Events

Video: Fat bike Friday – fad or future favourite?

· By Nick · 32 comments

Fat biking is a hot topic in cycling at the moment with manufacturers scrambling to get their own big tyre beast to market. As with many new trends in cycling, there is still much debate over the long-term usefulness and sustainability of fat bikes. We asked some local industry experts their thoughts on the future of fat biking.

Comments

Ryanpmb

Nov 21, 2014, 6:21 AM

Interesting that the majority of these 'forward thinking experts' cannot see beyond sand and snow when it comes to these bikes. My guess is Mannie, Victor and Grant are the only ones who've actually ridden them. They're not limited to sand and snow and are a huge amount of fun on 'typical' SA trails too.

Grant and Pat summed it up well for me. Fun bikes. Everything's a fad until it's not.

Nov 21, 2014, 8:51 AM

It adds to the creativity & fun that cycling affords us all opening new terrain.

Bicycles are a wonderful thing and reminds us all how to have the joy of a kid again.

Ed-Zulu

Nov 21, 2014, 10:14 AM

Although I don't have one, they look like a barrel of fun to me...

gazza10

Nov 21, 2014, 10:21 AM

Ive got an entry level fat cat. Only used it in the cradle so far on the tar and singletrack. Good workout (more beer after) and fun listening to the coments. Taking it to the bush in the holidays.

NukeproofPeanut

Nov 21, 2014, 10:23 AM

I'd love to take one for a spin that has a low seat. Want to hit a few jumps and some nice flowy sections!

Bomberman

Nov 21, 2014, 10:46 AM

Ive got an entry level fat cat. Only used it in the cradle so far on the tar and singletrack. Good workout (more beer after) and fun listening to the coments. Taking it to the bush in the holidays.

Beer you say.... like this.

Ryanpmb

Nov 21, 2014, 10:52 AM

They're super fun. My OnOne gets regular workouts on the Karkloof and Howick trails...

Flippa

Nov 21, 2014, 11:16 AM

Can echo the sentiments, they are a whole lot of fun. I've taken my Krampus on Thaba's blue routes and my face aches from all the grinning.

Bomberman

Nov 21, 2014, 11:20 AM

I would love to have one, just cruising or a fun group ride with the guys. I think it would be fun if you could rent them at places and go for a ride.

Oh and the sand and snow thing don't  thinks so.

megdobson

Nov 21, 2014, 12:01 PM

I took my new Specialized Fatboy on a spin this morning.  Had a total blast on the single track.

lesego.2

Nov 21, 2014, 2:45 PM

A must have!

J∆kk∆ls

Nov 21, 2014, 2:54 PM

Want to ride one so badly. Not sure if I want to own one.

Would be cool if fat bike rental became available. 

arendoog

Nov 22, 2014, 12:31 PM

It is like having a SS .It should not be your only bike ,but they ride well and more fun than a regular bike

the nerd

Nov 22, 2014, 1:05 PM

It is like having a SS .It should not be your only bike ,but they ride well and more fun than a regular bike

Blasphemy. It should BE your only bike.

*more than one SS is perfectly acceptable.

arendoog

Nov 22, 2014, 1:12 PM

Blasphemy. It should BE your only bike.

*more than one SS is perfectly acceptable.

Some days I just want to sits and rides ! with plenty gears

Red Zone

Nov 24, 2014, 7:46 AM

I don't know if its a fad, but it is certainly a very small niche that I don't see making a very big imprint. 

Red_Zebra

Nov 24, 2014, 8:21 AM

Just spent a week riding dunes and beaches in Mozambique on my Fattie...  One of Mannie Heymans 9Zero7's...

Whilst I still ride it on the Spruit for fun, the beach riding was completely different...

Will see if I have a photo...

Red_Zebra

Nov 24, 2014, 8:44 AM

A few off my phone... others on the waterproof happy snapper at home.

Best thing about fat tyres? Can make the bike stand by itself for photos!!

Frohan

Nov 24, 2014, 9:20 AM

A few off my phone... others on the waterproof happy snapper at home.

Best thing about fat tyres? Can make the bike stand by itself for photos!!

Very nice!!!

Hopefully my Silverback Double Scoop are coming before December, then I will do the same at Struisbaai, planning to ride along the beach from Struisbaai to Arniston, its 27km of unspoilt beach!!

Ryanpmb

Nov 24, 2014, 11:31 AM

I don't know if its a fad, but it is certainly a very small niche that I don't see making a very big imprint. 

Many might say if cycling isn't niche to you then you're doing it wrong...

XC

Enduro

Trail

Singlespeed

Marathon

etc etc

I definately think fat bikes are a niche that will fit into a sport full of niches.

Odinson

Nov 24, 2014, 11:38 AM

Many might say if cycling isn't niche to you then you're doing it wrong...

XC

Enduro

Trail

Singlespeed

Marathon

etc etc

I think definately think fat bikes are a niche that will fit into a sport full of niches.

True, but what I think makes fatbikes so contentious, is the fact that it is a very purpose-oriented bike, that is mostly being used for purposes other than those it was intended for. 

So, you have guys riding fatbikes on normal trails, where a regular hardtail will be a much more efficient choice. 

But, you also have to consider the fun factor. If I had a fatbike and wanted to ride it on normal trails (because it's fun) why not? 

Red_Zebra

Nov 24, 2014, 11:39 AM

Very nice!!!

Hopefully my Silverback Double Scoop are coming before December, then I will do the same at Struisbaai, planning to ride along the beach from Struisbaai to Arniston, its 27km of unspoilt beach!!

Lekker - Enjoy

DEFINITELY do a tubeless conversion. Took me forever, lots of sealant, some insulation foam plus a few trips to SupaQuick's compressor - def worth it. And get the widest tyres you can. I was on 4.9's and they floated up and over almost everything.

Ryanpmb

Nov 24, 2014, 11:40 AM

True, but what I think makes fatbikes so contentious, is the fact that it is a very purpose-oriented bike, that is mostly being used for purposes other than those it was intended for. 

So, you have guys riding fatbikes on normal trails, where a regular hardtail will be a much more efficient choice. 

But, you also have to consider the fun factor. If I had a fatbike and wanted to ride it on normal trails (because it's fun) why not? 

Pretty much what I do with mine  :thumbup:

feetup

Nov 24, 2014, 7:04 PM

I will have one soon!

When I getz the moneezzzz

Add a comment

You must log in to comment