Tech

Project BLACK: Part 2 – The Racer

· By Nick · 18 comments

Radical bike builds are not dissimilar from concept cars at motor shows. Last week’s Project BLACK build was a dream ‘weight weenie’ creation from the Momsen Bikes geeks, showing off the potential of the Momsen Bikes VIPA frame. This week’s bike is one for the out-and-out racers: if you’re aiming to be on the start line of a World Cup race or one of South Africa’s prestigious stage races, you’ll want to take notice of this special race build…

VIPA_CUSTOM_0.jpg

The difference between the Momsen VIPA’s Project BLACK series and the Paris Auto Show, is that one is just a pie in the sky with technology to one day filter down to our C-Class and 3-Series cars while the other is one you could potentially ride tomorrow. As “show stopping” as the concept of last week’s build was, it is available to Joe Public (at a hefty price, we’ll add). This VIPA build we’ll nickname “the racer” as it is as close to a Porsche 911 GT3 as is possible in bicycle terms we reckon.

One bike, three personalities.

It weighs in at a more worldly 9.60kg, and that is reportedly on par with the Kargo Pro MTB Team riders’ race rigs. As with the “weight weenie” build, this VIPA frame is a murdered out and offers a 40g weight saving thanks to sporting no paint or decals. It has been dressed with Momsen Design’s DOWNer 90mm carbon stem, UP/DOWN carbon 715mm wide handlebar, headset, seatclamp and Race Silicone grips.

VIPA_CUSTOM_2.jpg
VIPA_CUSTOM_3.jpg

A Rockshox SID World Cup fork and Fox CTD rear shock tame the trails with the VIPA’s low leverage ratio suspension and race-bred frame geometry. Adding even more racing edge to the package are Stan’s NoTubes impressive Valor carbon hoops and an almost full SRAM XX1 groupset with a lightweight KMC X11SL chain. A trusted Fizik saddle offers more weight saving punch and comfort, allowing you to focus on pounding the pedals to place your power to the Arisun/Momsen Tubeless Ready (TLR) tyres to bite into the gravel.

A real world race weapon? Yes. Real-world pace? You bet. A real South African flavour? Bonus. But, what is most appealing? The versatility of this South African “superbike.” That is one aspect of Project BLACK that cannot be bemoaned. Long live Proudly South African!

VIPA_CUSTOM_5.jpg

VIPA_CUSTOM_4.jpg

VIPA_CUSTOM_.jpg

If you missed Part 1 and Part 3 of the Project BLACK series, take a look at the Weight Weenie build here and the Light Enduro build here.

Comments

feetup

Aug 25, 2014, 5:19 AM

Got to be the best build i have ever seen-really a sexy,clean,quality bike.

DJuice

Aug 25, 2014, 5:36 AM

I have to agree!!!

If I could change something:

Front derailleur mount cover.

Beautiful bike!!!

Iwan Kemp

Aug 25, 2014, 5:37 AM

ccs-62657-0-10852000-1408714937.jpg

A thing of beauty.

splat

Aug 25, 2014, 5:47 AM

Wicked!

I thought that this one would have the RS-1.

Or at least a front & rear shock that worked off the same lockout switch.

kingalton

Aug 25, 2014, 6:19 AM

What are the bottlecage holes on the toptube for? a type of "SWAT" system?

rock

Aug 25, 2014, 7:02 AM

What are the bottlecage holes on the toptube for? a type of "SWAT" system?

ja, http://momsenbikes.com/index.php/accessories/on-the-bike/intergrated-toptube-bags

ichops

Aug 25, 2014, 7:18 AM

Bags on then top tube make me think "fun rider / newbie "

EdGe

Aug 25, 2014, 7:42 AM

WOW!

*logs onto AutoTrader to sell car*

rock

Aug 25, 2014, 7:52 AM

Bags on then top tube make me think "fun rider / newbie "

worse.......triathletes :)

DJuice

Aug 25, 2014, 8:29 AM

RS-1 would bump up the price substantially!

Agree with the lock-outs, I will flip them for the push locks to run underneath the handlebars.

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Aug 25, 2014, 8:42 AM

The plain black looks wicked but also like a Chinese blank frame...

Top tube bolts are not to my liking either.

love those Valour wheels though.

MTB hooligan

Aug 26, 2014, 7:14 AM

They just need to give it a sand blasted type finish Momsen logo, do it right and it won't add weight and people would know it's a Momsen and it would be beautiful!!! Anyone need a kidney?

Slowbee

Aug 26, 2014, 3:02 PM

who uses lockouts ?

:eek: :whistling:

hollowchoc

Aug 27, 2014, 6:14 PM

A question to the hubbers, what do you reckon this Vipa would cost? It looks flippin awesome...

DJuice

Aug 27, 2014, 6:31 PM

My geuss will be R78000.

TheV

Aug 28, 2014, 8:35 AM

Love the frame colour scheme, if they sold this frame "as-is" I would buy it.

Maybe they should sell this with an included Decal Pack, with different colours, and people can personalize it to their liking.

awesme

Sep 1, 2014, 4:53 AM

This frame is moving up my next build list quickly, competing against another "Not Available yet" frame.

now to justify why to myself and then to the bank.

G

awesme

Sep 1, 2014, 4:57 AM

Comment/posting seems to have disappeared, lets try again (saying no permission).

I'm no fan of SRAM, make that Shimano is normally my first choice, and well I know them

But those brakes with the integrated RockShox fork lockout is hot.

G

Add a comment

You must log in to comment