Tech

New Garmin Edge 520: First GPS Bike Computer with Strava Live Segments

· By Press Office · 35 comments

Garmin International Inc. today announced the Edge 520, the first GPS bike computer with Strava Live Segments. The Edge 520 boasts a myriad of advanced analysis features including time in zone, functional threshold power, cycling-specific VO2 max and recovery time, indoor trainer support, cycling dynamics and in-ride segments through Strava and Garmin Connect. Additional connected features and a high-resolution, color display offer cyclists a complete package of cutting-edge features in a compact, lightweight device.

“We’re excited to announce the Edge 520 and our strategic relationship with Strava – providing cyclists with the first GPS bike computer to have Strava Live Segments,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice president of worldwide sales. “The Edge 520 taps into cyclists competitive edge and offers them the latest in innovative training tools.”

ccs-62657-0-27803900-1435749096.jpg

Live Segments and Advanced Metrics

Garmin Edge products are the only GPS bike computers to feature Strava Live Segments. As the first GPS bike computer with Strava Live Segments, users can upload segments directly from Strava to their Edge 520 to receive instantaneous data, compete for King of the Mountain or Queen of the Mountain titles, and improve their personal bests. Additionally, the Edge 1000, Edge 810 and Edge 510 will add support for Strava Live Segments via a software update in Q3.

Users can also tap into their competitive edge with in-ride challenges through Garmin Connect segments. The Edge 520 provides new advanced performance and power analysis to maximize training efforts. Advanced metrics include time in zone, functional threshold power and watts/kg tracking, cycling-specific VO2 max estimate, a recovery advisor and cycling dynamics – revolutionary metrics that provide feedback to cyclists on their position and pedal form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eua9CDTOeyw

Exceptional Display and Connected Features

The Edge 520’s aerodynamic design features a high-resolution, 2.3” color display, providing ideal visibility. With up to 15 hours of battery life and compatibility with GPS and GLONASS satellites, it is built to handle endurance rides. The Edge 520 integrates with compatible Shimano Di2 electronic shifting systems and standard ANT+ sensors including power meters, heart rate monitors, speed and cadence sensors, the newly announced Varia™ line of smart cycling devices, remotes and VIRB. Additionally it pairs with compatible ANT+ indoor trainers for data display and control.

When paired with a compatible Bluetooth device the Edge 520 can instantly upload activities to Garmin Connect for post-ride analysis, instant sharing on social media, and with the Live Tracking feature users can allow family and friends to follow their rides in real time. Users can also stay connected with family and friends during a ride with the Edge 520’s smart notifications that display incoming texts, calls and more. In Garmin Connect users can download courses and follow them on the device, receiving turn indications throughout a ride, and compete against other cyclists on previously ridden courses. Edge 520 users can upload to Garmin Connect and download courses and segments via a PC or Mac.

The Edge 520 is expected to begin shipping in Q3 and has a suggested retail price of $299.99 and $399.99 bundled with a heart rate monitor, cadence sensor and speed sensor. It will be the on-bike device used by Team Cannondale-Garmin during races beginning in July.

Related posts

Comments

Spinnekop

Jul 1, 2015, 11:13 AM

Garmin International Inc. today announced the Edge 520, the first GPS bike computer with Strava Live Segments. The Edge 520 boasts a myriad of advanced analysis features including time in zone, functional threshold power, cycling-specific VO2 max and recovery time, indoor trainer support, cycling dynamics and in-ride segments through Strava and Garmin Connect. Additional connected features and a high-resolution, color display offer cyclists a complete package of cutting-edge features in a compact, lightweight device.

Click here to view the article

Pure Savage

Jul 1, 2015, 11:16 AM

BUILT IN STRAVA!!!!

dirtypot

Jul 1, 2015, 11:22 AM

I want this one more than the 25 from last week!

rock

Jul 1, 2015, 11:23 AM

I foresee an increase in the number of stravassholes for sure.

clever though.

shaper

Jul 1, 2015, 11:24 AM

I want this one more than the 25 from last week!

Next week garmin are bound to have another new device that you will want more than this one... seems they are releasing new products on a weekly basis

Pure Savage

Jul 1, 2015, 11:25 AM

I foresee an increase in the number of stravassholes for sure.

clever though.

I foresee an increase in moaning about stravassholes for sure. :P

dirtypot

Jul 1, 2015, 11:26 AM

Next week garmin are bound to have another new device that you will want more than this one... seems they are releasing new products on a weekly basis

Maybe...

At the moment I can afford no Garmin product  :whistling:

LOOK695

Jul 1, 2015, 11:29 AM

Anyone looking for a well looked after Edge 510?

fanievb

Jul 1, 2015, 11:30 AM

DIPS

did you check this one bru?!?!

this_is__strava.pnghttp://i.qkme.me/3simy9.jpg

Spinnekop

Jul 1, 2015, 11:43 AM

Seems the Strava thing will be in the next firmware upgrade for 510 and 810 and 1000 also.
Nice.  :thumbup:

I like the size of the 520 :clap: 

nonky

Jul 1, 2015, 11:50 AM

I see an increased incidence of heart attacks in Mamils

Kallie.

Jul 1, 2015, 11:58 AM

Strava features aside, it looks like a nice device. Definitely on my wish list.

DIPSLICK

Jul 1, 2015, 12:05 PM

THE SPRUIT THREADS ARE GOING TO GET MORE INTERESTING

Butterbean

Jul 1, 2015, 12:16 PM

I dunno so much. As a 510 owner, it looks very pretty, but it's not much smaller/flatter which is what my only gripe with the 510 is.

Riamich

Jul 1, 2015, 12:20 PM

Garmin should allow upgrades to 510s to enable this function

Meezo

Jul 1, 2015, 12:24 PM

Seems the Strava thing will be in the next firmware upgrade for 510 and 810 and 1000 also.

Nice.  :thumbup:

I like the size of the 520 :clap: 

where where i wanna know too

Spinnekop

Jul 1, 2015, 12:25 PM

Garmin should allow upgrades to 510s to enable this function

It will be in the next firmware update it is said.....

RocknRolla

Jul 1, 2015, 12:26 PM

Perhaps they can combine the proximity warning tech to automatically play "Straaavaaaaaarrrrgggghhh" over a loudspeaker from the unit everytime one approaches a slower rider from behind

Spinnekop

Jul 1, 2015, 12:27 PM

where where i wanna know too

Q3 (End September)

Spinnekop

Jul 1, 2015, 12:35 PM

But there is a catch.....

Strava live sections will only be available to Strava Premium members!  :thumbdown:

V12man

Jul 1, 2015, 12:36 PM

I dunno so much. As a 510 owner, it looks very pretty, but it's not much smaller/flatter which is what my only gripe with the 510 is.

You need a 1000..... :ph34r: :ph34r:

the_roadie

Jul 1, 2015, 2:46 PM

Anyone looking for a well looked after Edge 510?

The Strava feature will be coming to the Edge 510 as well in a firmware update between now and September. So hold onto that 510 for now :)

Butterbean

Jul 1, 2015, 3:04 PM

You need a 1000..... :ph34r: :ph34r:

Hahaha the size put me off something aweful.

The 500 was always the "right" size. I'm pissed as the screen on the 510 is like 60% of its frontal surface area. But the new 520 isn't much smaller, but the screen takes up more of the unit. So I doubt I'll be getting rid of the 510 just because.

liebenw

Jul 1, 2015, 3:24 PM

So let's see, bundle RRP $399,99. So what you reckon we will be paying here in SA? Since an upgrade on 510 maybe R6K plus. EISH!

how is it we end up paying so much more?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment