Tech

GoPro HERO9 offers 5K video and 20-megapixel stills

Supplied by GoPro.

· By Press Office · 51 comments

Press Release

GoPro today announced its new camera, HERO9 Black—featuring “more everything”—including a new sensor that delivers 5K video and 20 megapixel photos, next-generation HyperSmooth 3.0 video stabilization with in-camera horizon leveling, a new front-facing display, a larger rear display, 30% more battery life, and a Max Lens Mod accessory that brings Max HyperSmooth video stabilization and Max SuperView ultra wide-angle photo and video to HERO9 Black.

HERO9 Black Features:

• New Image Sensor
  • Video: 5K30, 4K60, 2.7K120, 1440p120, 1080p240 and more
  • Photo: 20MP
  • New 1.4″ front color display with live preview and status modes
  • Larger 2.27″ rear touch display with touch zoom
  • 30% more battery life than HERO8 Black with improved cold weather performance
  • Removable, rechargeable battery
  • HyperSmooth 3.0 with in-camera horizon leveling
  • TimeWarp 3.0 featuring Real Speed and Half Speed
  • 1080p Live Streaming
  • 1080p Webcam mode
  • Power Tools: HindSight, LiveBurst, Scheduled Capture and Duration Capture
  • SuperPhoto + HDR Night lapse video
  • RAW photos
  • Digital lenses
  • Voice control with 14 commands in 11 languages + 6 accents
  • 3 microphones with advanced wind-noise reduction
  • Stereo + RAW audio
  • Larger speaker for improved audio playback
  • Removable lens cover
  • Built-in folding mounting fingers
  • Rugged + waterproof to 33ft (10m)
  • Compatible with Max Lens Mod, Light Mod, Display Mod and Media Mod for HERO9 Black

HERO9 Black is available globally for an MSRP of $449.99.

Introducing the All-New Max Lens Mod for HERO9 Black

ccs-62657-0-17757800-1600276946.jpgThe all-new Max Lens Mod ($99.99) brings unbreakable Max HyperSmooth video stabilization and low-distortion, ultra-wide Max SuperView to HERO9 Black at up to 2.7K60 resolution. Max Lens Mod also allows for horizon lock even when the camera is rotated a full 360°.

The all-new Max Lens Mod ($99.99) brings unbreakable Max HyperSmooth video stabilization and low-distortion, ultra-wide Max SuperView to HERO9 Black at up to 2.7K60 resolution. Max Lens Mod also allows for horizon lock even when the camera is rotated a full 360°. This enables mind blowing creative versatility for social media producers, film and television professionals and weekend warriors, alike.

HERO9 Black-compatible Mods also include the Media Mod for HERO9 Black ($79.99), now with a removable foam windscreen; Display Mod ($79.99); and Light Mod ($49.99).

ccs-62657-0-53294100-1600276879.jpegHERO9 Black—featuring “more everything”—including a new sensor that delivers 5K video and 20 megapixel photos, next-generation HyperSmooth 3.0 video stabilization with in-camera horizon leveling, a new front-facing display, a larger rear display, 30% more battery life, and a Max Lens Mod accessory that brings Max HyperSmooth video stabilization and Max SuperView ultra wide-angle photo and video to HERO9 Black.

Tags:

Related posts

Comments

DR ◣◢

Sep 16, 2020, 6:38 PM

So a copy and paste from the international content.

How about some local pricing and availability?

capediver

Sep 16, 2020, 6:47 PM

Expect about 10% more expensive (not taking $/Ronds exchange disaster into account)....when, well COVID and all, probably year end maybe before....

Matt

Sep 16, 2020, 7:07 PM

Yes, it's the international press release. We'll share local details as soon as we have confirmation.

Jbr

Sep 17, 2020, 6:49 AM

Yes, it's the international press release. We'll share local details as soon as we have confirmation.

wow kudos for the patience shown in this reply  :D  :D

DR ◣◢

Sep 17, 2020, 7:45 AM

Apologies if I came across as rude but reading the same recycled press release on almost every other site just made me expect a little bit more from our local sites. 

I understand that nothing else is available though so I'll keep my eye on the site to see when something local is released.

sawystertrance

Sep 17, 2020, 8:01 AM

I just bought the 8 and am happy with it - except for the non-removeable lens cover. I see the 9 has its cover removeable again.

I have watched some video comparisons and don't see any improvement over the 8 but of course there is improved battery life  and an extra feature or two. I have huge problems editing with HEVC codecs so I can't see the use of 5k ability except for added resolution when reducing to 4k.

Anybody else have a Hero 8 and have editing problems?

BaGearA

Sep 17, 2020, 8:09 AM

I just bought the 8 and am happy with it - except for the non-removeable lens cover. I see the 9 has its cover removeable again.

I have watched some video comparisons and don't see any improvement over the 8 but of course there is improved battery life and an extra feature or two. I have huge problems editing with HEVC codecs so I can't see the use of 5k ability except for added resolution when reducing to 4k.

Anybody else have a Hero 8 and have editing problems?

Ya editing the super high res is a pain with the weird codec's

I have the 7 black and it's been excellent since day one

And AFAIK the lens cover is easily removed and replaced, the voice command is probably my favorite feature

Matt

Sep 17, 2020, 10:53 AM

Apologies if I came across as rude but reading the same recycled press release on almost every other site just made me expect a little bit more from our local sites. 

I understand that nothing else is available though so I'll keep my eye on the site to see when something local is released.

Where possible we always prefer to publish as much local availability and pricing info as we can get. In most cases we'll receive press releases well ahead of the launch date which gives time to get all those ducks in a row. Unfortunately there are times where a press release goes up as-is and will be a repeat of what some have seen elsewhere, but there will always be a good chunk of folks who read it for the first time here.

On pricing, I have seen local retailers offering pre-orders at around R10,400. It also seems you can order online from GoPro with their bundled subscription offer for $499 (~R8,300) including shipping and taxes. We'll need to confirm that there are no hidden duties etc. (from the details at checkout it appears that includes all taxes and duties).

Kom

Sep 17, 2020, 10:56 AM

I also have the 7 Black - still an awesome piece of equipment (this was the GoPro that launched with a death of the gimbal campaign). Video Stabilisation after the 7 was incremental IMO, but the forward facing screen is really quite attractive (even though roughly aiming and framing with a wide angle lens is not that hard).

Another interesting proposition is the weight of the 9, and by implication the promises of better battery life. My Hero 7 is ok if i switch off the GPS, any connectivity (manual image transfers using an SD card reader), and constantly power cycle the camera between recording.

At $449, us locals should be prepared for a Cape Union Mart launch of R9k (R8999) me thinks. Not sure what the local plans are, but if you buy the 9 with the GoPro subscription package, you can save $100 (~R2k) which is a decent saving.

Underachiever

Sep 17, 2020, 5:42 PM

Ya editing the super high res is a pain with the weird codec's

I have the 7 black and it's been excellent since day one

And AFAIK the lens cover is easily removed and replaced, the voice command is probably my favorite feature

Been looking at the 7 as I was waiting for the launch of the 9.

The 7 will now be really good value for money!!!

ChrisF

Sep 17, 2020, 5:52 PM

I have the 7 Black, and the previous 5 or 6.

Yes, editing high res videos requires a very powerfull computer ....

My big gripe with the 7 .... not going to upgrade my software and hardware to be able to use the RAW photos ... and I love shooting in RAW ....

BaGearA

Sep 17, 2020, 6:10 PM

I have the 7 Black, and the previous 5 or 6.

Yes, editing high res videos requires a very powerfull computer ....

My big gripe with the 7 .... not going to upgrade my software and hardware to be able to use the RAW photos ... and I love shooting in RAW ....

what do you mean by that 

I usually just take out the sd and drag the photos i want off there 

ChrisF

Sep 17, 2020, 6:26 PM

what do you mean by that

I usually just take out the sd and drag the photos i want off there

Jpg works fine.

RAW format allows a lot more editing options, but the GoPro RAW format only works on the very latest subscription Lightroom software .... I am perfectly happy with my paid Lightroom. If I wanted to get the new lightroom I would also have to upgrade Windows .... this can become an expensive exercise ....

PS I love using the time lapse photo function ...

EDIT ... Really hope somebody has a hack to use the RAW photos ....

DR ◣◢

Sep 17, 2020, 7:53 PM

Jpg works fine.

RAW format allows a lot more editing options, but the GoPro RAW format only works on the very latest subscription Lightroom software .... I am perfectly happy with my paid Lightroom. If I wanted to get the new lightroom I would also have to upgrade Windows .... this can become an expensive exercise ....

PS I love using the time lapse photo function ...

EDIT ... Really hope somebody has a hack to use the RAW photos ....

It won’t take long for a DNG converter to pop up for the raw files.

Need to see if they work with Capture One. Mmm

sawystertrance

Sep 18, 2020, 6:48 AM

Following GoPro's recommendations for working with the troublesome HEVC files, I installed and use Handbrake.

Seems to work OK and converts HEVC to H.264. It's an extra hassle and cost of time though.

Then, again, with GoPro's recommendation I'm using VSDC to do the video editing on converted files. Very steep learning curve for me and my oldish quadcore really struggles even with 16Gb RAM. If you want it can oupt HEVC again so I like it but of course if you post to YouTube it reduces quality ayway.

And another thing. To upload a 5  minute video to Youtube to 2 hours and 38 minutes! Ouch

But I have to say watching the finished videos direct from storage device on my TV is amazing. The quality is fantastic.

I'd be interested to hear the experiences of others.

Simon123

Sep 22, 2020, 1:35 PM

New DJI Osmo will break them again shortly. 

Spyker101

Sep 22, 2020, 4:33 PM

I just bought the Hero 3. So I've got that going for me which is nice...

JacqVenter

Sep 26, 2020, 9:51 AM

Am I the only one here that owns a gopro that has only ever shot one usable video?

ChrisF

Sep 26, 2020, 10:20 AM

Am I the only one here that owns a gopro that has only ever shot one usable video?

The rest of us WAS super stoked with our attempts .... until we saw the super crazy stuff that CapeDiver and a few others get up to .....

gaan nie nou my naam gat maak om my kommin vids te post nie ....  :ph34r:

capediver

Sep 26, 2020, 2:28 PM

error, no...YouTube MrCapediver....you'll find all sorts of home movies there....????
DR ◣◢

Sep 26, 2020, 6:21 PM

Nope. I definitely can’t get anything useful either. Had one interesting one when I used it on my motorbike helmet when commuting and documented a motocross trip in Bali once.

That was it.

ChrisF

Sep 27, 2020, 5:38 AM

Problem is that we now measure videos against those with cuts from drones, 360 degree cameras and short clips on the bike .... while these are shot of downhill pros ....

Just no way our bar mounted cameras will ever deliver similar footage ....

Ours are for our own families to watch, mostly for Marit's parents to see where we ride.

Our videos of the Spur MTB races may be boring ... okay mostly it is boring. But it is an invaluable training tool.

For the last few months I have only done time lapse photography. Some interesting photos .... just wishing for a raw converter to be able to access more info out of the odd picture...

Rocket-Boy

Sep 27, 2020, 8:26 AM

For the last few months I have only done time lapse photography. Some interesting photos .... just wishing for a raw converter to be able to access more info out of the odd picture...

This is mostly what my gopro has spent its life doing, time lapses of all kinds of stuff.

DR ◣◢

Sep 27, 2020, 9:44 AM

Problem is that we now measure videos against those with cuts from drones, 360 degree cameras and short clips on the bike .... while these are shot of downhill pros ....

Just no way our bar mounted cameras will ever deliver similar footage ....

Ours are for our own families to watch, mostly for Marit's parents to see where we ride.

Our videos of the Spur MTB races may be boring ... okay mostly it is boring. But it is an invaluable training tool.

Have you tried this?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Add a comment

You must log in to comment