Promotions

Winner of the Photo of the Day, May 2014

· By Matt · 82 comments

Voting’s all done and our May winner has been chosen! Congratulations to Grebel for his shot “Between the tapes”.

http://media.thehubsa.co.za/forum/uploads/gallery/category_11/gallery_17843_11_214621.jpg

The result and an audit of the votes

If you were following the voting the winner announcement may be somewhat of a surprise. After the voting closed on Friday we did a quick run through votes to ensure no foul play. In the process we discovered a few suspect votes. Upon further investigation we found no less than 34 fraudulent votes. I.e. where one individual used more than one account to cast a vote. This of course had a significant impact on the outcomes of the vote.

As at 12pm on Friday the top 5 were as follows:

1. 09 May 2014: Wits Wall Riding, the best playground in JHB – 66 votes

2. 25 May 2014: Between The tapes – 63 votes

3. 01 May 2014: Rail or Fail – 41 votes

4. 19 May 2014: Greg Minnaar on the rocks – 37 votes

5. 22 May 2014: Max the Weimaraner and Single Track! – 35 votes

After removing the duplicate votes the final standing looked like this:

1. 25 May 2014: Between The tapes – 56 votes

2. 09 May 2014: Wits Wall Riding, the best playground in JHB – 35 votes

3. 19 May 2014: Greg Minnaar on the rocks – 33 votes

4. 22 May 2014: Max the Weimaraner and Single Track! – 33 votes

5. 01 May 2014: Rail or Fail – 29 votes

While there were one or two chance takers voting more than once (people with existing duplicate accounts for business / personal use), there was one individual who racked up 30 fake votes. We’re still investigating and connecting the final dots, but will make an announcement regarding further action soon.

Going forward

Moving ahead we’re rethinking our approach to the competition. Unfortunately the public vote is open to manipulation, whether that be in the form of fake votes or simply a case of who can rally the most support.

At this stage we’re looking at an independent panel of 5-10 judges to select a monthly winner. However I’d appreciate any comments in this regard.

Related posts

Comments

jaxtun

Jun 9, 2014, 3:01 PM

Well done Grebes - great job!! Sure you will have MANY minutes of enjoyment!

gasworx

Jun 9, 2014, 3:08 PM

whoooo hoooooo Grebs...well done dude!!

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Jun 9, 2014, 3:26 PM

Nice Gregg!!! Couldn't have gone to a better oke.

Jun 9, 2014, 3:33 PM

and quite frankly, while voting for mates is perfectly fine, the length at which this result was "decided" by fictitious accounts - which could only have been put into place with the sole aim of winning this competition, MORE THAN A MONTH AGO - is disgusting.

I propose that voting only be open to members with more than 100 posts. At least that way there's a way of weeding out dual posters before they have a chance of voting in the compo.

alexwc46

Jun 9, 2014, 3:49 PM

I think the panel voting is a great idea!

worriesnot

Jun 9, 2014, 3:51 PM

Congrats Gregg!

Stretch

Jun 9, 2014, 4:23 PM

and quite frankly, while voting for mates is perfectly fine, the length at which this result was "decided" by fictitious accounts - which could only have been put into place with the sole aim of winning this competition, MORE THAN A MONTH AGO - is disgusting.

I propose that voting only be open to members with more than 100 posts. At least that way there's a way of weeding out dual posters before they have a chance of voting in the compo.

Or submitting at least.. I.e you can only submit a photo if you have more then 100 posts

Stretch

Jun 9, 2014, 4:23 PM

And congrats grebs

Coenie

Jun 9, 2014, 4:41 PM

Well done Grebs, you big boy!

Shebeen

Jun 9, 2014, 4:46 PM

I go for panel to select best picture, then we might actually have a best pic winning not a mashup of pic/popularity contest...I got pm asking me to vote this month, which is *** style in my mind.

Stretch

Jun 9, 2014, 4:50 PM

Everything in life is a popularity contest.. You telling me that whoever wings idols that x show or that talent show is the best... Nope.... they are the most popular

Jun 9, 2014, 5:02 PM

I go for panel to select best picture, then we might actually have a best pic winning not a mashup of pic/popularity contest...I got pm asking me to vote this month, which is *** style in my mind.

Thing is, we already have a panel voting for the pic of the day. And this is a community, so the final decision should be left to us. IMO.

I

Brogue

Jun 9, 2014, 6:26 PM

My vote clinched it, for sure :D

RocknRolla

Jun 9, 2014, 6:30 PM

Sho, I thought this community was slightly more mature than fake votes with fake accounts.

Might as well go steal the bucks from a bank if you want the GoPro so badly....

Brogue

Jun 9, 2014, 6:35 PM

Thing is,t his is a community, so the final decision should be left to us. IMO.

AMT

(and mine too)

Guest notmyname

Jun 9, 2014, 6:57 PM

Sho, I thought this community was slightly more mature than fake votes with fake accounts.

It's corruption and a shameful deed.

Brogue

Jun 9, 2014, 7:05 PM

Every community has it's rotten rotten apples, fortunately the infection rate is low in ours.

stokerG

Jun 9, 2014, 7:12 PM

Pity though that it is not those faking votes that lose out, but rather someone who just entered a picture fair and square. I guess that's just how it goes. What is fair anymore.

Brogue

Jun 9, 2014, 7:25 PM

Pity though that it is not those faking votes that lose out, but rather someone who just entered a picture fair and square. I guess that's just how it goes. What is fair anymore.

I suspect the vote faker will be banned from the site, THAT's FAIR.

TwinDiesel

Jun 9, 2014, 7:47 PM

A panel consisting of the previous winners and a admin representitive?

Peach.

Jun 9, 2014, 8:37 PM

I agree, I think anyone that sent a pm out asking for votes should be disqualified. That's clearly going from best photo to just getting votes.

Am I the only person that doesn't quite see the value that picture brings to a photo competition?

Brogue

Jun 9, 2014, 8:42 PM

I agree, I think anyone that sent a pm out asking for votes should be disqualified. That's clearly going from best photo to just getting votes.

Am I the only person that doesn't quite see the value that picture brings to a photo competition?

PM's are private, their content may not be disclosed according to HUB rules. Besides, value is relative.

Peach.

Jun 9, 2014, 8:55 PM

PM's are private, their content may not be disclosed according to HUB rules. Besides, value is relative.

Who said anything about disclosing it. Admin can check very easily and just disqualify them, I don't care what was said.

None in other words ;)

Brogue

Jun 9, 2014, 9:56 PM

Who said anything about disclosing it. Admin can check very easily and just disqualify them, I don't care what was said.

None in other words ;)

I hear you Perske :)

Admin may baulk at the idea of breaking their own rules.

Asking a fellow hubber to vote a particular way is no different to what happens on FB and other virtual communities every day. In fact, what happens here, mirrors real life as it did in the recent general elections. The result may not be what everyone wished for, but it remains legitimate nonetheless.

There is currently no rule against lobbying for votes, or voting for a mate. Until such a rule is specifically introduced, PM's, smoke signals, morse code and any other form of lobbying remain perfectly "legal". Even then it could easily be circumvented with text messages, WhatsApp, weChat, bbm, email and ordinary telephone calls.

Where people gather, it's inevitable alliances will form.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment