Tech

Bike Check: Martin Gujan’s Silverback Superbike Concept

· By Nick · 6 comments

Team Novus OMX Pro (Fabian Giger and Martin Gujan) surprised many when they won the Absa Cape Epic Prologue and did well to break the top 10 with their 9th in the general classification. The ladies did even better finishing in 6th place. We take a look at Gujan’s Silverback Superbike Concept (SBC).

SIlverback Cape Epic 1.jpg

The bike Gujan rode in the Cape Epic was a prototype. The rear triangle being aluminium with the production model planned to be carbon. The final outcome of this design should form the platform for Silverback’s eagerly awaited Sesta range.

SIlverback Cape Epic 2.jpg

SIlverback Cape Epic 6.jpg

Like many pro bike’s at the Cape Epic, this one is propelled by SRAM XX1 drive gear. Pedals are Crank Brothers Eggbeaters. The shock being Fox’s Kashima coated Factory edition of the Float CTD.

SIlverback Cape Epic 5.jpg

Paul Beales, Novus OMX Pro team manager, carrying out his bike holding duties diligently. He was super excited about the bike and his team’s prospects for the Epic (this was on Stage 2) and the year ahead (including the World Cup XCO events).

SIlverback Cape Epic 7.jpg

The wheelset is Tune’s Olympic Gold II which comes in at a claimed weight of 1400 grams. The set features Tune’s Princess hub up front and Prince hub on the back wheel. The aluminium rims are laced with Sapim CX-RAY spokes. Rider weight limit is 77kgs (that counts me out).

SIlverback Cape Epic 9.jpg

SIlverback Cape Epic 8.jpg

Gujan chose the Prologo Scratch 2 CPC to protect his soft tissues during the Cape Epic. The CPC technology, those tiny little finger-like patches, is supposed to help with shock absorption, assist with grip and allow airflow for cooling.

We are hoping to get the Silverback Sesta in for review as soon as it’s ready for market. It will be interesting to see how the production Sesta compares to this Superbike Concept prototype.

Related posts

Comments

DJuice

Apr 20, 2015, 6:07 PM

No comments, interesting...lots of opinions regarding the Pyga. Did Silverback missed the opportunity?

Jaco-fiets

Apr 20, 2015, 7:40 PM

Fugly

Tatt

Apr 21, 2015, 4:29 AM

I doubt the Pyga has such a low weight limit!

Guest Karma

Apr 21, 2015, 5:17 AM

I doubt the Pyga has such a low weight limit!

just the wheel build. 

Shebeen

Apr 21, 2015, 6:45 AM

that rear swingarm is quite interesting, the no drive side has quite a large extra strut...been done before?

dee_biker

Apr 21, 2015, 10:15 AM

Fugly

Matter of personal opinion... I quite like it.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment