Tech

Introducing SRAM RED eTap electronic road drivetrain

· By Press Office · 34 comments

At SRAM, we know that if a technological advancement clutters the experience, it shouldn’t be called an advancement at all. Because it’s a bicycle. It’s supposed to be simple. To make something elegant to the point where it removes what’s in the way… that’s advancement. And that is the standard we held ourselves to while developing our first electronic shifting system. It’s called SRAM RED eTap.

Featuring SRAM’s advanced shift logic (right lever makes it harder, left lever makes it easier, both levers to change the front ring) with SRAM RED eTap you’ll shift more, with less effort and spend less time doing it. Shifting has never been more intuitive or as easy as this.

SRAM RED eTap is engineered to go the distance. It has been rigorously and successfully tested for years at the professional and WorldTour level. And now, it’s ready for the rest of the world. Are you ready to shift forward?

SRAM RED eTap shift levers

ccs-62657-0-38587600-1440598127.jpg

Our revised ERGOFIT controls seamlessly connect rider and machine with REACHADJUST to fit any hand. Carbon ERGOBLADE levers and large SRAM eTap paddles provide positive controls for rider input that make it virtually impossible to mistake an upshift for a downshift. Weight: 260g per pair.

SRAM RED eTAP Rear Derailleur

The SRAM RED eTap rear derailleur executes shifts the moment you demand it, with military precision. Wirelessly. It’s easy to set up, clean in appearance and delightfully uncomplicated. Mechanical necessities such as a carbon pulley cage, ceramic pulley bearings, and high polished alloy artfully blend with proprietary electronic advancements to deliver a 239g* shifting wonder. *including battery
Maximum 28t cassette capacity.

SRAM RED eTAP Front Derailleur

SRAM YAWTM technology changed front shifting forever, eliminating the need for trim. The SRAM RED eTap Front Derailleur makes a good thing better by executing front shifts confidently and quickly over our proprietary wireless communication protocol. At 187g including battery, the SRAM RED eTap front derailleur maintains SRAM’s best-in-class weight title.

ccs-62657-0-67169400-1440598127.jpg
ccs-62657-0-83493700-1440598126.jpg

SRAM RED eTAP Blips

SRAM RED eTap Blip satellite shifters allow you to shift when you want, where you want. Run up to two remote positions per side with limitless placement options. When mated with the aero bike specific BlipBox control module, your aero machine’s gearing is as forward leaning as the rest of bike.

SRAM RED eTAP Blipbox

Aero riders can place Blips on both aero extensions and base bars for shifting in any position. This added capability saves precious seconds and offers a true competitive advantage. For this type of handlebar setup SRAM developed the BlipBox to tie all of the Blips together and serve as a control module and wireless signal sending unit.

Technologies

Airea (Area)

Utilizing 128-bit encryption, eTap shift signals are transmitted and received in accordance with SRAM’s proprietary wireless protocol known as AIREA. Each time an eTap groupset is paired, a new encryption code is generated and assigned to the components in this group to ensure complete shifting security.

eTap

All of the underlying tech in our new SRAM RED eTap groupset such as wireless shifting, advanced battery power management and mechatronic technologies are all meant to serve one ultimate purpose, to facilitate the most intuitive and consistent shifting available. This shift logic is called eTap. Right lever makes it harder, left lever makes it easier, both levers shift the front derailleur. Simple, unmistakable, and intuitive.

Blips

Drop bars exist to give riders multiple hand positions. SRAM RED eTap Blips turn each of those positions into a location that can be shifted from. With two Blip ports available on each drop bar shifter, multiple positions can be connected without any additional hardware. Easily placed underneath bar tape with no need to cut the tape to expose the switch, Blips maintain the beautiful lines of your cherished ride.

Blips are available in lengths of 150mm: 6g, 230mm: 7g, 450mm: 8g, 650mm: 9g

Compatibility

SRAM RED eTap brake levers and derailleurs are compatible will all SRAM 22 cranksets, chainrings, chains, mechanical brakes, and cassettes with a max cog size of 28-teeth.

Power Management

SRAM engineered intelligent, energy efficient wireless components. In addition to providing easy to understand LED power indication, sensors within each wireless component power up the component automatically when your ride starts, and enter sleep mode automatically at the end of your ride to extend available riding time between charges. Every component features LED power indication.

Yaw

SRAM’s proprietary Yaw front derailleur cage rotates to maintain a consistent angular relationship with the chain for ideal shifting performance in every gear combination.

Ease of charging

eTap batteries are literally a snap to remove and charge. Just flip the tool-free battery latch up and slide the battery up and out of the derailleur. Then snap the battery into the USB powered charger and connect the charger to any USB power source or A/C USB adaptor. A full charge takes only 45 minutes to complete.

ccs-62657-0-86859900-1440598101.jpgBattery pack.
ccs-62657-0-27895900-1440598113.jpgeTap Charger.

Devices (PC, Mac, Garmin)

Whether you are a Mac or PC user, SRAM RED eTap can communicate with your computer. Firmware updates are handled quickly and wirelessly using the USB stick included with complete aftermarket groupsets.

ccs-62657-0-70168900-1440598127.jpgSRAM USB stick.

We worked with Garmin throughout the development process to develop communication capability between eTap and Garmin GPS devices. Please contact Garmin for GPS model compatibility information.

ccs-62657-0-74316500-1440592124.jpg

SRAM RED component chart

ccs-62657-0-17490700-1440599630.png

ccs-62657-0-76705200-1440599639.png

ccs-62657-0-39442300-1440599655.png

Related posts

Comments

nonky

Aug 26, 2015, 3:29 PM

Yowzers - that's a lot of technical gobbledygook!

Mongoose!

Aug 26, 2015, 3:41 PM

Awesome, but really don't want to crash with these babies...

BMXER

Aug 26, 2015, 3:53 PM

Wireless charging would have sealed the deal. I love shimano but, Sram are ahead here with a great innovation.

raptor-22

Aug 26, 2015, 4:15 PM

Love the single action shifting concept.

Gandalf

Aug 26, 2015, 4:51 PM

thats a lot of randellas for shifting...

But i must give them credit, it does look very nice and neat

Starvin' Marvin

Aug 26, 2015, 4:55 PM

I'm not to sure if I'm keen on the left right shifting then using both levers to shift the FD, if I read it right. Why not keep it as is with double tap?

raptor-22

Aug 26, 2015, 5:56 PM

because that would be a constraint for future developments.

The shifting pattern now is as it is in passenger car semi auto gearboxes. The front shift is actually quite logical if you consider they if they make it redundant via a Sequential Ratio Actuation Map (or SRAM..................yes I thought of that all by myself) which works like Shimano's Syncro shift then there no extra hardware in the shifter.

those blips are perfect for mtb. No more shifters just two little buttons and I can even have two per side - one blip on the end of my bar end, the other in the usual shifter position and mirrored on the other side.

Heel Drop

Aug 26, 2015, 6:58 PM

I like I like - wonder how long before it will be on MTB?

Starvin' Marvin

Aug 26, 2015, 7:00 PM

The shifting pattern now is as it is in passenger car semi auto gearboxes. The front shift is actually quite logical if you consider they if they make it redundant via a Sequential Ratio Actuation Map (or SRAM..................yes I thought of that all by myself) which works like Shimano's Syncro shift then there no extra hardware in the shifter.

those blips are perfect for mtb. No more shifters just two little buttons and I can even have two per side - one blip on the end of my bar end, the other in the usual shifter position and mirrored on the other side.

Sharp

madbradd

Aug 26, 2015, 7:45 PM

You would need additional hardware for a "SRAM" system as currently this has no processor. Right button = shift rd right, left button = shift rd left. Easy so far. Remember the fd has received both these signals so far... but hasn't acted. Both buttons = fd change state and cancel each other on the rd. It's incredibly simple logic but as you can see there are simply 3 logic gates on the receivers, but no processor. And since only the rd is ant+ they would need to introduce a new fd unit to a) communicate with a controller or b) act as the controller. Either way its new hardware.

Don't get me wrong here.... I love the idea and the simplicity and how it will easily translate to mtb with a more powerful rd and a delocalised battery, but I think a "SRAM" or synchro shift solution is not possible without a separate processor.

Jaco-fiets

Aug 26, 2015, 7:47 PM

Sounds rather cheaper than the DA equivalent and much nicer too

raptor-22

Aug 26, 2015, 8:21 PM

You would need additional hardware for a "SRAM" system as currently this has no processor. Right button = shift rd right, left button = shift rd left. Easy so far. Remember the fd has received both these signals so far... but hasn't acted. Both buttons = fd change state and cancel each other on the rd. It's incredibly simple logic but as you can see there are simply 3 logic gates on the receivers, but no processor. And since only the rd is ant+ they would need to introduce a new fd unit to a) communicate with a controller or b) act as the controller. Either way its new hardware.

Don't get me wrong here.... I love the idea and the simplicity and how it will easily translate to mtb with a more powerful rd and a delocalised battery, but I think a "SRAM" or synchro shift solution is not possible without a separate processor.

The Processor as I currently understand is in the rear derailleur. It is a not a simple logic gate switching system from what I've read about it. Whether that processor has the capacity to handle more complex commands and positioning of the hardware we'll only know if someone buys one and strips out the brain for examination of the chips used.

Sharkie 2

Aug 27, 2015, 2:44 AM

Levi Leipheimer said on his FB page that he has been testing this system for a couple of years and that battery life is around 60 hours....which is roughly around 1800km or so, is Shimano not a lot more?

Rocket-Boy

Aug 27, 2015, 6:58 AM

Levi Leipheimer said on his FB page that he has been testing this system for a couple of years and that battery life is around 60 hours....which is roughly around 1800km or so, is Shimano not a lot more?

It shouldnt really make much difference when a full charge takes 45 mins.

Barend de Arend

Aug 27, 2015, 8:05 AM

The Processor as I currently understand is in the rear derailleur. It is a not a simple logic gate switching system from what I've read about it. Whether that processor has the capacity to handle more complex commands and positioning of the hardware we'll only know if someone buys one and strips out the brain for examination of the chips used.

Since it can handle firmware upgrades, it should be possible to change the commands.

Since it does encryption, it should be able to handle at least some more complicated commands.

Since it can't handle wi-fli, the motor is likely not strong enough to do too much.

Since I'm sceptical, I don't think they'll ever release spacing information: then upgrading to 12speed would be too cheap.

Barend de Arend

Aug 27, 2015, 8:16 AM

I like the charge time, and the interchangeable batteries.

I like that the batteries move to the charger, and not vice versa.

I like the look of the levers.

I like that it looks clean and simple and easy to install and setup.

I like that they added a button to change the front derailleur on the derailleur itself for mechanics.

I like the really positive click.

I'm sceptical about the front derailleur changes, since I normally tap the rear derailleur twice simultaneously.  I'd have to ride it to know if it's a real problem.

I'm sceptical about the battery attachment on really bumpy roads.  The rear derailleur should be ok, since it bounces, but the front?  I've lost too many lights due to bad plastic clips.

It's too expensive for me, so my opinion doesn't matter.

raptor-22

Aug 27, 2015, 8:28 AM

yeah its not wi-fli yet. SRAM not commenting on that but I suspect that it will be once the MTB components are announced

Spinnekop

Aug 27, 2015, 8:28 AM

I'm sceptical about the front derailleur changes, since I normally tap the rear derailleur twice simultaneously.  I'd have to ride it to know if it's a real problem.

I'm sceptical about the battery attachment on really bumpy roads.  The rear derailleur should be ok, since it bounces, but the front?  I've lost too many lights due to bad plastic clips.

I am almost certain SRAM has tested this in the field and labs for the past 5 years already.  They said they had 100 testers for 2 years riding the units on every terrain possible.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68cV00oRK1M

Pure Savage

Aug 27, 2015, 8:34 AM

Hmmmm....I dont think SRAM were paying attention here. What if you want to shift the front mech and rear mech at the same time, like at start of the climb or in a sprint.... Someone forgot to think this one through.

You have to first shift your rear mech, release, then tap both levers together.

Think DI2 is still has the edge with one shifter one mech. This system will by nice for social riders where shifting speed not important. 

Patchelicious

Aug 27, 2015, 8:40 AM

Hmmmm....I dont think SRAM were paying attention here. What if you want to shift the front mech and rear mech at the same time, like at start of the climb or in a sprint.... Someone forgot to think this one through.

You have to first shift your rear mech, release, then tap both levers together.

Think DI2 is still has the edge with one shifter one mech. This system will by nice for social riders where shifting speed not important. 

Agreed, but lets remember this is their first attement.

Shimano are now 3rd gen?

Also, no wires.... :) and as a person who has just gone through the process of trying to get a Mechanical and Di2 comaptible frame.... the idea of never having to worry about that again is very attractive.

Pure Savage

Aug 27, 2015, 8:47 AM

Agreed, but lets remember this is their first attement.

Shimano are now 3rd gen?

Also, no wires.... :) and as a person who has just gone through the process of trying to get a Mechanical and Di2 comaptible frame.... the idea of never having to worry about that again is very attractive.

To be honest, worrying about an electronic groupset is about 5 years away at least for me :P

By then everything will be wireless 14 gears at the back and one at the front and the brakes will be internal hub discs which you cannot see.

davem

Aug 27, 2015, 8:54 AM

In addition to the issue of not being able to change both front and rear simultaneously as many of us do, you also have to have both hands on the bars to change the FD.

SpOkeD

Aug 27, 2015, 9:09 AM

Yea sometimes I will change gears one handed while eating or drinking. Crazy that you have to do it simultaneously.

Patchelicious

Aug 27, 2015, 9:11 AM

To be honest, worrying about an electronic groupset is about 5 years away at least for me :P

By then everything will be wireless 14 16 gears at the back and one at the front and the brakes will be internal hub discs which you cannot see.

1 per year, just to keep us buying :)

Add a comment

You must log in to comment