Tech

Launch: 2016 Momsen VIPA TEAM, XT and new dual bottle cage adaptor

· By Matt · 22 comments

On Wednesday night Two Wheels Trading launched their 2016 product range at a dealer event in Johannesburg. The all-new Momsen VIPA Team issue and XT were among the items on display.

Although we’ve already taken a first look at the Vipa XT on screen, we hadn’t yet seen it in the flesh, nor had we seen the new colour way for the Team issue spec.

2016 Momsen Vipa Team

For 2016 Momsen have gone for some distinctive, bold designs across the whole range and, on the VIPAs in particular, have included many detailed touches to the finishes and accessories.

The new Momsen Vipa Team is a looker with it’s striking red, black and white design and mixture of matte and gloss finishes. The Team issue spec comes kitted with Shimano XTR 1×11, XTR brakes and Fox Float Factory suspension on Stan’s No Tubes ZTR Crest hoops.

As with the VIPA XT (and AC models), the Team version features a map of the Baakens Valley trail in Port Elizabeth. The trails in and around PE hold a special place in the VIPA heritage being the primary testing grounds for the bikes.

Momsen Vipa Team 2016-2.jpg

Momsen Vipa Team 2016-1.jpg
Momsen Vipa Team 2016-5.jpg
Momsen Vipa Team 2016-10.jpg
Momsen Vipa Team 2016-11.jpg
Momsen Vipa Team 2016-18.jpg
Momsen Vipa Team 2016-4.jpg
Momsen Vipa Team 2016-8.jpg
Momsen VIPA TEAM -21.jpg
Momsen VIPA TEAM -20.jpg

2016 Momsen Vipa XT

Having already seen a preview of the new Momsen VIPA XT it will be less of a surprise to many. If you didn’t catch the preview take a look at the studio shots and full specs for the VIPA XT in the article here.

The 2016 Momsen VIPA XT stays with same component selection as before in form of a full Shimano XT group set, Fox Float suspension and Stan’s No Tubes ZTR Crest wheels, but with significant updates coming through from Shimano XT with their new M8000 11 speed series and Fox’s much improved FIT4 damper in the new Float 32.

Momsen Vipa XT 2016-3.jpg

Momsen Vipa XT 2016-7.jpg
Momsen Vipa XT 2016-1.jpg
Momsen Vipa XT 2016-5.jpg
Momsen Vipa XT 2016-6.jpg
Momsen Vipa XT 2016-8.jpg

Momsen VIPA XT-10.jpg

Momsen VIPA XT -27.jpg
Momsen VIPA XT -28.jpg

Take a look at our preview of the 2016 Momsen VIPA XT for more detailed images and specs.

Custom Bottle Cage Adaptor, Cages and Bottles

Dual bottle adaptor

The stand-out feature on the 2016 VIPA range will certainly be the custom bottle cage adaptor which allows you to run two bottles comfortably in the front triangle. The adaptor itself has gone through three revisions to find the Goldilocks like “just-right” balance of weight and flex.

It’s a simple and effective solution to the two bottle problem which doesn’t compromise on the frame design, aesthetics or standover height.

You’ll be able to comfortably fit two 600ml bottles / 1.2L in a Medium frame and depending on the rear shock fitted might have space for 1 800ml bottle / 1.4L based on the. (A remote Fox shock takes up a bit more space than a remote RockShox Monarch which allows for a taller bottle.)

Momsen VIPA TEAM -25.jpgLeft: Generation 1 was a beefy prototype. Right: Generation 2 was visibly slimmed down, but in the real world the weight shedding led to too much flex when removing bottles.
Momsen Vipa Team 2016-3.jpgAbove: Generation 3 found a happy medium between the two, keeping weight at a minimum, while maintaining stiffness.

Custom Carbon Cages

Momsen Vipa Team 2016-14.jpg

Momsen Vipa XT 2016-4.jpg
Momsen VIPA TEAM -26.jpg

Along with the adaptor are some great looking, super light carbon bottle cages. The cages feature a side entry system allowing for easier access on cramped frames and come in a left or right entry option to suit your preference.

These will be available in black and white versions from September 2015.

Approx. retail price: R 450.00 incl. VAT

Custom Bottles

Momsen also introduced a new bottle range which feature a specifically shaped groove at the top of the bottles to fit their cages perfectly. The tailored fit means less chance of a lost bottle mid-trail, even if seatpost mounted. It’s a small, but no doubt useful touch for those who’ve ever hassled with bottle cage / bottle compatibility.

Momsen VIPA Bottle -28.jpg

Indicative Pricing & Availability:

Both prices are dependant on exchange rates, but these should give you an idea.

2016 Momsen VIPA XT
Price: Similar to 2015 prices (The 2015 VIPA XT retailed at R 55,000.00 incl. VAT)
Availability: Now – already available via authorised dealers. See all the Authorised Momsen dealers on their site.

2016 Momsen VIPA Team
Price: Approx. R 75,000.00 incl. VAT
Availability: November 2015 via authorised dealers.

Comments

gummibear

Aug 13, 2015, 3:07 PM

Damn....that looks damn fine :thumbup:  :clap:  :drool:

rock

Aug 13, 2015, 3:12 PM

these guys want to know where is the Trail version?

http://thoughtsfromthedarkness.weebly.com/uploads/2/1/5/9/21595964/9020541_orig.jpg

Iwan Kemp

Aug 13, 2015, 3:13 PM

these guys want to know where is the Trail version?

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/1c/1c71adbb57666dcdd74506bee55e05fe741fadd3341c7acdff8fd032ed6d48e9.jpg

rock

Aug 13, 2015, 5:15 PM

just notices no momsen designs carbon downer stem on the team model?

raptor-22

Aug 13, 2015, 5:21 PM

nice idea to mount the second bottle cage on a carrier that places it out from under the lower link anchor on the frame.

I do so wish more manufacturers would provide fittings for two bottle cages within the main triangle.

PS: And I'm glad to see they sensibly kept the cable housings outside the frame where its easy to access for service

Benjamin

Aug 13, 2015, 5:49 PM

Yoh, that team is a fine looking thing. Quanto costa? ( ballpark )

Clinton H

Aug 13, 2015, 6:50 PM

All that R/D and fancy colurs and they couldn't design a neat little cover for the front derailers direct mount on the team bike . Seriously ???

DJuice

Aug 13, 2015, 7:36 PM

All that R/D and fancy colurs and they couldn't design a neat little cover for the front derailers direct mount on the team bike . Seriously ???

There is a cover advertised on their site as coming soon.

Pieterlab1

Aug 14, 2015, 8:19 AM

Someone tweeted a black and red dual sus bike from the launch, I'll check if I can find the pic. Which one is it and how much is it? It looks absolutely incredible!

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Aug 14, 2015, 8:24 AM

Someone tweeted a black and red dual sus bike from the launch, I'll check if I can find the pic. Which one is it and how much is it? It looks absolutely incredible!

Team

Monark

Aug 14, 2015, 8:26 AM

looking at the spec, I think that the price will be in the 80k range... very sexy looking bike

cbdcaffie

Aug 14, 2015, 8:50 AM

Interestingly I see that the guys from Morewood were at the launch.....

Perhaps a new synergy in the making?

Pieterlab1

Aug 14, 2015, 9:14 AM

Team

Thanks! I wonder what the price will be more or less. Looks like a great bike.

Matt

Aug 14, 2015, 9:42 AM

In case you didn't see the full article here are more pics of the team: https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/gear-news/launch-2016-momsen-vipa-team-xt-and-new-dual-bottle-cage-adaptor-r3294

We're awaiting pricing on both models and will update here as soon as that is available.

Pipsqueak

Aug 14, 2015, 12:36 PM

I think Patrick (Pyga) designed the suspension linkage...?

Matt

Aug 14, 2015, 12:45 PM

The article has been updated with indicative pricing: https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/gear-news/launch-2016-momsen-vipa-team-xt-and-new-dual-bottle-cage-adaptor-r3294

Both prices are dependant on exchange rates, but these should give you an idea.

2016 Momsen VIPA XT

Price: Similar to 2015 prices (The 2015 VIPA XT launched at R 55,000.00 incl. VAT)

Availability: Now - already available via authorised dealers. See all the Authorised Momsen dealers on their site.

2016 Momsen VIPA Team

Price: Approx. R 75,000.00 incl. VAT

Availability: November 2015 via authorised dealers.

Pieterlab1

Aug 14, 2015, 2:49 PM

Thanks! Pricing looks good!

Brett

Aug 14, 2015, 4:27 PM

The team colours looks so damn hot!

PeterF

Aug 16, 2015, 3:52 PM

The VIPA is a collaboration between VIctor Momsen and PAtrick Morewood.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Aug 27, 2015, 11:43 AM

Okay, to the haters of the colour on the XT edition. Saw one of them at Bloemendal yesterday, and it looks positively gorgeous. 

The colours work. Gave it a good look, and it looks superb. 

LarryMTB

Aug 30, 2015, 6:53 PM

Don't want mine in any other colour. Can't wait for the bottle cage adaptor end of September...

shaper

Aug 30, 2015, 7:02 PM

Saw one at Solomans Woodmead, colour is much better in real life

Add a comment

You must log in to comment