GoPro announces Karma drone, Hero5 lineup and more

GoPro, Inc. today unveiled new products and services that dramatically simplify the process of capturing, editing and sharing engaging content, establishing GoPro as an end-to-end storytelling solution.

GoPro’s founder and CEO, Nicholas Woodman, introduced a new line of HERO5 cameras, cloud-based software, and drone, Karma, to international press at the base of Squaw Valley, CA, near Lake Tahoe. The event was broadcast live and can be seen HERE.

28756781_HERO_Family_Cluster_master.jpg

“With these new products, we’re delivering on our promise to make it easy to capture and share engaging stories,” said Woodman.

“HERO5’s ability to auto-upload photos and videos to a GoPro Plus account dramatically simplifies mobile, on-the-go editing, sharing and enjoyment. This is a game-changing experience that we will continue to build upon.”

Woodman adds, “We’re stoked to launch Karma and show how much more it is than a drone. Karma packs Hollywood-caliber aerial, handheld and gear-mounted image stabilization into a backpack. It’s so easy to use, a beginner can have fun straight away.”

In addition to significant gains in performance and convenience, GoPro’s all-new HERO5 line of cameras can auto-upload photos and videos to GoPro Plus, a cloud-based subscription service that makes it easy to access, edit and share GoPro content anytime, anywhere using a phone or computer.

HERO5 Cameras – Cloud-Connected and Simplified.

HERO5 Black – The Best GoPro, Ever.

27235378_HERO5_Black_315_master.jpg
27235497_HERO5_Black_TheFrame_0_master.jpg
27235487_HERO5_Black_TheFrame_135_master.jpg

HERO5 Black is the most powerful, easy-to-use GoPro, ever. Exciting features include:
  • 2-inch Touch Display + Simplified Controls
  • Video Resolutions up to 4K at 30 Frames per Second
  • Professional Quality 12MP Photos
  • Auto-Upload of Photos and Video to Cloud when Camera is Charging*
  • Voice Control with Support for 7 Languages (additional languages coming)
  • Simple 1-Button Control
  • Waterproof Without a Housing to 33 Feet (10m)
  • Compatible with Existing GoPro Mounts, Including Karma
  • Stereo Audio Recording and Advanced Wind Noise Reduction
  • Professional-Grade Electronic Video Stabilization
  • Distortion-Free Wide Angle Video and Photos with New Linear-View Setting
  • RAW and WDR Photo Modes
  • GPS

HERO5 Session – The Best, Only Smaller.

28756203_HERO5_Session_SF_315_master.jpg
28756215_HERO5_Session_SF_0_master.jpg
28756207_HERO5_Session_45_master.jpg

HERO5 Session shares the same small design and brilliant convenience of the original HERO Session camera, but benefits from significant performance upgrades:

• Video Resolutions up to 4K at 30 Frames per Second
  • Professional Quality 10MP Photos
  • Auto-Upload of Photos and Video to Cloud when Camera is Charging*
  • Voice Control with Support for 7 Languages (additional languages coming)
  • Simple 1-Button Control
  • Waterproof Without a Housing to 33 Feet (10m)
  • Compatible with Existing GoPro, Mounts Including Karma
  • Professional-Grade Electronic Video Stabilization
  • Distortion-Free Wide Angle Video and Photos with new Linear-View Setting

KARMA – Much More Than a Drone.

27518380_Karma_0_HERO5_Black_master.jpg

409095.jpeg
27518623_Karma_Grip_45_HERO5_Black_master.jpg

Karma features a compact, fits-in-a-small-backpack design and includes an image-stabilization grip that can be handheld or mounted to vehicles, gear and more. Karma makes it easy for anyone to capture amazingly smooth, stabilized video during almost any activity.

Karma features a painless out-of-the-box experience unlike any other drone in the market:

• Compact and foldable, the entire system fits into the included backpack that’s so comfortable to wear during any activity, users will forget they’ve got it on.
  • A game-style controller features an integrated touch display, making it fun, fast and easy to fly without the need for a separate phone or tablet to see what your drone sees.
  • The 3-axis camera stabilizer can be removed from the drone and attached to the included Karma Grip for capturing ultra-smooth handheld and gear-mounted footage.

GoPro Plus and Quik Apps – Access, Edit and Share Anytime, Anywhere.

GoPro Plus – Game-Changing Convenience.
Offloading and enjoying footage from a GoPro is now as easy as plugging it in to charge. When a HERO5 camera is charging, it can auto-upload photos and videos to GoPro Plus, a cloud-based subscription service that makes it easy to access, edit and share GoPro content anytime, anywhere. Editing and sharing has never been easier with this game-changing experience.

A GoPro Plus subscription also unlocks additional premium benefits:

• Access to an Expansive Library of Music Soundtracks for Editing
  • 20% off Mounts and Accessories at GoPro.com
  • Exclusive Access to GoPro Apparel
  • Premium Support

GoPro Plus supports all camera models* and costs $4.99 per month after a free trial. It will be available in the United States on October 2nd and in additional markets beginning January, 2017. Learn more HERE.

Quik App – Mobile and Desktop Editing Made Awesome.
Editing and sharing content is easy thanks to the Quik app for mobile and desktop. As the name implies, Quik enables users to quickly produce high-quality videos that are fun to create and easy to share.

Using Quik for desktop is simple. Import your videos, pick your favorite moments, choose a soundtrack from a library of songs, and Quik will automatically edit your video to the beat of the music.

The Quik Mobile App – with more than 17 million downloads -- is a fast, easy way to create awesome videos. In just seconds, Quik analyzes your photos and video clips to find the best moments, adds beautiful transitions and effects, and syncs everything to the beat of the music.

Learn more about Quik for mobile and desktop HERE.

Additional New Products
GoPro is also launching several new accessories later this year:

• Quik Key, a key-chain, micro-USB card reader that plugs into your phone to quickly transfer photos and videos from your GoPro.
  • REMO, a voice-activated remote that extends the voice control range of HERO5 cameras while providing one-button remote control.
Learn more about GoPro’s new mounts and accessories HERE.

93 Comments

capediver, Oct 23 2016 10:14

Hey guys. I'm still fresh when it comes to Gopro cameras. Can anyone post a link or explain what the field of veiw does and the different camera settings like when do you use 2.7k etc and why do you change fps. Basically what settings do I use in what situations?
Ps. I have googled but I might be asking the wrong questions as it is not helping much.

Pieter1, Abe has been with GoPro for a while, he knows his stuff...here for the 5 and check his site for the 4 as well...

http://abekislevitz....ro-hero5-black/

Also DC Rainmaker does in-depth reviews....

https://www.dcrainma...ack-review.html

Skylark, Oct 24 2016 08:50

Hey guys. I'm still fresh when it comes to Gopro cameras. Can anyone post a link or explain what the field of veiw does and the different camera settings like when do you use 2.7k etc and why do you change fps. Basically what settings do I use in what situations?
Ps. I have googled but I might be asking the wrong questions as it is not helping much.

Field of view - Gopro's use a very wide angle lens, rather distorted fish eye type perspective if the subject is close up, linear mode removes the perspective distortion, not sure how exactly but it it looks much better, for close up stuff like interviewing someone or showing a closeup of something etc.

The higher the quality the better the video image but the faster the memory card gets filled up and image stabilisation can't be used at 4k. Hi Fps means smoother footage at normal playback rate and the ability to make super slow mo videos from the footage.

For most uses 60fps at 1080 is plenty, if you want super slowed down then do 120fps or of you have a special need for high res footage them go higher quality 4k etc but for most situations that's probably a waste of space(on the Gopro itself and clogging up your computer hdd space, 4k files are enormous).

Matchstix, Oct 24 2016 08:57

That is one thing I don't understand. 4K is impressive, however, for the normal guy on the street it is useless. Even to edit 4k footage you need a beefy PC and if you don't have good software you loose quality anyway. (in my experience)

capediver, Oct 24 2016 10:56

Field of view - Gopro's use a very wide angle lens, rather distorted fish eye type perspective if the subject is close up, linear mode removes the perspective distortion, not sure how exactly but it it looks much better, for close up stuff like interviewing someone or showing a closeup of something etc.

The higher the quality the better the video image but the faster the memory card gets filled up and image stabilisation can't be used at 4k. Hi Fps means smoother footage at normal playback rate and the ability to make super slow mo videos from the footage.

For most uses 60fps at 1080 is plenty, if you want super slowed down then do 120fps or of you have a special need for high res footage them go higher quality 4k etc but for most situations that's probably a waste of space(on the Gopro itself and clogging up your computer hdd space, 4k files are enormous).

Spot on...on the linear FOV, GoPro crops the frames and you lose about 10% of the borders but it really does give a better image than going through barrel distortion via post editing.

The 2.7K res is handy cause you can down res to 1080 in post and get a better vid. There are lots of tricks and so many opinions on getting the best video. Bear in mind that a lot of quality is lost to YouTube processing so you need to go in as high as possible without generating huge files. Handbrake is a good program for compressing vids without losing quality for uploading to Youtube. 

But yeah the go-to settings are usually 1080@120, I have Low Light disabled as it does drop frame rate in poorer light conditions and if you want to slow footage down, that creates artifacts.

Enjoy experimenting!

Pieter1, Oct 24 2016 02:31

Thanks guys! Appriciate all the help! Wish work was not so mal at the moment, but I have a cool trip lined up for friday, then I can play a little.

capediver, Oct 28 2016 08:01

Hey Pieter...how's your GoPro 5 performing?

Pieter1, Nov 11 2016 08:25

Hey Pieter...how's your GoPro 5 performing?

Hey man. Sorry only saw this now. I'm loving it! Still learning tho.

Pieter1, Nov 24 2016 07:34

Hey guys/girls.
Are there any places in JHB that sell the Karma gimbal and chest strap for the Hero 5? Are the accessories on the shelves yet?

RocknRolla, Nov 24 2016 07:54

Hey guys/girls.
Are there any places in JHB that sell the Karma gimbal and chest strap for the Hero 5? Are the accessories on the shelves yet?

Have a look at actiongear.co.za not sure if that stuff has been released locally yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pieter1, Nov 24 2016 09:58

Have a look at actiongear.co.za not sure if that stuff has been released locally yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you man. Nothing in the shops this side yet.

nathrix, Dec 06 2016 05:28

Pulse, Apr 19 2017 03:21

Reviving an old thread instead of starting a new one...

I am looking at getting a drone for mostly video work.  I would probably prefer something that can take a GoPro, but not set on it.

With the recall of the Karma, and the issues with 3DR I'm a bit scared of the newcomers, but can't say that I like the form factor of the Phantom.

Suggestions?

Kevin07, Apr 19 2017 03:29

Have a look at the DJI Mavic pro

http://www.dji.com/mavic

Pretty cool review by Casey Neistat

https://www.youtube....h?v=sw4jDjYnR0U

Shebeen, Jan 09 2018 12:28

so they lost the Drone batlle

https://www.engadget...-and-cuts-jobs/

capediver, Jan 09 2018 12:39

How's the saying go: Don't bring a knife to a gunfight....it's was a non-starter from the get go, never mind the tech issues and recalls...pity....

BaGearA, Aug 10 2019 08:14

Anyone here been using the karma grip ? Reviews , things to look out for ?

I want to try to pick up a second hand one and still deciding 

Hero 7 should arrive in the next two weeks or so 

capediver, Aug 10 2019 08:18

Anyone here been using the karma grip ? Reviews , things to look out for ?

I want to try to pick up a second hand one and still deciding 

Hero 7 should arrive in the next two weeks or so 

Rather look at Evo SS, much more portable, cheaper, rechargeable spare batteries...

Having said that, wait until you see the footage from the 7, with full stabilisation active, you will be amazed!!!