Tech

Preview: 2016 Momsen Vipa Trail featuring 27.5+ compatability

· By Matt · 22 comments

At their recent dealer launch event, we spotted the latest iteration of the Momsen VIPA Trail. Scheduled for launch in the second quarter of 2016, the Trail version will provide a longer travel option to the VIPA lineup with a “mild” and a “wild” build option.

The Momsen VIPA Trail is set up with a slacker geometry best suited for 120-140mm up front. In the rear it’ll give 111mm of travel with a 190mm eye-to-eye measurement.

It’s seen some exciting updates since the early prototype we had a look at in February. The biggest change is the revised all-alloy rear triangle. The exciting part? The added clearance means you’re able to run either 29 or 27.5+ wheels on the same platform.

In order to accommodate the plus sized tires Momsen have gone with the Boost standard front and rear (110mm / 148mm) to allow a bit more room.

The stealthy looking prototype was hiding away in the low lighting so we took it outside to get a better look…

Vipa Trail-1.jpg

Vipa Trail-8.jpg
Vipa Trail-10.jpg
Vipa Trail-5.jpgThis prototype was fitted with a standard Rockshox Pike, not the Boost version which would be specced on the bike to give a bit more clearance.
Vipa Trail-4.jpg

The new aluminium rear triangle is specifically designed to provide ample tire clearance. It’s likely that we’ll see a similar alloy rear end make its way into the standard VIPA lineup, adding an all alloy VIPA to the range at a lower price point.

This prototype was fitted with an earlier version of the seat stays lacking the bridge across the seat stays to provide stiffness. The newer version is undergoing a few minor tweaks.

Vipa Trail-2.jpg
Vipa Trail-3.jpg

Vipa Trail-11.jpg29″ (left) vs. 27.5″ plus (right).

Thanks to the almost equal wheel diameter either wheelset can be run on the Rockshox Pike RCT3 29″ (the 27.5″ rim coupled with the taller “plus” tire results in a diameter about the same as a 29″ rim and standard tire). The Boost model of the fork gives a bit more width to allow for fatter tires, although it is still possible to run slightly narrower plus tires on the standard version of the fork.

VEE Tire Co-5.jpg

Why go plus?

Aside from being the latest hot topic in mountain biking, plus is said to offer something of a sweet spot between its “full fat” cousins and a standard mountain bike tire. More grip, stability and a smoother ride, without quite as much of the heft and clumsiness of a full on fat bike tire. While many dismissed fat bikes as a bit of a fad, it seems many of the major manufacturers are taking serious notice of the “plus” category.

We’re excited to get our hands on a production version of the Momsen VIPA Trail. Although the official launch date is set of the second quarter of 2016, we’re holding thumbs we might get a look in on it a bit sooner…

Comments

gummibear

Aug 17, 2015, 8:15 AM

Those tyres are very very close to the frame and fork.

A slight buckle and you could have a problem.

ccs-2-0-41834900-1439551212.jpg

ccs-2-0-59036200-1439551195.jpg

rock

Aug 17, 2015, 8:16 AM

yeah.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Aug 17, 2015, 8:16 AM

yay! Finally!!!

Matt

Aug 17, 2015, 8:26 AM

Those tyres are very very close to the frame and fork.

A slight buckle and you could have a problem.

ccs-2-0-41834900-1439551212.jpg

ccs-2-0-59036200-1439551195.jpg

The pics do exaggerate the tightness a bit - particularly that shot of the fork. In reality there is a bit more clearance, but yes with a bit of a wobble there could be contact and some issues.

rock

Aug 17, 2015, 9:18 AM

all this talk about 27.5+ being the same height as a 29er wheel, one forgets that are substantially wider.

serious buyers will run 29" tyres I reckon.

Odinson

Aug 17, 2015, 9:49 AM

If the tyres in the photos are 2.8", you probably wouldn't be able to fit a 3.0" tyre in there, considering the already tight clearance. 

Bikes that are designed around the 27.5+ concept can often accommodate tyres up to 3.2" - 3.4". 

So, if you're interested in running this bike in 27.5+ guise, you'll probably be limited to tyres less than 3.0" or plus tyres that were designed to fit into 29er frames on 27.5" rims, such as the WTB Trailblazer. 

Matt

Aug 17, 2015, 10:08 AM

Correction: The fork pictured here is a stock standard Rockshox Pike, not the Boost version.

That has a 100mm x 15mm wide lower assembly. The bikes will come with the new BOOST version of any fork they spec. That gives 110mm x 15mm wide lowers – this means a totally different lower leg assembly and ample clearance. 

Odinson

Aug 17, 2015, 10:11 AM

Correction: The fork pictured here is a stock standard Rockshox Pike, not the Boost version.

That has a 100mm x 15mm wide lower assembly. The bikes will come with the new BOOST version of any fork they spec. That gives 110mm x 15mm wide lowers – this means a totally different lower leg assembly and ample clearance. 

What's the max rear clearance?

Pipsqueak

Aug 17, 2015, 2:22 PM

They hucked a Pyga seat tube for this bike. 

Iwan Kemp

Aug 17, 2015, 2:51 PM

What's the max rear clearance?

It'll be good for a 2.8" on the 52mm Stan's Hugo rim. 

Quite a few industry players saying 2.8" is the sweet spot for what they're aiming the bikes for. NOT mini fatbikes, but plus size regulars.

Fox and RockShox clearance for 27.5" plus tires are around 3.2"

Iwan Kemp

Aug 17, 2015, 2:56 PM

all this talk about 27.5+ being the same height as a 29er wheel, one forgets that are substantially wider.

serious buyers will run 29" tyres I reckon.

Correct, but will be cool to have the option of racing 29er wheels then slap some fatties on to huck some trails. All on the same bike!

Bergie001

Apr 5, 2016, 5:45 PM

Has anybody got a timeframe for when this Momsen will be coming out?

Chris.ZA

Aug 7, 2016, 4:54 PM

Is this bike ever going to launch? It's been nearly a year since this post and the news on it is non existent.

the nerd

Aug 7, 2016, 5:17 PM

IMHO 2.8 isn't plus.... 

3.0" or GFTO  :devil:

Bizkit031

Aug 7, 2016, 5:22 PM

Nothing special about this bike.

Johny Bravo

Aug 7, 2016, 6:10 PM

Agreed

Odinson

Aug 7, 2016, 6:50 PM

Was there ever?

the nerd

Aug 7, 2016, 6:53 PM

Was there ever?

Never understood the vipa... Cost was high, geo was "weird", and looked meh... Maybe I'm fussy...
Iwan Kemp

Aug 7, 2016, 7:03 PM

Never understood the vipa... Cost was high, geo was "weird", and looked meh... Maybe I'm fussy...

Each to his own, but not sure what you are refering to re the geo as it's in-line with the Specialized Epic, Silverback Sesta and the likes.

the nerd

Aug 7, 2016, 7:15 PM

Each to his own, but not sure what you are refering to re the geo as it's in-line with the Specialized Epic, Silverback Sesta and the likes.

Yeah I struggle to get comfy on most dual suss bikes, I test rode the very first ones only so I can only speak about those and I struggled.

*that being said, I quite like the look of the new one with 2.8s. A sucker for a plus bike!

Like you say each to their own... I mean some people buy e-bikes :-p

mornevg

Aug 7, 2016, 7:34 PM

Wait till you have to warranty it. ENDLESS run-arounds. Rather buy a PYGA. Cooler brand as well.

Ryanpmb

Aug 7, 2016, 7:58 PM

With the nerd here. 2.8 isn't plus & definitely not fatty. Running two tyre sizes on this platform is a stretch - more fit convenience than specific design. Clearance looks marginal - to take advantage of plus tyres one should be able to run low pressures. At low pressures my guess is with normal tyre roll plus tyres will touch this frame. I would prefer to get a frame actually designed around multiple tyre sizes by a manufacturer that's been at for a lot longer than these new comers.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment