The topics covered in Episode Three:
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of combining starvation with high-intensity interval training (HIIT)? (at 30 seconds)
- What's the best training advice someone has ever given you? (at 7 minutes 44 seconds)
- How should one consume energy drinks and gels in long events? (at 8 minutes 20 seconds)
- How important is the role of genetics in an athlete's VO2 max? (at 15 minutes 13 seconds)
- Beating the afternoon slump. Early morning training vs evening training? (at 28 minutes 48 seconds)
Previous podcast by the Science2Sport team for Bike Hub:
Episode 2: Listen here
- Is there a desired training stress score (TTS) that you should be looking for?
- With the correct pedals stroke, will there still be dead spots?
- How important is base training? Are there more efficient options?
- For someone with limited training time, is it more beneficial to focus on cycling for fitness or is cross-training worthwhile?
- I want to start training more seriously, should I buy a power meter for my average aluminium road bike or should I rather use the money towards a good carbon race bike?
- Demystifying a rumour that Steve Bowman wheelied from Hout Bay to Camps Bay
- At what intensity point does your body utilize fat to a greater extent than carbohydrates and protein?
- What causes cramps and what is the best way to prevent it or relieve it when it happens?
- I am moving from the half marathon distance to the full marathon distance next year. How should my training change for the increased distance?
- Is there a way to get better at riding in high temperatures?
- Would riding with a dropper seat post be beneficial within South African marathon races?
Submit your questions:
Here's your chance to ask any cycling training, racing or nutrition related questions you have. Please submit your questions via the form below or leave a comment.