Exclusive: 2016 Momsen VIPA Trail Prototype

Planned as a 2016 Model, the VIPA Trail has been in development for several months and a couple of running prototypes have started to hit our trails for feedback and further design improvements.
MOMSEN VIPA TRAIL-1.jpg

Following on the success of the full carbon VIPA and the recent Team Issue with dedicated 1x chainstays, this new frame is set to be an exciting addition to Momsen Bike's ever expanding range for the 2016 season.

MOMSEN VIPA TRAIL-6.jpg

Final specification and geometry are still being confirmed ahead of the 2016 Dealer presentations, but what we do know for now is the following:
  • Increased rear wheel travel to better cope with bigger hits
  • Plusher suspension tune for increased traction and small bump efficiency
  • Lower BB to better carve single track and rail berms
  • Production frames won't have Momsen Bike's integrated top tube bag
  • Slacker head angle to make the bike big-mountain friendly
  • Longer top tube for better reach when running a shorter stem
  • Increased tire clearance to be able to run wider tires with bigger knobblies (Note: prototypes use existing moulds from the Team Issue, but production will see an entire new rear end)
  • Internal routing for dropper seat posts
  • Optimized for 120mm - 140mm forks

MOMSEN VIPA TRAIL-5.jpg

MOMSEN VIPA TRAIL-2.jpg

First Ride

I've spend some time on a large running prototype on Cape Town trails and can only say that Momsen Bikes have a potential winner on their hands. It manages a fine balance between a trail ripper and all day, all mountain bike through it's lower bottom bracket, longer top tube and reach, and bang up to date angles.

MOMSEN VIPA TRAIL-4.jpg

Handling is sharp with a lively ride, coupled with great traction. The lower BB allows it to rip around berms without causing pedal strikes on every bend. The longer top tube means that I could comfortably run a shorter stem with wider bars and not feel cramped or run out of breathing space on longer rides.

MOMSEN VIPA TRAIL-7.jpg

Once at the top the lively ride and sharp handling makes for a super fun and rewarding ride. It doesn't take long to realise that the VIPA Trail can be enjoyed with a slammed dropper post. I've run a 120mm Revelation and 140mm Pike on the bike and it is comfortable with both. The extra burl and confidence the Pike brings is not let down by the bike's rear suspension.

I am sure the versatility of the frame will suit many local trail riders to the T and with a well thought-out component choice this bike could be many things to many riders. 2016 already looks promising.

MOMSEN VIPA TRAIL-8.jpg

Please note that the complete bicycle as pictured features a custom build and does not represent final specification or OE parts. Decals on the bicycle is unique to this prototype and does not represent what the production model will look like. The Momsen logo on the top tube features a "camouflage" design idea borrowed from the car industry to keep prying eyes guessing.

95 Comments

rock, Feb 09 2015 02:23

The Momsen logo on the top tube features a "camouflage" design idea borrowed from the car industry to keep prying eyes guessing. 

You know what would keep me guessing......no decals.

Iwan Kemp, Feb 09 2015 02:26

You know what would keep me guessing......no decals.

Like this?

10838441_783654868357971_670583906_n.jpg

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem, Feb 09 2015 02:41

Interesting that they're speccing a Float X on there... Shredding harder than people may think, maybe?

rock, Feb 09 2015 02:42

ja,ja....... :)

decals are actually quite catchy, they should try use them for the basis of the bikes production paint job......

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem, Feb 09 2015 02:49

ja,ja....... :)

decals are actually quite catchy, they should try use them for the basis of the bikes production paint job......

Hey! I said that as well... 

:)

They're really kiff decals. 

Odinson, Feb 09 2015 06:36

This bike will obviously have the Momsen fanboys jizzing their pants, but honestly, how will this bike be any different from the hordes of other mid-travel trail bikes?

It really doesn't seem to be anything new or special.

(Deon), Feb 09 2015 06:38

Hey! I said that as well... 

:)

They're really kiff decals. 

What the "MAMPAR"?

Can you see it?

