Promotions

Best Bike in Africa 2015: #4 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 6Fattie

· By Press Office · 8 comments

The Best Bike in Africa will be held at the 2015 Standard Bank Africa Cycle Fair on 23 – 25 October at St Stithians College, Johannesburg. The competition invites fair visitors to vote for their favourite bike at the Best Bike in Africa stand. All the entrants that vote for the bike that wins the Best Bike in Africa will go into a draw to win the bike. Leading up to the fair, we’ll be be revealing the bikes entered in the Best Bike in Africa. Next up, Specialized’s Stumpjumper FSR Comp 6Fattie.

Complete Cyclist are bring the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 6Fattie to the party in the Best Bike in Africa competition.

Specialized’s plus-sized trail trooper features 3 inch Purgatory and Ground Control tyres, which is said to add huge levels of grip to create a really fun ride. Despite the increase in tyre size, the rear travel remains the same as the skinnier Stumpjumper models at 135mm. The FSR Comp is equip with a Fox 34 150mm fork, a SRAM GX 1×11 drivetrain, Shimano’s capable Deore brakes and a command dropper post. To accommodate the enlarged tyres, Specialized have adopted Boost axle spacing front and back.

ccs-62657-0-93472200-1444807121.jpeg

• FRAME:M5 alloy, Trail 6Fattie Geometry, internal cable routing, 148mm dropouts, sealed cartridge bearing pivots, replaceable derailleur hanger, 135mm travel
  • STYLE:Plus mountain bike
  • FORK:FOX 34 Plus Performance, 150mm travel, 3-position compression adjust, tapered steerer, 51mm offset, 15mm thru-axle
  • REAR SHOCK:FOX FLOAT Performance DPS, AUTOSAG, Rx Trail Tune, 197×47.6mm
  • HEADSET:Hella Flush, 1-1/8″ and 1-1/2″ threadless, Campy style upper w/ 1-1/2″ lower, cartridge bearings
  • STEM: Specialized XC, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise
  • HANDLEBARS:Specialized, butted 6000 alloy, 8-degree backsweep, 6-degree upsweep, 10mm rise, 750mm, 31.8mm
  • GRIPS:Specialized Sip Grip, light lock-on, half-waffle, S/M: regular thickness, L/XL: XL thickness
  • FRONT BRAKE:Shimano Deore, hydraulic disc, Ice-Tech resin pads w/ fins
  • REAR BRAKE:Shimano Deore, hydraulic disc, Ice-Tech resin pads w/ fins
  • BRAKE LEVERS:Shimano Deore BL-M615, I-spec compatible
  • REAR DERAILLEUR:SRAM GX X Horizon, 11-speed, alloy cage
  • SHIFT LEVERS:SRAM GX, 11-speed, trigger
  • CASSETTE:SRAM XG-1150, 11-speed, 10-42t
  • CHAIN:KMC X11L, 11-speed, w/ reusable MissingLink
  • CRANKSET:Custom SRAM GX-1000, PF30 spindle, 28T, direct mount
  • BOTTOM BRACKET:SRAM, PF30, OS press-in bearings, sealed cartridge
  • PEDALS:Nylon, CEN std., w/ toe clips
  • RIMS:Roval Traverse 650b, alloy, disc, 29mm wide, 24/28h
  • FRONT HUB:Specialized, Hi Lo disc, sealed cartridge bearings, 15x110mm thru-axle, 24h
  • REAR HUB:Specialized, Hi Lo disc, 4x sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h
  • SPOKES:DT Swiss Industry, stainless
  • FRONT TIRE:Specialized 6Fattie Purgatory Control, 60TPI, 2Bliss Ready, folding bead, 650bx3.0″
  • REAR TIRE:Specialized 6Fattie Ground Control, 60TPI, 2Bliss Ready, folding bead, 650bx3.0″
  • INNER TUBES:Standard, Presta valve
  • SADDLE:Body Geometry Henge Comp, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm
  • SEATPOST:Command Post IRcc, cruiser control technology, micro-adjust height adjustable, alien head design, bottom mount cable routing, remote adjust SRL lever, 30.9mm, S: 100mm travel, M/L/XL: 125mm
  • POST BINDER:Specialized, 7050 alloy, single bolt, 34.9mm
  • RETAIL PRICE:R47,999.00

For more information on the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 6Fattie, visit the Specialized Bicycles website here.

If you like this bike and would like the chance to own one, vote for it in the Best Bike in Africa at the Standard Bank Africa Cycle Fair on 23 – 25 October at St Stithians College.

ccs-62657-0-57170200-1444827188.jpg

Related posts

Comments

nonky

Oct 14, 2015, 1:13 PM

I've ridden one of these at a test day - what a BLAST.

really, this thing is a load of fun.

it holds a line in a corner like nothing I've ridden.  even my ham-fisted attempts to get it to skid or slide resulted in no movement from the line at all.

Everyone should give this "plus" wheel formula a go before buying their next bike. 

PS: Scott has also launched a bunch of models like this.

NicoBoshoff

Oct 14, 2015, 1:25 PM

Really not trolling here, but does the controlled nature of this beast not spoil all the fun?  I know suspension made riding a bike easier and faster, so my argument fails at the gate, but still.  Does it not dumb down riding a bit, and even then, is that a bad thing given that it opens doors to newbies to ride proper trails quicker?

Discuss.

Johny Bravo

Oct 14, 2015, 1:37 PM

Really not trolling here, but does the controlled nature of this beast not spoil all the fun?  I know suspension made riding a bike easier and faster, so my argument fails at the gate, but still.  Does it not dumb down riding a bit, and even then, is that a bad thing given that it opens doors to newbies to ride proper trails quicker?

Discuss.

For me, quicker is more fun. That said, I still prefer the 29er stumpy.

feetup

Oct 14, 2015, 4:54 PM

You want fast?Epic all the way-hell you gotta break on the climbs :)

Johny Bravo

Oct 14, 2015, 6:00 PM

You want fast?Epic all the way-hell you gotta break on the climbs :)

dude, cmon. Dont let our secret out. Let the majority ride their Trances and Cambers etc. Only chance I have of actually beating them in a race is by using my Epic.

NicoBoshoff

Oct 15, 2015, 5:31 AM

Is there a particular reason these write ups exclude the forks from the spec sheets?  Same with the Reign. 

Nick

Oct 15, 2015, 6:07 AM

Is there a particular reason these write ups exclude the forks from the spec sheets?  Same with the Reign. 

Other than neglecting to put them into our spec table generator, nope. No reason.

Update: Now included. Found a bug in the spec table. Thanks for pointing that out.

Borriz

Oct 15, 2015, 9:24 AM

Rode this beast on Monday down the Drakensberg. If you are after extreme all mountain riding then this machine is for you. For anything else with the word "race" in it, then go with skinnier tires and look at Camber or Epic. This 6fatty setup is purely for fun and extreme stuff. It literally soak up everything possible you can throw at it. It even climbs steps with a doddle because of the extra grip.

This bike isn't for "one bike for everything". But the fatty tires do make steering a bit more cumbersome. It seems the verdict is still out there if 3" isn't too much. Partick Moorewood suggested that 2,8" might actually be sweet spot.

My vote will go for this, with the hope to win one. Otherwise Pyga 140!!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment