Pottie's How To: Rolling Steep Obstacles

South African downhill champion Johann Potgieter explains how to handle steep sections on the trail, also known as roll offs.

12 Comments

stefmeister, Jul 26 2017 10:14

Will try that last one tonight after work. 

NicoBoshoff, Jul 26 2017 10:21

Uhm, ja. That video doesn't do that last drop justice.  It's big, and there's a badass rock sticking out halfway just hoping to hang your rear wheel up on.  It's called Backside of the Moon or something if I'm not mistaken.  Pottie makes it look like rolling out of my driveway.

stefmeister, Jul 26 2017 10:50

Uhm, ja. That video doesn't do that last drop justice.  It's big, and there's a badass rock sticking out halfway just hoping to hang your rear wheel up on.  It's called Backside of the Moon or something if I'm not mistaken.  Pottie makes it look like rolling out of my driveway.

Ja. it's huge.

But now that I've seen someone doing it, I can get my head around it at least. 

I'd like to see him do a 'how to' on that drop off just from the right at the start of old dh sections bottom half. 

NicoBoshoff, Jul 26 2017 11:51

Ja. it's huge.

But now that I've seen someone doing it, I can get my head around it at least. 

I'd like to see him do a 'how to' on that drop off just from the right at the start of old dh sections bottom half. 

You mean the double rock drop that lands in the rock garden leading to the road gap/step down (which reminds me I need to go and chuck more soil on that gap's lip.  the rain has started to eat at the last 10cm of lip)? If so, ja that last rock has a drop option and a tight handlebar grabbing gully option.  I just go to the rock garden for the road gap. 

stefmeister, Jul 26 2017 12:39

You mean the double rock drop that lands in the rock garden leading to the road gap/step down (which reminds me I need to go and chuck more soil on that gap's lip.  the rain has started to eat at the last 10cm of lip)? If so, ja that last rock has a drop option and a tight handlebar grabbing gully option.  I just go to the rock garden for the road gap. 

No, not sure tbh. If you head up Gabbema, where you have the first parking area on your left, opposite the Jan Phil Dr turn-off, there's a drop off in the far right corner of that parking area. It's about 1m straight down, but then slopes down.

I'll take a photo.

NicoBoshoff, Jul 26 2017 01:23

No, not sure tbh. If you head up Gabbema, where you have the first parking area on your left, opposite the Jan Phil Dr turn-off, there's a drop off in the far right corner of that parking area. It's about 1m straight down, but then slopes down.

I'll take a photo.

Oh that one. I reckon that's much easier. You can roll the whole thing or plop onto the slope.  In the middle of that parking there's a MASSIVE drop of about 5m that someone built and then left without hitting it.  Proper big and dodge.

dirkieuys, Jul 26 2017 02:49

That is a man sized drop for me. Will try it next time. Pottie makes it look so easy.

Mongooser, Jul 26 2017 04:19

That is a man sized drop for me. Will try it next time. Pottie makes it look so easy.

its actually not that bad,i did it by accident and survived somehow 

just go very slow...

TDFN, Jul 27 2017 07:47

Was gonna comment...... but never mind it the flats.

stefmeister, Jul 27 2017 08:07

Nee ***, got vertigo when I was just standing up there. Need some more cement.

bologniusmaximus, Jul 27 2017 09:51

Giba Gorge has a couple of nice drops like that. I would like to learn how to keep my feet on my pedals when I catch air on ramps though, don't want to use clips yet.

NicoBoshoff, Jul 27 2017 11:19

Nee ***, got vertigo when I was just standing up there. Need some more cement.

Haha, ja dude.  That thing was traditionally the "initiation" that the laaities used to get in to the hardcore group of local riders.  I personally saw some collarbones go bye-bye there at school.

There are some other lines at Playgrounds with steep roll in options that are pretty nice to get your technique sorted with minimal risk.  Unfortunately nothing can help with the cement.  Trust me, I peer over that edge every time at PG and then just nope it.