bicycles on her trail. I stopped and explained what had happened and all she retorted was " Oh....my my , I see. Can't trust these ****ing politicians can we?! Well run along then..!"

I just smiled and waved wishing a great day forward

Rushdee

Feb 22, 2016, 7:07 PM

Approached elderly couple, rang my bell, slowed down, waved, greeted. "Ah, a bell. Now there's a good idea" said the old man cheerfully. 

Micha-wp

Feb 23, 2016, 12:15 AM

Job well done PPA! 

Lets hope Cape Town's gang of rouge cyclists don't screw it up for us all?

I ride with a R80 bell from Sportsmans - saved my butt a few times, not only on the Green Belts, but in Stage races when I loose my partner and on the road to warn pedestrians and Taxis.

I suggest that besides proof of residence when applying for a Table Mountain activity card, Mountain bikers should be asked to show "proof of Bell".  Nothing wrong with a "ting-ting" when approaching someone from behind to alert them of you passing.

There are also a couple of blind corners on the Green Belts where a precautionary ring could also avoid a terrible head on collision with another MTB rider or walker.

Great work Renay and PPA.  Glad to see our PPA subs being put back into our community.

Power to the Bicycle Bell!

Guest notmyname

Feb 23, 2016, 3:47 AM

capediver

Feb 24, 2016, 7:14 AM

Whoever made this obviously didn't....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOlWPLgnXRk....

Meezo

Feb 24, 2016, 7:23 AM

shot renay vid helped this morning

intern

Feb 25, 2016, 4:30 AM

Bell is absolutely essential equipment if you are riding two-way/mixed use trails.

jaypaul

Feb 25, 2016, 8:16 AM

Is there any way we can get the GPX file for this route / from the video? I am so keen to ride, also because it's in our backyard. Who said we needed to drive to Stellenbosch every damn weekend to ride? Or if anyone else has a GPX file for it to share, it would be fantastic!

capediver

Feb 25, 2016, 8:24 AM

Is there any way we can get the GPX file for this route / from the video? I am so keen to ride, also because it's in our backyard. Who said we needed to drive to Stellenbosch every damn weekend to ride? Or if anyone else has a GPX file for it to share, it would be fantastic!

From my GE map above...may not be 100% ...

Edit: ooops seems the gpx file doesn't upload.....

jaypaul

Feb 25, 2016, 8:48 AM

Oh wait, actually, even a KML file from Google Earth would work as I can convert that to GPX quite easily. And most places don't allow a direct upload for a GPX file. You could put it on a public dropbox of sorts and link to it maybe.

Regards.

Matt

Feb 25, 2016, 8:51 AM

You should be able to upload a GPX now. 

Meezo

Feb 25, 2016, 9:10 AM

Here's my ride from yesterday... What a painful commute it was, but absolutely fun!

https://www.strava.com/activities/500952799

post-8906-1456391394,6133.jpgpost-8906-1456391402,8604.jpgpost-8906-1456391413,9357.jpg

capediver

Feb 25, 2016, 9:18 AM

You should be able to upload a GPX now. 

Txs...but KML refused and gpx loads but rounding rounding rounding and doesn't finalise...

r0adrunner

Jul 26, 2023, 3:17 PM

Any more routes opened since 2016? I moved to Wynberg recently and I'm looking for some off road trials, seeing as Alphen is off limits :(
Zebra

Jul 26, 2023, 5:48 PM

2 hours ago, r0adrunner said:

Any more routes opened since 2016? I moved to Wynberg recently and I'm looking for some off road trials, seeing as Alphen is off limits :(

Well, if you do drop into Hout Bay, a newish trail (2 years) starts FROM the C’Nek car park, halfway back,and makes it way to C’Nek Main Road, and NEARLY all the way down to Hout Bay traffic circle, on the RIGHT HAND SIDE of the road (direction HB), so, when linked with Upper Constantia trails, is fun riding off the road….

Cheers

Chris

r0adrunner

Jul 26, 2023, 5:58 PM

9 minutes ago, Zebra said:

Well, if you do drop into Hout Bay, a newish trail (2 years) starts FROM the C’Nek car park, halfway back,and makes it way to C’Nek Main Road, and NEARLY all the way down to Hout Bay traffic circle, on the RIGHT HAND SIDE of the road (direction HB), so, when linked with Upper Constantia trails, is fun riding off the road….

Cheers

Chris

Fantastic, that's awesome! 

Mind sharing the best route to there from "lower" Constantia? 

capediver

Jul 27, 2023, 1:26 AM

7 hours ago, r0adrunner said:

Fantastic, that's awesome! 

Mind sharing the best route to there from "lower" Constantia? 

You can get to the Nek round-about from lower Constantia by climbing Southern Cross Drive...Constantia Main Road up is just too busy....OR go UP the Greenbelt trail which pops out at the top of S Cross Drive..either way, when you get to the top of S Cross, you can either go directly over, go left and climb up the jeep track...15%...then left at the top and you come out at Constantia Nek where this video starts, or take a right onto Rhodes Drive and follow it to same spot..if you do, stick to the "footpath" on the left, off the road as it is tight and no real shoulder on the tar...

r0adrunner

Jul 27, 2023, 4:11 PM

Thank you!! 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment