Tech

Introducing the Edge 820 and Edge Explore 820

· By Press Office · 39 comments

Garmin today announced the Edge 820 and Edge Explore 820, lightweight and compact GPS cycling computers with comprehensive ride data, bike-specific navigation and the new GroupTrack feature. Riders can easily stay connected with family and friends, both in and out of the peloton, with the Edge 820 and Edge Explore 820’s numerous connected features including GroupTrack, which allows cyclists to easily keep tabs of everyone in their group should they get separated. To help create a safer riding environment, both devices are compatible with the Varia cycling awareness line and include built-in incident detection. They also feature built-in Garmin Cycle Map with points of interest, bike-friendly trails and more in a compact design optimized for riding in any conditions. For cyclists seeking additional in-depth data the Edge 820 offers advanced performance monitoring including VO2 max, recovery advisor, FTP and watts/kg tracking, performance condition, Strava Live Segments and advanced cycling dynamics.

ccs-62657-0-93942500-1468408626.jpgEdge 820.

“We are excited to share the newest additions to our extensive cycling line-up with our announcement of the innovative Edge 820 and Edge Explore 820,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice president of worldwide sales. “Whether riders are chasing performance and racing goals or out for adventure and touring, the Edge 820 and Edge Explore 820 offer a full suite of features to help track data that is important to them.”

With the Edge 820 and Edge Explore 820 riders can easily keep in touch with others in their pack. GroupTrack offers enhanced situational awareness by allowing cyclists to ride at their own pace while seeing where fellow riders are, so if one person falls out of sight, they don’t fall off the device’s map. Additional mapping features include preloaded Garmin Cycle Map for bike-specific turn-by-turn navigation, round-trip Course Creator and on-device course planning. Built-in GPS, GLONASS and altimeter provide accurate ride data so cyclists can know how far, fast and high they have ridden.

Pair the Edge 820 and Edge Explore 820 with the full-suite of Varia cycling awareness products including the Varia rearview radar, Varia Vision™ and Varia smart bike lights to help create a safer riding environment. Additionally, the devices’ integrated accelerometer for incident detection automatically sends a rider’s location message to emergency contacts if assistance is needed. The devices are also compatible with ANT+ sensors, including speed, cadence and heart rate.

The Edge 820 and Edge Explore 820 are ideal for riding no matter the weather conditions. Both devices feature a 2.3-inch high-resolution, capacitive touch display that is quick and responsive – even when wet or used with gloves – and the Edge 820’s ambient light sensor automatically adjusts the screen’s brightness so it’s easy to read at a glance even in direct sunlight.

The Edge 820 is compatible with ANT+ power meters, including Vector, the unique pedal-based power meter from Garmin that measures total power, left/right balance and cadence, and integrates with ANT+ electronic shifting systems and ANT+ bike trainers. Users can record advanced cycling dynamics to analyze their form, including where power is being applied on the pedal and throughout the pedal stroke. The Edge 820 also provides a variety of physiological data with the addition of a heart rate strap, so riders can view their cycling-specific VO2 max along with a recovery advisor, which analyzes their data and tells them how long they should wait before attempting another hard ride. Additional performance data includes FTP and watts/kg tracking, and in-ride challenges through Strava Live Segments.

ccs-62657-0-97434600-1468408627.jpgEdge Explore 820.

Connect IQ compatible, users can customize the Edge 820 and Edge Explore 820 by downloading free data fields. Users can also stay connected while out on a ride via incoming smart notifications, including incoming call and text alerts from a compatible smartphone5. Additional connected features include live tracking, social media sharing and automatic uploads to Garmin Connect Mobile, a free online fitness community that provides easy-to-understand charts, graphs and maps to let users view their activities, track progress and more.

The Edge 820 and Edge Explore 820 feature up to 15 hours of battery life. The new Battery Save mode will extend battery life up to 50 percent by enabling the rider to wake the display only when it is needed while still tracking the details of a ride.

The Edge 820 is available for a suggested retail price of $399.99, or $499.99 bundled with a speed sensor, cadence sensor and a premium heart rate monitor. The Edge Explore 820 is available for a suggested retail price of $349.99.

The ever-expanding Garmin fitness segment develops technologies to enhance and promote healthy and active lifestyles. Whether users are runners, cyclists, swimmers, multi-sport athletes, or simply looking to stay active throughout the day, there is a product that can help them reach their health and fitness goals.

Related posts

Comments

Bateleur1

Jul 13, 2016, 11:25 AM

It has my name on it. I am in the market soon for a new bike computer/hrm

shaper

Jul 13, 2016, 11:38 AM

hoping plenty of 520's now come up in the classifieds :ph34r:  

JA-Q001

Jul 13, 2016, 12:06 PM

Wonder about the pricing, but seeing the 520's price,  guess it will be around R 8000. ($ 500, works out to almost this)

428 others

Jul 13, 2016, 1:07 PM

Was waiting for this!

LOOK695

Jul 13, 2016, 3:23 PM

Looks nice. Good to see that it is touch screen. Easier to use while riding

Skott5

Jul 13, 2016, 3:33 PM

Why does it need a speed sensor ? 

Paul Ruinaard

Jul 13, 2016, 3:47 PM

I was waiting for this as well. I want one - when will they be available locally.

There is going to be a flood of 800's for sale...

Eon du Plessis

Jul 13, 2016, 4:06 PM

For indoor/low signal/better accuracy
Bateleur1

Jul 13, 2016, 8:13 PM

Was wondering the same.  Only explanation I have is for indoor training.

Christian van Zyl

Jul 14, 2016, 5:33 AM

Was wondering the same.  Only explanation I have is for indoor training.

Speed sensors is best for speed and virtual power algorithms on indoor trainers when you IDT does not have power or speed sensor. 

awesme

Jul 14, 2016, 5:41 AM

Got to comment, like the way he evaluates and writes, and a pretty easy guy to talk to also via email.

G

awesme

Jul 14, 2016, 5:43 AM

christian

What the experience of people pairing a hoo HR trap to both (BTLE)-> iPad and ANT+ to a Garmin, a the same time.

Need the BTLE to iPad for TR and ANT+ to Garmin for Discovery to recognise the activity.

G

Speed sensors is best for speed and virtual power algorithms on indoor trainers when you IDT does not have power or speed sensor. 

Johan A Marais

Jul 14, 2016, 8:40 AM

Yip, this is also on my "must have" list (Eish, such a long list already!).  Not available yet locally it seems, looked for one today.  When can we expect it in the shops?

Kannie meer wag nie meneer!

Popit

Jul 14, 2016, 8:59 AM

Just called Nav World to see if they have stock .

They don't even KNOW about this ......

Told me there is NO 820 , only an 810 ....

Eish

Bateleur1

Jul 14, 2016, 9:19 AM

Even the Garmin website is not updated yet.  This one is fresh out of the oven.  Suits me.  I still need to save a few pennies.

typhoon

Jul 14, 2016, 9:23 AM

christian

What the experience of people pairing a hoo HR trap to both (BTLE)-> iPad and ANT+ to a Garmin, a the same time.

Need the BTLE to iPad for TR and ANT+ to Garmin for Discovery to recognise the activity.

G

I've got a Wahoo TickR HR strap that I use with an app on my iPhone (BLE) and with my 520 ANT+.

Works no problem.

Spoke101

Jul 14, 2016, 10:19 AM

So nice :w00t:

Think my 810 might be up for sale!!!

scotty

Jul 14, 2016, 10:49 AM

When will it end, every few months a new model comes out, buy it only for a new model to appear with more functionality. Very costly to keep up to date. 

Spoke101

Jul 14, 2016, 12:25 PM

Wonder about the pricing, but seeing the 520's price,  guess it will be around R 8000. ($ 500, works out to almost this)

R9399 if priced the same as the current 810 but i reckon over 9.5k.

Mike Bike

Jul 14, 2016, 12:38 PM

So nice :w00t:

Think my 810 might be up for sale!!!

mine too!! 

Spinnekop

Jul 14, 2016, 1:20 PM

R9399 if priced the same as the current 810 but i reckon over 9.5k.

RRP sitting at $399

Thats about R5740 at the current.......

Bateleur1

Jul 14, 2016, 1:27 PM

RRP sitting at $399

Thats about R5740 at the current.......

Not sure what import duties and the agents will add but was wondering howcome the oaks get to that number.  I will wait to see the price in €.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment