Momsen introduce the VIPA TRAIL

It’s time. Riding styles and preferences are ever evolving and progressing. The all-new VIPA TRAIL with 120mm of supple, efficient and comfortable travel is the bike that not only heralds the change but also embraces the needs of those who love the DOWNS as much as the UPS. A bike that is just as comfortable at the sharp end of a Stage Race or Marathon event as it is railing berms or jumping drops on your gnarlier home trails. A bike that makes you feel younger and faster no matter the terrain!

VIPA TRAIL1920X1080 72dpi opt 3.jpeg
The VIPA TRAIL shot on location at the new Momsen Bikes Head Office in the Baakens Valley, Port Elizabeth.

Frame Features

• Full Carbon Front and Rear Triangles 120mm Rear Wheel Travel Boost 148 Rear. We’ve left no stone unturned with our latest offering.
  • Signature Low Leverage Design (not dissimilar to our current VIPA RACE models )
  • Monocoque Front Triangle with Internal Cable Routing (various cable routing options and covers provided)
  • Carbon Seatstays and Chainstays with Boost 148 x 12 mm rear end
  • Designed for both 2x and 1x Drivetrain Options
  • Optional Internal Shimano Di2 Battery holder – allowing for enclosed battery fitment whilst still allowing Dropper Seatpost compatibility
  • Available in 4 frame sizes – S, M, L, XL (to start sizes will be limited to M, L, XL)
  • Internal Cable Routing for Dropper Seatpost
  • Seatpost Diameter : 31.6mm
  • Bottom Bracket : Pressfit 92mm
VIPA Trail Logo - black.jpg

Your weapon of choice

Available as a Rolling Chassis for 2017 we are offering the new Full Carbon 120mm travel model with a choice of Standard Build or an upgraded Premium Build. The Rolling Chassis consists of VIPA TRAIL Carbon Frame + Rear Shock + Wheelset + Suspension Fork. Each option has been carefully selected to compliment the frame and intended usage.

VIPA Trail side - black.jpg

VIPA Trail Tight Front - black.jpg

VIPA Trail underneath -black.jpg

Standard Build:
  • Fox Float DPS Performance Shock
  • Stan’s ZTR Arch S1 Wheelset
  • RockShox Revelation RL 120mm
  • R 45,000 incl VAT
Premium Build:
  • Fox Float DPS Factory Shock
  • Stan’s ZTR Arch Mk3 Wheelset
  • RockShox Pike RCT3 120mm
  • R 52,500 incl VAT

Fork

Designed around a 120mm travel front fork with BOOST spacing we have opted for the following fork options:
  • Standard Build: RockShox Revelation RL, 120mm, 51mm Offset, 15 x 110 Boost Lowers
  • Premium Build: RockShox Pike RCT3, 120mm, 51mm Offset, 15 x 110 Boost Lowers
Note: maximum suggested travel is 130mm to ensure intended handling and ride characteristics

VIPA TRAIL1920X1080 72dpi.jpeg

Rear Shock

We have worked with Fox Racing Shox to offer 2 options of rear shock that have both been custom tuned for this frame. The emphasis was placed on a rear shock that was able to be plush during longer events but still offer the popular firm lockout option for long climbs and extended gravel sections.
  • Standard Build: Fox Float DPS, Performance Series, Evol SV, 3 Position, Firm Lockout, 190mm Eye to Eye
  • Premium Build: Fox Float DPS, Factory Series, Kashima, Evol SV, 3 Position, Firm Lockout, 190mm Eye to Eye
VIPA Trail Shock and Linkage - black.jpg

Wheelset

Recognizing that riders wanting the versatility that this bike can offer needed a wheelset that was both light and stiff whilst still durable and wide enough for modern tyre choices we only really had 1 choice of wheel brand – Stan’s No Tubes!
  • Standard Build: ZTR Arch S1, Neo Hubs, 32H, Boost 110 x 15 Front, Boost 148 x 12 Rear
  • Premium Build: ZTR Arch Mk3, Neo Hubs, 32H, Boost 110 x 15 Front, Boost 148 x 12 Rear
Suggested “Wide Right” Tyre Size: 29 x 2.25 to 2.5 Width

Geometry

Momsen Trail Vipa Geometry.jpg

Availability

The first shipment is expected to arrive next week with limited stock.

In 2017, the Vipa Trail will only be available as a rolling chassis (frame, shock, fork, and wheelset).

VIPA Trail Warehouse 2.jpg

35 Comments

nox1111, Apr 03 2017 10:58

Great looking frame with beautiful attention to detail. The Pike version for the win - but I would rather go up to 130 on the front matched to the 120 rear. The 120 rear seems enough for some serious trails, where 120 up front would be the stumble block imo.

Odinson, Apr 03 2017 11:01

Well done, Momsen!

Really a tidy looking bike.

The reach is a bit short across the sizes though.

BaGearA, Apr 03 2017 11:02

Why oh why A press fit BB.   I fully agree with Nox ^^

Are there plans for A 650b ?

Hairy, Apr 03 2017 11:13

Can't believe it ... a Momsen with a classy paint job!

Really like to the look and geo numbers on this bike .... looks like a great all rounder for the SA market!

RE the BB .... PF 92 is at least better than PF 30!

Odinson, Apr 03 2017 11:21

Great looking frame with beautiful attention to detail. The Pike version for the win - but I would rather go up to 130 on the front matched to the 120 rear. The 120 rear seems enough for some serious trails, where 120 up front would be the stumble block imo.

130mm with an offset headset to knock a degree off the HTA.

Headshot, Apr 03 2017 11:35

Nice looking bike. The similarities with a Spaz are real. Frame design at the shock and the "FSR" linkage in the chainstay meaning the end of the Morewood mono-pivot suspension design.

Reach numbers are too conservative for my liking. They are still thinking long stems unfortunately. Agree on the 130mm up front - would make the bike that much more of a beast on the descents 

pellieg, Apr 03 2017 11:39

Yip .... found the N+1  

BuffsVintageBikes, Apr 03 2017 11:43

Schweet looking ride

xero7, Apr 03 2017 11:44

wow nearly thought i saw a spez

stefmeister, Apr 03 2017 12:10

wow nearly thought i saw a spez

The resemblance is uncanny. Must have a huge boner for spez.

RiverInTheRoad, Apr 03 2017 12:10

Nice Camber Momsen

funnyman, Apr 03 2017 12:13

Must agree... really good looking trail bike, and pretty decent price, unlike most SA brands that are overpriced for our market. Where can my girlfriend test ride one??

Grease_Monkey, Apr 03 2017 12:24

I really think you guys knocked it out the park with this bike. I am very keen to test it out at some point!!

nox1111, Apr 03 2017 12:26

Pressfit is just a terrible idea on any bike.  I rode my threaded BB on my previous bike until the bearings collapsed and never had an issue. Rode my pressift for 500km and was welcomed to creak city.

stefmeister, Apr 03 2017 12:42

Pressfit is just a terrible idea on any bike.  I rode my threaded BB on my previous bike until the bearings collapsed and never had an issue. Rode my pressift for 500km and was welcomed to creak city.

Replaced 2 PF30s in as little 2000km. Replaced my last one with this - has been rock solid so far.

pf30-thd-abec3-blk_2.jpg

NicoBoshoff, Apr 03 2017 12:48

So add another R20k for drivetrain, brakes, rubber, cockpit and dropper. R70k for a Momsen or R70k for a carbon Jeffsy or Carbon Stumpy?  Hmmmm

It's nice, but it's missed the ship I'm afraid.  

Headshot, Apr 03 2017 01:51

So add another R20k for drivetrain, brakes, rubber, cockpit and dropper. R70k for a Momsen or R70k for a carbon Jeffsy or Carbon Stumpy?  Hmmmm

Agreed, but if you have all that stuff from your old bike and swap it out, it could be far cheaper...

The Bike & Brew, Apr 03 2017 02:20

yes and no. this bike is more Camber than Stumpy? and has Boost 148 whilst Camber is still 2015 style 142 x 12. And Camber Expert is R79k with Alloy Rear End? this frame is full carbon front and rear and probably % a fair bit lighter than an Alloy/Carbon Camber?

stefmeister, Apr 03 2017 02:41

yes and no. this bike is more Camber than Stumpy? and has Boost 148 whilst Camber is still 2015 style 142 x 12. And Camber Expert is R79k with Alloy Rear End? this frame is full carbon front and rear and probably % a fair bit lighter than an Alloy/Carbon Camber?

I think it'd be better to look at overall spec and geometry than worry about something like boost which 97.367% of riders will never notice the difference.

This bike's sizing seems off and geometry seems dated already. @405mm reach for a size M is way too small even for midget like me @1.73m. I'd have to ride a large, but with a seat tube @483mm I won't even be able to run a 100mm dropper post.

James29, Apr 03 2017 03:30

Everyones going on about parts and pricing but just look at the geometry, looks like the bike is made for ants

Rocket-Boy, Apr 03 2017 03:41

Why oh why A press fit BB.   I fully agree with Nox ^^

Are there plans for A 650b ?

I read pressfit BB and then lost most interest, my next bike definitely will be threaded, even if that limits my options.

splat, Apr 03 2017 03:49

Was loving this until I saw the reach measurement on the geometry table.

Odinson, Apr 03 2017 03:49

The Specialized Camber's (Carbon) reach figures in comparison.

Reach

S 399mm

M 425mm

L 454mm

XL 475mm

I don't get why they created a bike with such short reach.

deonkretch, Apr 03 2017 07:17

Think this is going to be one of those bikes where all the techies b1tch about the numbers until they take the bike for a spin.

But hey, I don't really care about the numbers... is it pretty, yes. Does it ride well, don't know yet - but really hope so :-)

In any case, well done on a good looking Momsen!

The Bike & Brew, Apr 03 2017 08:23

I think it'd be better to look at overall spec and geometry than worry about something like boost which 97.367% of riders will never notice the difference.

This bike's sizing seems off and geometry seems dated already. @405mm reach for a size M is way too small even for midget like me @1.73m. I'd have to ride a large, but with a seat tube @483mm I won't even be able to run a 100mm dropper post.

Reach is just that ... Reach - there are more things to modern frame design that just how much reach a frame has. Consider the head tube angle which is 67.8 deg vs the 68.5 to 69 territory of some other frames and imagine you had a shorter wheelbase which complimented the slacker head angle and allowed for a fast and stable bike ... reach can be adjusted with stem length, wheelbase ... not so easy to adjust ... oh, and all the bikes have 51mm offset forks instead of the 2013 style 46mm forks found on others ... geometry is complex at best, ride one - you just might want to go offcamber : ) alot more!