Tech

Lyne Components Launches Carbon Wheelsets

Supplied by Lyne Components. Photos by Ewald Sadie.

· By Press Office · 37 comments

Press release

Taking the plunge into the world of carbon wheels is a big step for us, so we approached this project with caution and set no specific launch date for the product, deciding rather to launch them when we felt they were ready. We tested for over a year and a tried different carbon layups until we were happy with what we feel is the right mix of weight, stiffness and most importantly, durability.

We had quite a range of riders doing product testing for us, from 60kg high school XCO racers to 100kg+ shredders that are known to eat wheels for breakfast. By using a range of different riders and disciplines we could accelerate the testing process and fine tune the product using the rider feedback we received.

What we decided to focus on with this project is durability that is adequate per discipline. There are certainly lighter wheels out there than what we are offering, but we decided to focus on offering a product that will reliably get you to the finish line.

ccs-62657-0-25670200-1602078309.jpg
ccs-62657-0-49269600-1602078308.jpg

Pulse Carbon Wheelset

The Pulse carbon wheelset uses a wide hookless profile laced to our lightweight JB01 hubs. The result is a stiff & fast, race ready wheelset.

ccs-62657-0-90678600-1602078447.jpg
ccs-62657-0-28386500-1602080534.jpg

Pulse Carbon Rim Profile

ccs-62657-0-42871300-1602077660.jpg

The wide internal width of 29mm sets a stable base for your tyres. This helps combat sideward forces that would typically cause tyre roll and burping. Predictability is key when pushing tyres to their limits and having a stable predictable wheelset makes all the difference.

The hookless profile holds the tyre securely and makes tubeless inflation a super easy process.

ccs-62657-0-37044600-1602077659.jpg

Weight is key when offering equipment that is made for racing. Our XC/Marathon layup results in a rim weight of 390g. This is the perfect middle ground between efficiency and durability. Finish the race- first!

The Pulse Carbon rim design is asymmetric. This results in a more even spoke bracing angle which increases wheel stability and overall stiffness. The spokes are also more evenly loaded which increases spoke durability.

ccs-62657-0-19178200-1602077919.jpg

Specifications:

Pulse Carbon Wheelset 29”
Intended Use: Marathon, Cross Country
Internal Width: 29mm
External Width: 35mm
Rim Weight: 390g
Weight: Small Bearing Hub +-1490g (+90g for large bearing hubs)
ETRTO: 622mm
ERD: 589mm
Rim Material: Toray T700 carbon
Spoke Count: 28
Spoke Type: Pillar PSR TB 2016
Nipple: Alloy Double Square 2mm
Hub: Lyne JB01 Boost, F: 15X110mm, R: 12X148mm
Free Hub: Shimano HG/Shimano Microspline/XD options, 30 Point (12°) Engagement
Rider Weight Limit: Under 100kg
5 year crash replacement
5 year warranty

Price: R14,999 Available Online

AMP Carbon Wheelset

The AMP Carbon wheelset has been fine tuned to meet the demands of modern trail & enduro riders. The rim profile features a super wide inner and outer width resulting in a stable and durable ride. These wheels come standard with our High Engagement hubs, which offer reliability, fast engagement and a great sound when freewheeling.

ccs-62657-0-11176400-1602078587.jpg
ccs-62657-0-20744900-1602080533.jpg

AMP Carbon Rim Profile

ccs-62657-0-79080600-1602078626.jpg

The wide internal width of 30,5mm sets a stable base for your tyres. This helps combat sideward forces that would typically cause tyre roll and burping.

Predictability is key when pushing tyres to their limits and having a stable predictable wheelset makes all the difference. The hook- less profile holds the tyre securely and makes tubeless inflation a super easy process.

ccs-62657-0-93249900-1602078627.jpg

The AMP Carbon rim features an ultra wide external width making the bead wall of the rim thicker and more durable. This area is usually the first point of impact when encountering rim strikes and is typically where carbon rims fail. By widening this area there is more material present which results in a more sturdy impact surface.

These rims are asymmetric. This results in a more even spoke bracing angle which increases wheel stability and overall stiff- ness. The spokes are also more evenly loaded which increases spoke durability.

ccs-62657-0-38693500-1602078743.jpg

Specifications:

AMP Carbon Wheelset 29”
Intended Use: Trail & Enduro
Internal Width: 30,5mm
External Width: 38,5mm
Rim Weight: 450g
Wheelset Weight: JB02HE 1798g; JB03HE 1815g
ETRTO: 622mm
ERD: 583mm
Rim Material: Toray T700 carbon
Spoke Count: 32
Spoke Type: Pillar PSR TB 2016
Nipple: Brass Double Square 2mm
Front Hub: Lyne JB02HE Boost 15X110mm
Rear Hub: Lyne JB02HE/JB03HE Boost 12X148mm
Free Hub: Shimano HG/Shimano Microspline/XD options, 150 Point (2.4°) Engagement
Rider Weight Limit: Under 120kg
5 year crash replacement
5 year warranty

Price: R15,999 Available Online

Related posts

Comments

Grease_Monkey

Oct 8, 2020, 4:37 AM

Yes! :D The AMP carbon will definitely be my next wheelset. Well done Lyne!

DR ◣◢

Oct 8, 2020, 5:07 AM

There we go spending more money this month I guess.

The carbon Amp looks superb. Hope you can purchase the rims only down the line.

keithbe

Oct 8, 2020, 5:28 AM

"5 year crash replacement

5 year warranty"

Pretty damn amazing!

I can vouch for to JB03 hub - brilliant!

greg_sa

Oct 8, 2020, 5:49 AM

Awesome... I wonder if they will cater for 27.5 :ph34r:

Chadvdw67

Oct 8, 2020, 6:06 AM

Was super stoked when I got that mail this morning, then I went and had a look at the pricing etc, flippen awesome pricing and no doubt they will be great wheels, but just can't help but wonder if the R3k extra for South Industries wheels, that come with a lifetime crash replacement warranty, and laced to DT Swiss hubs is not maybe a better investment? Lots and LOTS of pondering for me to do in the next month or 2....

Hilton.

Oct 8, 2020, 6:42 AM

The Pulse carbon looks spot on for XC / marathon / trail use. 29mm internal is right on the money, as is the sub 1500g weight. Chapeau!
Wish I had the money for a pair of these. :)

This is brilliant, well done Dayle!

gummibear

Oct 8, 2020, 8:02 AM

Really like those AMP wheels.

Stevief

Oct 8, 2020, 10:11 AM

Bought the Amps 3 weeks ago .  They are very very nice.  The hubs great and the wheels have stood up to quite a beating so far.  My first ever set of carbon hoops but BS aside i can feel they just roll better especialy out of corners.  the acceleartion is markedly differrent to ALu.

greg_sa

Oct 8, 2020, 10:39 AM

Bought the Amps 3 weeks ago .  They are very very nice.  The hubs great and the wheels have stood up to quite a beating so far.  My first ever set of carbon hoops but BS aside i can feel they just roll better especialy out of corners.  the acceleartion is markedly differrent to ALu.

Interesting... What wheels did you have previously(same weight)? And you running the exact same tires?

Chadvdw67

Oct 9, 2020, 3:49 AM

There we go spending more money this month I guess.

The carbon Amp looks superb. Hope you can purchase the rims only down the line.

Seems rims are available separately at R5899 each

BaGearA

Oct 9, 2020, 4:11 AM

R5899 PER RIM?

get reserves

DR ◣◢

Oct 9, 2020, 6:06 AM

Thanks. Makes more sense buying the complete wheels then and selling my existing AMP wheel set.

Meezo

Oct 9, 2020, 6:15 AM

R5899 PER RIM?

get reserves

?

what does a reserve cost per rim?

and the warranty with them, is the T&C's not that it has to be "built" "maintained" by rushsports or one of its listed dealers?

Alpine Sports Coaching

Oct 9, 2020, 6:20 AM

?

what does a reserve cost per rim?

and the warranty with them, is the T&C's not that it has to be "built" "maintained" by rushsports or one of its listed dealers?

Rushsports?

Meezo

Oct 9, 2020, 6:26 AM

Rushsports?

Rush Sports - About Us

Rush Sports is a focused and fast growing distributor of cycling products in Southern Africa. Founded in 2005, Rush Sports has grown from humble beginnings under the leadership of young Chief Operating Officer, Andre van Aarde. Since 2015, Rush Sports has attracted experience and capital to support rapid and sustained growth. Building on the experience of the company Chief Executive Officer, Brandon Els, the company now boasts integrated reporting systems, a dynamic product, sales, marketing and management team, a highly supportive and engaged customer base, and lists over 3000 SKU’s from leading brands such as: Santa Cruz, Maxxis, Enduro, CycloPlus and more.

Stevief

Oct 9, 2020, 6:29 AM

Interesting... What wheels did you have previously(same weight)? And you running the exact same tires?

I had the bontragers pro elite 30 .  The weight is similair probably about 100g heavier.  Tyres are the same.

greg_sa

Oct 9, 2020, 6:44 AM

I had the bontragers pro elite 30 .  The weight is similair probably about 100g heavier.  Tyres are the same.

Cool. I suppose it is something you need to feel then. I've never understood the appeal of carbon, but I suppose there must be something...

Stevief

Oct 9, 2020, 6:59 AM

Cool. I suppose it is something you need to feel then. I've never understood the appeal of carbon, but I suppose there must be something...

Its is strange and hard to explain the difference.  They just make the bike feel more poppy more responsive. 

Alpine Sports Coaching

Oct 9, 2020, 7:01 AM

Rushsports?

Rush Sports - About Us

Rush Sports is a focused and fast growing distributor of cycling products in Southern Africa. Founded in 2005, Rush Sports has grown from humble beginnings under the leadership of young Chief Operating Officer, Andre van Aarde. Since 2015, Rush Sports has attracted experience and capital to support rapid and sustained growth. Building on the experience of the company Chief Executive Officer, Brandon Els, the company now boasts integrated reporting systems, a dynamic product, sales, marketing and management team, a highly supportive and engaged customer base, and lists over 3000 SKU’s from leading brands such as: Santa Cruz, Maxxis, Enduro, CycloPlus and more.

Meaning what does Rush Sports have to do with Lyne Components?

Meezo

Oct 9, 2020, 8:29 AM

Meaning what does Rush Sports have to do with Lyne Components?

O.

it was to an answer to the statement, rather get Reserve's (Santa Cruz carbon wheels)

Spafsack

Oct 9, 2020, 9:10 AM

If you take entry level wheel sets, like the ones that came on my wifes silverback stratos al5, they called sunrace i think, how much lighter will the Amps be? I understand its overkill, but surely it helps with rolling resistance as well? 

DieselnDust

Oct 9, 2020, 9:23 AM

These be rather pricey rims. I'd go SC reserves too and then choose my own hubs and spokes all built by my favourite wheelbuilder

babse

Oct 9, 2020, 10:10 AM

These be rather pricey rims. I'd go SC reserves too and then choose my own hubs and spokes all built by my favourite wheelbuilder

Keen to see how much that'll set you back...
Jewbacca

Oct 9, 2020, 10:26 AM

A brand new set of well thought out carbon wheels for 15/16k WITH amazing local service?

It's a no brainer. 

Price point, after sales service and support, great product at that cost is pretty unheard of.

Well done Dayle and co. 

If you would rather spend twice as much on SC with Rush, cool. But let's not derail the thread with negativity. I think this is a great value add to their range and opens up an upper tier market for them.

Pretty impressive for a small local company to bring this out so soon after the stresses of lockdown, financial ruin and being screwed by customs for so long.

I hope these sell like hot cakes and the cash flow allows Lyne to develop more rad products for us

Add a comment

You must log in to comment