Promotions

Best Bike in Africa 2015: #5 SwiftCarbon Evil Twin

· By Press Office · 12 comments

The Best Bike in Africa will be held at the 2015 Standard Bank Africa Cycle Fair on 23 – 25 October at St Stithians College, Johannesburg. The competition invites fair visitors to vote for their favourite bike at the Best Bike in Africa stand. All the entrants that vote for the bike that wins the Best Bike in Africa will go into a draw to win the bike. Leading up to the fair, we’ll be be revealing the bikes entered in the Best Bike in Africa. Today we reveal the SwiftCarbon Evil Twin as the next candidate.

Built with pro racers in mind and inspired by the Cape Epic, there’s no one bike to do it all nonsense to see here. The Evil Twin is an unapologetic hardcore endurance racer. As you would expect, the Evil Twin is built to maximise every ounce of efficiency from it’s 90mm RockShox Monarch shock which has been tucked away to allow for two water bottles inside the front triangle. The rest of the Best Bike in Africa build features a RockShox RS1 fork, Shimano’s XT groupset, American Classic wheels and Thomson components in the cockpit.

ccs-62657-0-95322800-1444830907.jpg

Specifications:

• FRAME: Evil Twin carbon fibre
  • STYLE: 29er
  • FORK: RockShox RS1
  • REAR SHOCK: RockShox Monarch
  • HEADSET: FSA
  • BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano XT PF30
  • CRANKSET: Shimano XT
  • CASSETTE:Shimano XT
  • REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano XT
  • SHIFTERS: Shimano XT
  • BRAKES: Shimano XT
  • STEM: Thomson
  • SEATPOST: Thomson
  • HANDLEBAR: Thomson
  • SADDLE: Fizik
  • WHEELSET: American Classic
  • TIRES: Schwalbe Racing Ralph

Check out the SwiftCarbon website for more on the Evil Twin and their other bikes here.

If you like this bike and would like the chance to own one, vote for it in the Best Bike in Africa at the Standard Bank Africa Cycle Fair on 23 – 25 October at St Stithians College.

ccs-62657-0-68286100-1444830975.jpg

Comments

Vanzyl

Oct 15, 2015, 10:32 AM

Super HOT frame!!!!!!

Suidwes Boytjie

Oct 15, 2015, 10:54 AM

Super HOT frame!!!!!!

I must say so myself... but man at $3200-$4500 (according to there website) just for the frame that is seriously big money. 

Your talking about almost R42000 just for the frame.  :eek:

JohanMalan

Oct 15, 2015, 10:54 AM

Reports of misaligned rear axles and lots of play in rear triangle.

Hope these have been sorted out as it seems to be a great frame.

Spoke101

Oct 15, 2015, 3:54 PM

I'm all for the bike, but what on earth where they thinking putting a RS-1 with a XT build kit. that's a 28k fork with a 10-14k groupset.

lesego.2

Oct 15, 2015, 8:29 PM

Nice.

rudi-h

Oct 16, 2015, 6:05 AM

I'm all for the bike, but what on earth where they thinking putting a RS-1 with a XT build kit. that's a 28k fork with a 10-14k groupset.

makes sense to me.  there is zero benefit in XTR over XT other than to try and impress people with your cash, however more expensive forks are better than cheaper forks, so IMO it's clever spending of money.

As an example, all else being the same, i'll take a SLX bike with a RS Pike over the same bike kitted with XTR and a Fox 32mm / RS revleation fork any day!

Nick

Oct 16, 2015, 9:39 AM

There is a price limit on the bikes entered in the competition which might have influenced component choice.

Donovan Le Cok

Oct 16, 2015, 9:59 AM

I must say, I just love my Evil Twin. What an incredible bike to ride.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Oct 16, 2015, 10:04 AM

makes sense to me.  there is zero benefit in XTR over XT other than to try and impress people with your cash, however more expensive forks are better than cheaper forks, so IMO it's clever spending of money.

As an example, all else being the same, i'll take a SLX bike with a RS Pike over the same bike kitted with XTR and a Fox 32mm / RS revleation fork any day!

I'd rather have a Reba / Sid and XTR / XX1 gruppo than RS-1 & XT, tbh... 

GoneMTB

Oct 16, 2015, 1:28 PM

Can you vote and win even if you're not there?

Spoke101

Oct 16, 2015, 4:25 PM

makes sense to me. there is zero benefit in XTR over XT other than to try and impress people with your cash, however more expensive forks are better than cheaper forks, so IMO it's clever spending of money.

I agree to a point. XTR has slightly better performance but weight is the big difference. More expensive Forks generally mean better performance but double the price for a slight gain if any (depending on who you talk to) is just the same as showing off with your XTR.

The Pike is great whereas the RS-1 not so much for the following Lateral stiffness is lacking, wieght, exposed stanchions, proprietary hub, etc the list goes on.

Would rather have a SID XX WC and XX1 for the same price or the new Fox 32 and XTR for the same money.

Nick

Oct 16, 2015, 6:01 PM

Can you vote and win even if you're not there?

Unfortunately not. You need to be at the fair to vote.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment