Events

Course Preview: SA MTB Champs Downhill

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 20 comments

A brand new downhill track has been built at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg for the 2016 South African National Mountain Bike Championships this weekend. Watch local downhill shredders Jonathan and Christopher Philogene from the 2Bro’s Downhill Racing Team show us down the track.

The downhill race takes place on Sunday 17 July at Cascades MTB Park. You can also watch practice on Saturday 16 July.

Related posts

Comments

Grebel

Jul 15, 2016, 5:53 AM

Looking good Bros! Nothing like a nice new track to test the riders. Really looking forward to Sunday. Going to be a good days racing.

VicanZA

Jul 15, 2016, 6:45 AM

i too old for this.... got scared just watching the run.

mon-goose

Jul 15, 2016, 7:23 AM

looks super dry and dusty

Spoke101

Jul 15, 2016, 7:59 AM

looks super dry and dusty

It is. We haven't had any rain >10ml since 17th March.

Thermophage

Jul 15, 2016, 8:44 AM

looks sweet :)

Headshot

Jul 15, 2016, 9:40 AM

That's gnarlier than the old WC track!

nigelhicks

Jul 15, 2016, 11:09 AM

Old World Cup track is now an "enduro" track .... or regional DH track.

This is the next level .... its amazing

Odinson

Jul 15, 2016, 11:40 AM

Jeepers. Bone dry track!

Doesn't seem like a track that would suit riders who aren't too fond of pedalling.

Super_mil

Jul 15, 2016, 11:49 AM

Gutted to be missing this one.

Track looks rad!  :thumbup:

Thanks to all who lifted a spade and created this beast  :devil:

Grebel

Jul 15, 2016, 11:59 AM

Jeepers. Bone dry track!

Doesn't seem like a track that would suit riders who aren't too fond of pedalling.

I'm pretty sure the camera flattens it out a lot as well

nigelhicks

Jul 15, 2016, 12:02 PM

you literally put in 2 pedal strokes on the whole track

ggza

Jul 15, 2016, 12:57 PM

Cant wait to watch on Sunday. Going to be rad!

NicoBoshoff

Jul 15, 2016, 1:11 PM

Is there much in the form of line choice sections or is it all single track down?

nigelhicks

Jul 15, 2016, 1:23 PM

Is there much in the form of line choice sections or is it all single track down?

There are a good few lines at the top in the first rocks - then its a bit one-lined to the first steep section. Thats pretty tight next to a cliff face so again onelined until you turn onto Timmys section. From there through the cambers there is a lot of line choice over a 3m wide section of cleared track. Then that next rock section has a few lines - then the main cambers are sort of onelined, then the bottom has some different line options.

So a bit of both - but it is quite narrow - so you need to be creative to get off the sheep line

Skott5

Jul 15, 2016, 1:26 PM

you literally put in 2 pedal strokes on the whole track

Maybe we can get a world cup event again with this track .. 

nigelhicks

Jul 15, 2016, 1:31 PM

I highly doubt it

The track - although at the correct level - ends in the middle of nowhere. There are no facilities there and no-where for there to be a large pit area needed for a world cup. Also Shuttles from there are a bit of a mission for a large event like a world cup as the shuttles need to use Rut Hill and it wouldnt handle the volume of vehicles needed.

Great to have a proper steep track though

Stretch

Jul 15, 2016, 1:45 PM

piece of pis...can i bring my road bike?

Headshot

Jul 15, 2016, 2:18 PM

I highly doubt it

The track - although at the correct level - ends in the middle of nowhere. There are no facilities there and no-where for there to be a large pit area needed for a world cup. Also Shuttles from there are a bit of a mission for a large event like a world cup as the shuttles need to use Rut Hill and it wouldnt handle the volume of vehicles needed.

Great to have a proper steep track though

Maybe some additional infrastructure will eventually make its way there? This is probably also the problem with EWS venues in SA. Great tracks abound but the facilities are lacking...

NGUTF

Jul 15, 2016, 4:21 PM

Will this be on the Internet to watch live??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Jul 15, 2016, 4:30 PM

Will this be on the Internet to watch live??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, over here: http://www.streamit360.tv/#666

Add a comment

You must log in to comment