(Deon), Feb 09 2015 06:38

Like this?

Jinne! What's that?! 

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem, Feb 09 2015 06:45

Jinne! What's that?!

Same bike. No decals.

Johny Bravo, Feb 09 2015 06:55

This bike will obviously have the Momsen fanboys jizzing their pants, but honestly, how will this bike be any different from the hordes of other mid-travel trail bikes?

It really doesn't seem to be anything new or special.

They are a couple of years late to the party. There are loads of these bikes, and they are mostly all good aswell. Pygas, Stumpys, Trances etc etc.

(Deon), Feb 09 2015 06:58

Same bike. No decals.

Hey, don't make me use that comic sans on you... 

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem, Feb 09 2015 07:45

Hey, don't make me use that comic sans on you...

It's been a long day. 3 days without coffee. And for me, that's huge.

(Deon), Feb 09 2015 07:51

mampar.jpg

MAMPAR!

I'd like to ride it.. Can I, huh?

Storm 78, Feb 09 2015 09:02

Why not call it a momsen mampara. That would make it proudly South African

Iwan Kemp, Feb 10 2015 08:06

Man I have been waiting for you to write this article for a while now Crow.

Waiting waiting waiting... and them bam - still no confirmation on the rear travel! 

650b wheels on size smalls?

How much longer TT in comparison to the same size regular Vipa?

I'd like to see how long the front centre is. Slacker usually means longer and getting toolong up front ain't so lekker for the singletrack climbing

Geometry might still get a tweak or two hence the reason for no firm numbers just yet. As is it's pretty damn spot on so the production model may be quite similar. We'll know soon enough...

GLuvsMtb, Feb 10 2015 08:16

attachicon.gifmampar.jpg

MAMPAR!

I'd like to ride it.. Can I, huh?

I guess a MAMPAR is a rather big and wild MAMPARRA? 

Iwan Kemp, Feb 10 2015 08:27

I guess a MAMPAR is a rather big and wild MAMPARRA? 

Yip, and whatever happens make sure you never run into a DADPAR.

rock, Feb 10 2015 08:44

Geometry might still get a tweak or two hence the reason for no firm numbers just yet. As is it's pretty damn spot on so the production model may be quite similar. We'll know soon enough...

realistically how many different mules are there or would there normally be......is all the 'R&D' just PR once the frame has been designed on a computer and then welded up?

*disclaimer: not trolling, just curious.

rock, Feb 10 2015 08:47

Like this?

oops, your seat tube gusset just fell off..... :)

GoLefty!!, Feb 10 2015 09:04

I guess I would alone in thinking these momsen's are not terribly attractive to look at. Ms
Making that down tube less of a "s" would bump it up a notch in the aesthetics departments

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem, Feb 10 2015 09:07

I guess I would alone in thinking these momsen's are not terribly attractive to look at. Ms
Making that down tube less of a "s" would bump it up a notch in the aesthetics departments

Problem s then that you run out of space for a bottle, from the looks of things... Saying that, the bottle mount looks awfully high... 

GoLefty!!, Feb 10 2015 09:59

Bottle mount is useless where it is.

Iwan Kemp, Feb 10 2015 02:28

realistically how many different mules are there or would there normally be......is all the 'R&D' just PR once the frame has been designed on a computer and then welded up?

*disclaimer: not trolling, just curious.

Generally speaking that will greatly depend on budget and scale of the task at hand. For most, if not all manufacturers, computers can do quite a bit these days.

oops, your seat tube gusset just fell off..... :)

That's a different size to the one in my pics

Very personal as with all things. Reaction of the people who have asked about it on the trails or who I know and have seen it has been good all round.

10865222_706670126106770_1509825381_n.jp

Bottle mount is useless where it is.

With that shock, yes. 

Iwan Kemp, Feb 10 2015 02:29

And another one of it in the wild.

10832300_894392750571758_84194870_n.jpg

Bizkit031, Feb 10 2015 03:56

And another one of it in the wild.
10832300_894392750571758_84194870_n.jpg

And the tires?