Tech

Hungry Monkey Part 3: The build kit

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 101 comments

A custom build is always a rewarding project. Part of this is the agonising process of looking for the perfect fit of design and components. For me, the direction of the build gets locked down once the look, or in this case the colours, has been decided. Once that is done, then the hunt for a complementary build kit begins.

ccs-62657-0-30162200-1425022977.jpg

Searching for satisfactory components can take a while and bring about many direction changes – as I’m sure BogusOne can attest to. For instance, with this build the final look was only determined after it became clear that I wouldn’t be able to get my hands on a green DVO Diamond fork in time. Seeing it all come together in the end is rewarding and a big part of why I go the bike build route rather buying a complete bike.

Frame: Mercer Bikes Hungry Monkey

Frame builder: Mercer Bikes

The frame and reasoning behind it has been covered thoroughly in Part 1 and Part 2. What is new, however, is the spray job by Bogus Designs (user BogusOne on The Hub) and the inspiration for it.

ccs-62657-0-53582800-1425027931.jpg

The brief handed to Bogus Designs for the frame paint scheme.

The inspiration for the Hungry Monkey’s look came from the big screen. The idea really took off when I saw custom paint jobs Field Cycles did on two of their bikes. I have become a big fan of their work and the incredible passion and attention to detail is obvious. Pearl Drums nailed the coffin shut when they showed a unique colour kit at the 2015 NAMM Show. I shared my ideas with Anton (BogusOne) and he took the initiative from there.

Fork: RockShox Pike RCT3 Dual Position, 150mm

Distributor: Cape Cycle Systems

There is not a lot that needs to be said about the Pike, as it’s reputation precedes it. For the first time in years, I have gone with a dual position fork. This was done for two reasons. Firstly, there was the desire to compare how it feels out on the trails to fixed travel forks. Secondly, I thought it could be a good fit on the Hungry Monkey as the ability to drop the travel will come in handy when tackling technical climbs or using it as a “play” bike.

ccs-62657-0-78119300-1425030807.jpg

Wheelset: Derby Rims / Industry Nine Torch Hubs / DT Swiss Aerolite Spokes

Rims: Cycle Factory / Hubs: Rush Sports Cycling / Spokes: SCOTT Sports Africa

Derby Rims were the first properly wide, competitively priced and durable carbon rims to hit the market. Launched in the U.S. in 2013, they have proven themselves to be reliable, strong and a popular choice for custom wheel builders. I won’t go into too much depth on the wide rim debate here, but I consider myself a believer following a good couple of months on a set of American Classic Wide Lightnings. The 34mm Inner / 40mm Outer profile of the Derby rims is a level up from the American Classics and if all the glowing reviews on the Ibis 741 rims (35mm Inner / 41mm Outer) are to be believed, then I shouldn’t be disappointed with these.

ccs-62657-0-97873700-1425023366.jpg

I picked Industry Nine hubs for their reliability, crazy sound, adaptability and super fast engagement. For what they offer, they are very competitively priced and the fact that one can order them in all sorts of anodised colours adds to the lure.

Going with a complete Industry Nine wheelset with red spokes was an option, but I soon realised that I would struggle to match the anodised red with the overall look of the bike. Instead, I opted for DT Swiss Aerolite spokes for their look, competitive weight and the wider profile of bladed spokes.

Drivetrain: SRAM X1

Chosen for the value it represents over its 1×11 siblings and (to be perfectly honest) being all black. I am looking forward to giving SRAM’s entry 11-speed mountain bike groupset a go and comparing it to the XX1 and X01.

ccs-62657-0-86387700-1425030817.jpg

Seatpost: RockShox Reverb Stealth, 125mm drop

Another RockShox product that doesn’t need much of an intro or explanation. I like how the Stealth version keeps things neat and tidy, and being black plays well the overall look. In three years, I’ve only had one mechanical on a Reverb and that was when an OTB incident tore the hose and locked the post in the dropped position.

Brakes: Hope Stealth Tech Evo with 183mm floating rotors

Distributor: International Trade

The only piece of kit that has survived from my Ibis Mojo HDR build. Back then RockShox’s Guide range of stoppers were just announced. It will be interesting to see how the Hope brakes fair against the Guide RSC’s that I’m running on another bike. So far the RSC’s have been faultless, but can they compete long term with Britain’s finest? Time will tell.

ccs-62657-0-36078800-1425030801.jpg

Tyres: Hans Dampf TLR 2.35 front, 2.25 rear

Distributor: Stage N9NE

I had these tyres on another bike and was impressed with their all-round performance; although sand seemed to be their weakness. Having experience with these tyres, I decided use them as a benchmark to assess the impact that the Derby Rims have on tyre performance. The tyres have been converted to tubeless using the supplied Derby rim tape and Stan’s NoTubes sealant.

Pedals: Point1 Podium

Distributor: Not available locally.

Not as sticky as Spank’s Spike flat pedal, but I had these in the parts bin and will probably ride them until they die.

ccs-62657-0-83598400-1425030804.jpg

Bottle Cages: Specialized Zee Cage II with EMT Cage Mount Tool

Distributor: Specialized SA

Credit to Specialized for their range of S.W.A.T. kit and gear. It offers solutions to problems that actually exist and brings versatility to riders – prefect. With these I will be able to hit the trails without the need for a hydration pack and will only need a pocket for an energy bar or cellphone. (With only 1 broken chain and no flats on tubeless tyres in over 6 years, I feel it’s a calculated risk to not carry any spares or additional tools with me on rides).

ccs-62657-0-36590700-1425030815.jpg

Handlebar & Stem: Easton Haven 35 Carbon 20mm Riser Bar, 750mm | Easton Haven 35 Stem, 50mm

Distributor: Hullabaloo

ccs-62657-0-83097000-1425030795.jpg

It is incredible how much mountain bike geometry, set up and trends have changed over the last couple of years. The revolution has pushed gear and kit to new heights with innovation resulting in a number of new standards. One of which is handlebars and stems with a 35mm clamping area. The additional diameter has allowed manufacturers to keep the weight down and strength up on wider bars. Easton was one of the first big players to release 35mm bars and stems and it certainly looks like it’s here to stay and possibly take over as the steering of choice for longer travel bikes.

Saddle: SDG Duster Mountain Ti-Alloy

Distributor: A-Line MTB and Outdoor

Speed Defies Gravity has got to be the coolest name in the business! It’s not the only reason it made the parts pick. I’ve been riding SDG saddles for the last couple of years and have found them to my liking and they’ve proven themselves to be very durable.

ccs-62657-0-73231300-1425030812.jpg

Grips: ODI Rogue

Distributor: Cycles Africa

I have been a fan of ODI for as long as I can remember. With colour, width and feel options to suit just about every rider regardless of discipline. The Rogues have been my grip of choice, as they provide an extra bit of give without being too soft or spongy. Plus, they perform well come rain or shine.

Headset: Nukeproof Warhead 44IETS

Distributor: Dial’d Bikes

Along with a bike’s bottom bracket, the headset is often an unsung hero expected to slave without much love and attention. This will be the first time I try a Nukeproof headset, but judging from the quality of their other gear I’m sure it will perform flawlessly.

Comments

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Mar 9, 2015, 4:27 AM

Droooooooooooool

SimpleDom

Mar 9, 2015, 4:36 AM

That thing will be able to kill with a single thought!

(Deon)

Mar 9, 2015, 5:21 AM

post-13110-0-93185100-1425878478_thumb.gif

Sidewinder.

Mar 9, 2015, 6:50 AM

Build it up already! (those are the hope race levers not the tech)

Hairy

Mar 9, 2015, 7:31 AM

So very excited for you, congrats and enjoy!

I have used a Nukeproof headset before, and it did it's job well.

Hairy

Mar 9, 2015, 7:49 AM

Oh ... PITCHAS (detailed pitchas) of the frame please....

Hairy

Mar 9, 2015, 7:50 AM

I know there is more in store, but just a few tasty snap shots please!

Iwan Kemp

Mar 9, 2015, 8:05 AM

post-1575-0-23275200-1425888347_thumb.jpg

Hairy

Mar 9, 2015, 8:17 AM

you are such a tease!

BenGraham

Mar 9, 2015, 8:30 AM

Red and black is really passe in the mtb world as far as I can tell. Surely they could have delivered something a little more interesting. All those visual references to come to the same conclusion as so many before. Red, black and white go together well. Grief its like no one who rides a bike has ever heard of colour theory.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/10/learn-the-basics-of-color-theory-to-know-what-looks-good/

Mar 9, 2015, 8:48 AM

Red and black is really passe in the mtb world as far as I can tell. Surely they could have delivered something a little more interesting. All those visual references to come to the same conclusion as so many before. Red, black and white go together well. Grief its like no one who rides a bike has ever heard of colour theory.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/10/learn-the-basics-of-color-theory-to-know-what-looks-good/

ARE you trolling, or just generally being a dick? It's a custom spray based on Iwan's tastes and preferences.

SimpleDom

Mar 9, 2015, 8:51 AM

Really? You took time out your day to come and write this onto someone's custom build thread. You must be a really good person in real life.

Sure, you're welcome to your opinion. I suppose the inside voice was temporarily out of commission.

Mar 9, 2015, 9:10 AM

Really? You took time out your day to come and write this onto someone's custom build thread. You must be a really good person in real life.

Sure, you're welcome to your opinion. I suppose the inside voice was temporarily out of commission.

guess he hasn't been outside in a while...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hjEBFCLOkOY/UOFLTKJgtkI/AAAAAAAAAdM/MzZ_AK0PkEU/s1600/Black_and_Red_Car_Wallpaper_1920x1200_wallpaperhere.jpghttp://www.vehiclehi.com/thumbnails/detail/20121102/black%20muscle%20cars%20front%20ford%20shelby%20red%20stripe%20ford%20mustang%20shelby%20gt500%201600x1200%20wallpaper_www.vehiclehi.com_5.jpghttp://hdwallpaper.freehdw.com/0009/cars_widewallpaper_ferrari-f430-black-miracle_81911.jpg

BogusOne

Mar 9, 2015, 9:18 AM

http://media.giphy.com/media/7bUPZCjXdXU7m/giphy.gif

Mar 9, 2015, 9:20 AM

http://media.giphy.com/media/7bUPZCjXdXU7m/giphy.gif

You tell him, Bogie. 

Fabian46

Mar 9, 2015, 9:22 AM

You clearly can't tell much.....

Vangar

Mar 9, 2015, 9:29 AM

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131126074804/spinpasta/images/5/50/Nobody-cares-spongebob.jpg

Love the look, can't wait to see the finished product.

Iwan Kemp

Mar 9, 2015, 9:36 AM

Okay, another sneak but only to get the thread back on (the black and red) track

post-1575-0-09565100-1425893787_thumb.jpg

Hairy

Mar 9, 2015, 9:38 AM

Judging from the pic, it looks like a clear coat over the steel and not a full colour over ?

NicoBoshoff

Mar 9, 2015, 9:40 AM

Few things been bugging me on the Hub and apologies for doing it on this thread:

I guess the point is this is a "private thread" so whilst I also don't like the colour combo (my own bike is red/black and I'm over it) I don't come TO the thread for the sole purpose of slamming the guy's idea's.

Same way I feel about PYGA's.  I like the bikes but I find it hilarious how everyone pretends it's still a boutique brand and love slamming other "Big Brands".  They're everywhere. For good reason.  They're great quality bikes.  Doesn't mean that the R60k you pay for your build is not the same R60k someone paid for a "big brand" bike.

Same way I feel about some people on the Hub (and this very thread) who feel the incessant need to go to someone's "Look at my new bike" thread and tell them how often their own one broke or how much they hated it.  That's not being helpful.  That's going to a kid's birthday party, looking at his new bike and promptly telling him how sh*t it is.

To Ben Graham: Build your own damn bike and spray it whatever the hell colour you want.

Mar 9, 2015, 9:53 AM

Judging from the pic, it looks like a clear coat over the steel and not a full colour over ?

sorta like how intense does their black chrome stuff... (on Omega's Intense)

interesting. I want to see it even more now.

Hairy

Mar 9, 2015, 10:03 AM

And my Summer Season .... if it is clear over steel Iwan, then that frame must be really really sexy in the daylight!

Just like mine with clear over steel :P

Shebeen

Mar 9, 2015, 10:04 AM

I like Iwan and his build threads, this bike is going to be hawt hawt hawt!

The fact that the grips are missing from the top picture must have seriously pushed some OCD buttons!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment