Promotions

Winner of the Photo of the Day, March 2014

· By Matt · 16 comments

The voting has been closed and our March winner chosen. Congrats to Disylizzy and her photo “Team Work for the Win” who takes home the GoPro Hero 3+ Silver Edition this month.

http://media.thehubsa.co.za/forum/uploads/gallery/category_11/gallery_12560_11_450272.jpg

Well done Disylizzy!

Some insight on the spirit of the competition

The competition and voting process has been a topic of some debate in the latest voting thread.

The idea of the Photo of the Day feature and monthly competition is to showcase great moments captured by Hubbers. These need not be professional shots with perfect lighting or composition, but that’s not to say they couldn’t be either.

It’s about capturing cycling moments and each image is considered in this spirit rather than a critical review of the technique and quality.

E.g. That “about to eat dirt” photo which captures a panic stricken face (like today’s Photo of the Day) is a great catch. Its a moment and feeling that many can relate to and doesn’t require perfect composition or lighting to convey this.

On the flip side a sunrise or sunset over your favourite trail would need to be a pretty great shot (good light, colour, not grainy) to really convey the feeling in that moment.

When it comes to the voting process the intention is for Hubbers to select their favourite on a similar basis. It will often be the case where people will choose friend’s image, and this is why we have made it so people need to choose three images instead of one. We could leave the decision down to a panel of judges, but we think that it would draw away from the nature of the competition, where it is Hubbers going out and enjoying riding their bikes or enjoying cycling in general.

So we leave it to you to decide. We have tried to make it as fair and as straight forward as possible and have appreciated the feedback, so keep it coming.

Also, don’t forget to keep submitting photos! Just because your photo isn’t chosen immediately, doesn’t mean it won’t be.

Related posts

Comments

Shebeen

Apr 4, 2014, 11:17 AM

in other words, it's definitely not just a photo competition!

I predict Andrew Armstrong (if he enters) will win the April photo of the day with a grainy pic of a chinnarello

Disylizzy

Apr 4, 2014, 11:31 AM

Thank you!

I'm looking forward to playing around with it!

It was a tough competition, all of them really great photos!

Rata Del Spruit

Apr 4, 2014, 11:42 AM

There were some pretty good photos this month, well done

Uni

Apr 4, 2014, 11:46 AM

next up best shorts from your go pro :-)

well done i also want to play now - will remember to try take some cool pics

Capricorn

Apr 4, 2014, 11:52 AM

that win was pure team work indeed! :clap: :thumbup: :devil:

Idiot

Apr 4, 2014, 12:00 PM

Well done Disy!

jaxtun

Apr 4, 2014, 12:04 PM

Great pic Dizz. Enjoy the GOPRO! Use it carefully ;-)

Stretch

Apr 4, 2014, 12:06 PM

I have to laugh...often on the hub you get posts like:

Just entered the bar-one i'm a mans man compo please go to facebook and like

My wife entered the cupcake of the universe compo please go to xyz site and vote

etc etc etc

and everyone goes:

I voted - go for it

I like - good luck

I voted, i got everyone in the office to do flick flacks and vote

Now lizzy does it here, with a cool photo with a cool story and we get cynical little responses.

chaps, ANYTHING that relies on peer votes is a popularity contest...just look at Idols/xyz's got talent etc etc etc

Dubber

Apr 4, 2014, 12:12 PM

Thank you!

I'm looking forward to playing around with it!

It was a tough competition, all of them really great photos!

Well done Dizzy - nice pic. Enjoy the GoPro. :D

Andrew Steer

Apr 4, 2014, 12:18 PM

Well done Disy, we look forward to some heavy action footage from that GoPro of yours!

Escapee..

Apr 4, 2014, 12:24 PM

in other words, it's definitely not just a photo competition!

I predict Andrew Armstrong (if he enters) will win the April photo of the day with a grainy pic of a chinnarello

I predict that even if you asked people to vote for you, you would still come last

gummibear

Apr 4, 2014, 12:24 PM

Congrats Miss Lizzy :clap: :clap: :clap:

TwinDiesel

Apr 4, 2014, 12:34 PM

Well done Disylizzy! The hike up Meerendal's trails was well worth the effort.

G e r h a r d Odendaal

Apr 7, 2014, 5:29 PM

Nice pic, i rode this trail last week, stairway to heaven at Meerendal

udxcob

Apr 9, 2014, 7:55 PM

Lizzy you are going to have to take a few videos of our rides hey

Squier

Apr 10, 2014, 4:54 AM

Congrats Lizzy! That is still a really cool photo. Not quite a chameleon, but cool. :P

Enjoy that GoPro!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment