Tech

Single speed build project: The build kit part 1

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 33 comments

I am finalising my Single speed build kit and have been finding it more difficult than what I had anticipated.

I have solved most riddles, but I still need a fork and haven’t decided yet on tyres. Ideally I want a steel rigid with a 15mm axle, but that’s proving a bit difficult. I have since widened my search to include any rigid fork with a tapered steerer, but even that is proving itself to be illusive. So for now, I will leave that part of the build blank. To be continued.

Frame

I have sourced and bought a Momsen STR 29 for the project.

ccs-41808-0-21826600-1393835554.jpg

I was 100% convinced to strip it down and give it a spray-job until I took it out of the box and saw it in the flesh. The Momsen STR 29 is sculpted using Reynolds 520 tubing and thanks to Tange sliding dropouts allows for geared or single speed drivetrains. I like this as it future-proofs my investment should I wish to run it geared somewhere in the future.

Thanks to a 44mm oversized headtube I can run a straight or tapered steerer. Although, as mentioned, I would prefer to run a tapered steerer. Fit and finish on the frame is up to Momsen’s usual high standards with lots of attention to detail. I will share more pics of the frame in my next installment.

The STR29 is available in four colours ranging from classic to funky and can be bought directly from their online store: http://momsenbikes.com/shoponline

Saddle

My saddle of choice will be a Selle Italia Shiver. In it’s current form it’s dressed in Troy Lee Design graphics, but it will get a completely new makeover thanks to the team at www.velobrien.com. A nip and tuck of sorts. They will also work their magic on a set of lock-on grips I have lying around.

ccs-41808-0-80919500-1393835561.jpg

Wheels

The wheelset will be something from the American Classic catalogue. I am not going to run a dedicated single speed wheelset as this will limit my options in the future. I still haven’t decided exactly, I have narrowed it down to either American Classic’s Tubeless 29 or their latest Wide Lightning.

Tyres

I would ideally like to go with Schwalbe Kojaks or something similar, but I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for in 29″. The search continues.

Stem, Handlebar and Seatpost

The little OCD fella in me insists on having the stem, handlebar and seatpost come from the same family! Having searched far and wide for a handlebar and stem to suit my preference (bars must be wide and flat, stem must be short and low) I’ve ended up pulling the trigger on a Nukeproof handlebar, stem and seatpost in silver. Old meets new! Still waiting for it to arrive so I am unfortunately unable to share pics at the moment, but will include them in my build update next time round.

Nukeproof gear is available online from Dial’d Bikes. http://dialdbikes.co.za/nukeproof.html

Drivetrain & Brake

Single speed for the win here. I’m keeping it simple and “clean” for the most part. Parts will be a combination of old and new, with lots of elbow grease required to get it looking new and sparkly silver. The bike will be built without a front brake as I feel there won’t be a need for one on this bike. Let’s see how long that lasts!

Pedals?

I have something planned with the pedals, but we’re not 100% sure yet that it will work. Stay tuned for more on this!

That’s it for now. Any suggestions for a fork and tyres will be welcomed.

Check out the other installations: The Idea, The frame part 1, The frame part 2.

Are you planning a build? Do you want to have it featured? Send us a mail at features@thehubsa.co.za

Comments

Shebeen

Mar 3, 2014, 10:01 AM

Eish, no front brake?!

rock

Mar 3, 2014, 10:33 AM

Eish, no front brake?!

ja, this parts makes me confused?

Iwan Kemp

Mar 3, 2014, 11:32 AM

Eish, no front brake?!

Yip

ja, this parts makes me confused?

It'll all make sense soon enough.

Hairy

Mar 3, 2014, 1:20 PM

you getting one of those adaptors that can turn a rear disc hub into a fixed hub if you turn the wheel around?

like this .... http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/articles/tomchow/dischub/

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/pictures/dscn4374a.jpg

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Mar 3, 2014, 1:23 PM

You mean a flip flop hub?

Iwan Kemp

Mar 3, 2014, 1:23 PM

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/44977755.jpg

Mar 3, 2014, 1:24 PM

If you read the post again, hairy, he says he's not going for a ss specific wheel for futureproofing. So I would expect a normal hub with spacers...

the nerd

Mar 3, 2014, 1:26 PM

Not quite but similar...

Shebeen

Mar 3, 2014, 1:27 PM

Yip

It'll all make sense soon enough.

retro rockets?

(once had to do ~300km of a loong adventure race with no rear brake, if i could only have 1 brake, i would pick the front)

rock

Mar 3, 2014, 1:30 PM

I also though he was going off road fixed, but he says no front brake, tat would require no rear brake.......i'm more confused.

rumor has it my singlespeed build will have 2 brakes......

Flowta

Mar 3, 2014, 1:33 PM

If you read the post again, hairy, he says he's not going for a ss specific wheel for futureproofing. So I would expect a normal hub with spacers...

You don't need a SS specific hub for those fixie sprockets Hairy posted

Ryanpmb

Mar 3, 2014, 1:34 PM

Urban monster cruiser much?...

Mar 3, 2014, 1:37 PM

Not quite but similar...

Oh now that is neat... just had a closer look...

Mar 3, 2014, 1:38 PM

Not quite but similar...

the nerd

Mar 3, 2014, 1:51 PM

They very cool, guys mainly use them for Fixed MTB

Hairy

Mar 3, 2014, 1:55 PM

read s l o w l y cpt
Flowta

Mar 3, 2014, 2:00 PM

read s l o w l y cpt

Actually, he only needs to look at the pictures :ph34r:

Mar 3, 2014, 3:30 PM

read s l o w l y cpt

Lol. Yeah. I was in the middle of a wiring issue at home. Bloody plugs switch kept tripping and there are 3 rooms in the one circuit. Traced it down to a severed conduit between 2 plug points. Luckily it was the last plugpoint in the one room. Absolute bitch to diagnose and trace.

Iwan Kemp

Mar 4, 2014, 7:53 AM

Lol. Yeah. I was in the middle of a wiring issue at home. Bloody plugs switch kept tripping and there are 3 rooms in the one circuit. Traced it down to a severed conduit between 2 plug points. Luckily it was the last plugpoint in the one room. Absolute bitch to diagnose and trace.

Sounds like a killer night out!

marko35s

Mar 4, 2014, 8:16 AM

Sounds like a killer night out!

Nah, he had a shocking time...
Hairy

Mar 4, 2014, 9:29 AM

Nah, he had a shocking time...

I thought he was "tripping"
marko35s

Mar 4, 2014, 9:30 AM

I thought he was "tripping"