Adventure and Travel

Contego Segment Hunter #1: Gert Heyns takes on Bloemslang

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 66 comments

We’re excited to launch the first episode of our online video series Contego Segment Hunter. The first segment in the series is Bloemslang – Just the Drop at Bloemendal Wine Estate. After consulting with the team and local riders, Gert Heyns was selected a worthy challenger to Louis Bresler-Knipe’s King of the Mountain. Watch the video below to see if Gert takes the KOM.

ccs-62657-0-73539900-1464592763.jpgGert looking cool before heading up the hill.

ccs-62657-0-31673600-1464592770.jpgThis is where it all starts. Dropping in under the Bloemslang board atop Bloemendal Wine Estate.

ccs-62657-0-43972200-1464592777.jpgStrava’s Live Segments announcing a new Bloemslang champ.

ccs-62657-0-80746300-1464594915.jpgGert never rests. Even while celebrating with a wheelie, he’s on the lookout for more KOMs to claim.
ccs-62657-0-89096100-1464592800.jpgOur victorious Contego Segment Hunter heroes ride off into the sunset.

The Bloemslang – Just the Drop leaderboard:

While Gert Heyns sits on the top spot, it is unlikely that previous KOM holder and local rider Louis Bresler-Knipe will allow it to stand without a fight.

https://www.strava.com/segments/10658168

Grand Prize: Contego Unit Trust worth R30,000

At the end of the series, Contego are giving away R30,000 worth of unit trusts. All you have to do is ride your bike!

How to enter:

1. Join the Contego Segment Hunter Strava club and record your segment rides on Strava.
  2. Get out and ride! After each segment is announced go and ride it. Please ride safely though, there is no prize for being the fastest.

For each Contego Segment Hunter segment you ride, you will be entered into the draw to win. So if you ride all six segments during the series, you will receive six entries.

How do I ride this segment?

Bloemslang – Just the Drop is on the Bloemendal trails which are part of the larger Tygerberg MTB Club trails. The Bloemslang trail is found on the upper section of the Bloemendal trails. Members of the public must purchase a day permit (or be Tygerberg MTB club members) to ride these trails. Permits can be bought at the restaurant and club house on Lower Bloemendal which is on the Tygervalley Road (M13). Permits allow access to Bloemendal, Nitida, Hillcrest and the Bloemendaaler (Upper Bloemendal). Permits cost R50 for adults and R30 for children aged 18 years and under. More information available on the Tygerberg MTB Club website here.

Nominate your favourite segment to feature in future episodes of Contego Segment Hunter:

We’re looking for you to nominate your favourite Strava segments to be featured in our Contego Segment Hunter video series. If your segment is chosen you could win a Cadence Nutrition hamper valued at R2,620.

You can nominate your segments here.

Comments

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

May 30, 2016, 8:11 AM

I have to say - that the fact that LBK does it with his seat up his ass makes his time all the more impressive... 

Well done Gert, though. We'll see what happens to the segment if LBK puts his seat down!

Meezo

May 30, 2016, 8:15 AM

pinner, #legend

Love it GUYS!!!

Matchstix

May 30, 2016, 8:25 AM

Well done to Gert!

MTBeer

May 30, 2016, 8:31 AM

great video. loved the aerial shots. Awesome trail which invites loads of speed but doesn't forgive mistakes.

brilliant riding!

Quagga

May 30, 2016, 8:37 AM

As much as I love this initiative I have to point out that the rules should be obeyed or it must be made clear that they had special permission to do things differently.

The club rules state that NO ONE is allowed to ride on the cement road.

Yet there is a clear shot of Gert riding down the cement road at 1:29.

This can be an indication to others that it is ok to do that, and it was stated to the membesr that if anyone uses that road access to the trail will be revoked.

You can see this segment on club site: 

You start of with a bit of flat and very tame single track till you hit an intersection which crosses the Telkom concrete access road. Please note this is a mandatory portage section as no riding is allowed on or over the concrete road at any time. walk across the road where you will see the start of the infamous Trail X aka Bloemendaaler aka Bloemslang. URL:www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/trails/bloemendal-trailpark.html

Edit:  Changed the bold sections to make it easier for the Hubbers to see what I wrote and what is on the club site.

Thermophage

May 30, 2016, 8:52 AM

As much as I love this initiative I have to point out that the rules should be obeyed or it must be made clear that they had special permission to do things differently.

This can be an indication to others that it is ok to do that, and it was stated to the membesr that if anyone uses that road access to the trail will be revoked.

You can see this segment on club site: You start of with a bit of flat and very tame single track till you hit an intersection which crosses the Telkom concrete access road. Please note this is a mandatory portage section as no riding is allowed on or over the concrete road at any time. walk across the road where you will see the start of the infamous Trail X aka Bloemendaaler aka Bloemslang. URL:www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/trails/bloemendal-trailpark.html

*Grabs popcorn*

Not everyone can be expected to read every bit of detail on the website and the trail marker does not say anything about portage...I know of nobody (except now you) who has ever walked across that road :P

Skubarra

May 30, 2016, 9:02 AM

Please note this is a mandatory portage section as no riding is allowed on or over the concrete road at any time. walk across the road 

I agree with the gist of the rest of your post - but seriously....

Walk across the road not ride? Are they worried the cyclists are going to damage the concrete road?

Matchstix

May 30, 2016, 9:05 AM

More like the cyclist getting hit by a vehicle coming up the road

Quagga

May 30, 2016, 9:07 AM

Skubarra please note that I did NOT write with the part about walking. I copied it from the club site. As it says in my post "you can see this on the club site"

Please read it properly before attacking my intent.

I am pointing out what the club rules are and where you can see the rule.

ThermoPhage: when the trail was released there was explicit mention of NOT riding on the road etc. Also on the Facebook page and in more than 2 newsletters. Please read my post properly/

Contego Segment Hunter

May 30, 2016, 9:12 AM

You can see this segment on club site: You start of with a bit of flat and very tame single track till you hit an intersection which crosses the Telkom concrete access road. Please note this is a mandatory portage section as no riding is allowed on or over the concrete road at any time. walk across the road where you will see the start of the infamous Trail X aka Bloemendaaler aka Bloemslang. URL:www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/trails/bloemendal-trailpark.html

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Coenie Thomas.

We did our utmost to comply with all trail rules and made every effort to promote trail advocacy in the video and article.

We were granted special privileges by the landowners and club to allow filming possible but the intention was to always keep the video true to the rules of the trail.

We acknowledge our oversight in terms of the rules regarding the road and will make even more effort to comply with all rules when filming for future episodes.

We are privileged to have access to some of the best trails on private land and would like to keep it that way.

Thermophage

May 30, 2016, 9:19 AM

Skubarra please note that I did NOT write with the part about walking. I copied it from the club site. As it says in my post "you can see this on the club site"

Please read it properly before attacking my intent.

I am pointing out what the club rules are and where you can see the rule.

ThermoPhage: when the trail was released there was explicit mention of NOT riding on the road etc. Also on the Facebook page and in more than 2 newsletters. Please read my post properly/

I did read your post properly thanks. How long ago was the trail opened, 2 year, more? So you expect people to go troll through that many facebook posts and old newsletter or visit every link on the club's website?

Put a small sign saying compulsory and people will comply otherwise most will not even know.

Quagga

May 30, 2016, 9:24 AM

There is a sign also as far as I can remember.

Why not be thankful that it was now made clear again what the rules are and that we run a slightly lesser chance of someone causing us to loose access to that trail.

Please direct your suggestions to the club.

Skubarra

May 30, 2016, 9:26 AM

Eish. I stand corrected. Did not know about that pedantric rule...

Ok I will walk across the road like a good boy...

Thermophage

May 30, 2016, 9:28 AM

Eish. I stand corrected. Did not know about that pedantric rule...

Ok I will walk across the road like a good boy...

I think pedantic is an understatement...

pe3nguin

May 30, 2016, 9:28 AM

We did our utmost to comply with all trail rules and made every effort to promote trail advocacy in the video and article.

We were granted special privileges by the landowners and club to allow filming possible but the intention was to always keep the video true to the rules of the trail.

We acknowledge our oversight in terms of the rules regarding the road and will make even more effort to comply with all rules when filming for future episodes.

We are privileged to have access to some of the best trails on private land and would like to keep it that way.

Fantastic response. A bit of humility on a Monday <3 Cool video to boot

Iwan Kemp

May 30, 2016, 9:29 AM

Nice one Gert. Since this was shot Louis managed to close the gap down (from 8 seconds on the day to 1 second as of this morning) so I'm sure he'll be out there giving it his all. 

Some really beautiful shots of a truly awesome trail. View is something else.

MTBeer

May 30, 2016, 9:56 AM

there used to be a sign. don't think it's there anymore.

At that point on the trail I'm already in full STRAVASSHOLE mode and don't take note of any signs :ph34r:

Rapunzel

May 30, 2016, 10:03 AM

Thanks so much Segment Hunter. The road is used by Telkom techies and a few others who drive like they're trying to beat their own strava KOM's.

Good luck to all riding the segment - have fun and be safe!

Headshot

May 30, 2016, 10:25 AM

I nominated the Hoogies Cobra as a segment - come on do it next! It has real rocks in it!

Rock Guy

May 30, 2016, 11:46 AM

You can see this segment on club site: 

You start of with a bit of flat and very tame single track till you hit an intersection which crosses the Telkom concrete access road. Please note this is a mandatory portage section as no riding is allowed on or over the concrete road at any time. walk across the road where you will see the start of the infamous Trail X aka Bloemendaaler aka Bloemslang. URL:www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/trails/bloemendal-trailpark.html

Edit:  Changed the bold sections to make it easier for the Hubbers to see what I wrote and what is on the club site.

Geez, boyscout alert. Relax dude. It's bad enough the way everyone already gets treated in the guilty-until-proven-innocent manner at Tygerberg MTB. No need to get all up in their face about it. 

Very cool video, thanks for the effort guys! And well done to Gert. I'll never be able to get close to that time down there, it's just too much fun fooling around on all the jumps.

VicanZA

May 30, 2016, 12:49 PM

must be a *** ride some real uptight members....keep it.

PhilipV

May 30, 2016, 12:55 PM

Wow, I was contemplating riding Bloemendal or Conters this weekend, but now suddenly I feel like riding jonkers instead. There we don't have to worry about Telkom roads.

Wannabe

May 30, 2016, 12:59 PM

must be a *** ride some real uptight members....keep it.

Good, less congestion on the trail for us that loves to ride it.

BTW, I always walk over the concrete road, not because I'm obeying the "no riding rule" but because I have yet to get the courage together to ride that steep drop off and try and clear that concrete ditch next to the road.  :blush:  :whistling:

NelAndre

May 30, 2016, 1:03 PM

Great video and awesome initiative. Well done the Contego team and for promoting the privileges and responsibilities applicable to us the trail users.

Have not ridden any Western Cape trails yet but will do so one day.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment