Adventure and Travel

Contego Segment Hunter Episode 1 Preview: Bloemslang – Just the Drop

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 40 comments

We’re excited to reveal the first segment in our new online video series titled ‘Contego Segment Hunter’. As the name suggests the series is all about Strava Segments. We’ll be looking for the gnarliest, toughest or just plain coolest sections of road, dirt or trail to unleash our chosen challenger on.

For the first challenge we’ve selected Bloemslang – Just the Drop on the Bloemendal Wines trails. Our host, Ollie Munnik (aka. Pinner), met up with the current KOM holder, Louis-Bresler Knipe, to show what lies ahead for our first Contego Segment Hunter challenger.

Watch Ollie Munnik and Louis-Bresler Knipe take on Bloemslang – Just the Drop here:

What next?

We’ve found a challenger brave enough to take on Louis-Bresler Knipe’s KOM in our first Contego Segment Hunter episode which will be aired on 23 May 2016. In the meantime, get out there and ride Bloemslang – Just the Drop. Take on the challenge yourself.

How do I ride this segment?

Bloemslang – Just the Drop is on the Bloemendal trails which are part of the larger Tygerberg MTB Club trails. The Bloemslang trail is found on the upper section of Bloemendal trails. Members of the public must purchase a day permit (or be Tygerberg MTB club members) to ride these trails. Permits can be bought at the restaurant and club house on Lower Bloemendal which is on the Tygervalley Road (M13). Permits allow access to Bloemendal, Nitida, Hillcrest and the Bloemendaaler (Upper Bloemendal). Permits cost R50 for adults and R30 for children 18 years and under.

https://www.strava.com/segments/10658168

Hear from Louis-Bresler Knipe

Louis-Bresler Knipe talks about the segment, his bike setup and requests to do KOMs on other people’s devices:

How does it all work?

In case you missed our introductory video in April you take take a look here.

Here is a run down of the process for each episode:

1. The Segment: A suitable segment will be chosen for each episode based on your nominations.
  2. The Challenger: We’ll choose a suitable challenger for the segment: A pro, an amateur or person of interest.
  3. The Preview: Once we have #1 and #2 sorted the “Pinner” will take us through the segment in some detail to help you set some PBs and give a us preview of what’s to come.
  4. The Episode: The final showdown. Our challenger lays it all on the line to take on the segment and bask in the glory of virtual winnings.

Prizes and Segment Nominations

You, the viewers, are a vital part of Contego Segment Hunter series and we encourage all of you to get you all involved. From entering for prizes to selecting the segments our Challengers will face.

ccs-2-0-01610500-1462779503.jpg

Grand Prize: Contego Unit Trust

At the end of the series, Contego are giving away R30,000 worth of unit trusts. All you have to do is ride your bike!

How to enter:

1. For a each episode a new segment is announced. Ollie Munnik will take you through each segment in his preview videos.
  2. We then invite you to ride that segment and see how well you do. Maybe even offer our Challenger some advice and perhaps take the KOM or QOM yourself. Please ride safely, there is no prize for being the fastest.
  3. For each Contego Segment Hunter segment you ride, you will be entered into the draw to win. So if you ride all six segments during the series, you will receive six entries. If you only have time to ride just one segment, you will receive one entry for the grand prize.
  4. IMPORTANT: You must record your rides on Strava and join the Contego Segment Hunter Strava club to be considered for the Grand Prize.

Nominate your segments and win with Cadence Nutrition

ccs-2-0-17742000-1462780708.jpg

Later this week we will be making a call for you to nominate segments for the first season of Contego Segment Hunter. We’re looking for a wide range of segments, including climbs, descents, or combinations of both be it on or off the road.

Each nomination that is selected to feature in an episode of Contego Segment Hunter will win a Cadence Nutrition hamper valued at R2,600.

A big thanks goes to Zeekus who nominated Bloemslang – Just the Drop and walks away with the first Cadence Nutrition hamper.

Comments

Meezo

May 9, 2016, 8:07 AM

love it, PINNER !! bwahahahaha

Rapunzel

May 9, 2016, 12:05 PM

oh my - what a laugh. Great to see people have such fun on their bikes!

Matchstix

May 9, 2016, 12:44 PM

Lekker!

Skubarra

May 9, 2016, 1:30 PM

I am already just outside the top 1000 for this segment, with a little bit of practice that KOM will be mine!!  :devil:

Hairy

May 10, 2016, 6:01 AM

Nice production, looking forward to the series!

Nick

May 10, 2016, 7:47 AM

Here are some more details from Louis-Bresler Knipe about the segment, his bike setup and requests to do KOMs on other people's devices:

Skubarra

May 10, 2016, 7:49 AM

Good work Bikehub & Contego Segment Hunter - looking forward to the rest of the series!

Headshot

May 10, 2016, 10:49 AM

Ha ha, this looks like a bit of fun. 

Bloukrans

May 10, 2016, 10:57 AM

This is fun!

Cant wait for the next one

Hairy

May 10, 2016, 11:57 AM

I like the fact the BIKEHUB is doing more multimedia articles .... very lekker

MTBeer

May 10, 2016, 12:12 PM

that trail is riding beautifully since the refurb. Hoping to improve my position just outside the top 50 (yes I'm showing off)

Rapunzel

May 10, 2016, 5:38 PM

that trail is riding beautifully since the refurb. Hoping to improve my position just outside the top 50 (yes I'm showing off)

I fear it is a bit slower after the refurb - those little kickers really give you a skop when you're doing over 30km/h

Matchstix

May 10, 2016, 6:13 PM

I have to agree the first line is a bit dodgier, couple of low hanging branches as well. Took my pump out of my camelback the other day.

MTBeer

May 10, 2016, 6:16 PM

Swings and roundabouts. The sharp kickers do slow you down but the rest of the trail can be balls to the wall.

Or whatever the female version of that is.

Skubarra

May 10, 2016, 6:33 PM

Swings and roundabouts. The sharp kickers do slow you down but the rest of the trail can be balls to the wall.

Balls to the Wall

Term used by pilots. when accelerating quickly, the throttle is pushed all the way to the panel and the throttle lever (ball) actually touches the panel (wall). Hence, balls to the wall.

What were you referring to MTBeer?  ^_^ 

BenReaper

May 10, 2016, 6:41 PM

Balls to the Wall

Term used by pilots. when accelerating quickly, the throttle is pushed all the way to the panel and the throttle lever (ball) actually touches the panel (wall). Hence, balls to the wall.

What were you referring to MTBeer? ^_^

How long have you been waiting to apply that little bit of trivia? [emoji6]

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

Skubarra

May 10, 2016, 6:45 PM

How long have you been waiting to apply that little bit of trivia? [emoji6]

Have you never been curious how something like that is supposed to make you faster?....

BenReaper

May 10, 2016, 7:00 PM

Have you never been curious how something like that is supposed to make you faster?....

I always though it meant something along the lines of disregarding youre own well being by pushing beyond youre personal limit or comfort zone and putting yourself in a 'win it or bin it' situation.

But yours sounds more legit though. [emoji106]

Shebeen

May 10, 2016, 8:48 PM

I see Die Muishond is there on the top 10

Thor Buttox

May 11, 2016, 5:00 AM

Many of those who put petal to the metal would wrecking ball that wall! Or at least I think that whenever I put my foot down on a particular slippery righthand switchback! :(
Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

May 11, 2016, 5:01 AM

I always though it meant something along the lines of disregarding youre own well being by pushing beyond youre personal limit or comfort zone and putting yourself in a 'win it or bin it' situation.

But yours sounds more legit though. [emoji106]

It's 100% legit...

V18

May 11, 2016, 5:16 AM

Die Muishond again #2 so far this year on the new track

MTBeer

May 11, 2016, 5:34 AM

Balls to the Wall

What were you referring to MTBeer?  ^_^ 

sounds about right...

Rapunzel

May 11, 2016, 8:17 AM

I spose some of us gals have figurative balls (at least those are a bit more robust than the real things lol!)

Add a comment

You must log in to comment