Tech

RockShox Updates DebonAir Air Spring For 2021

Supplied by RockShox.

· By Press Office · 41 comments

Press Release

The highly-tunable DebonAir air spring is ready for whatever the trail demands. Buttery smooth feel off the top, now optimized to maintain higher ride height and add more confidence on technical terrain.

ccs-62657-0-53763200-1586265350.jpg

Every millimetre matters, especially when it comes to charging down steep, technical terrain. Based on rider feedback, the updated DebonAir air spring has even more initial support and adds a whole lot more confidence to the ride. It only took a few tweaks to get it just right. By moving the air piston position relative to the dimple, we increased the ride height from top out to sag. This means more initial support and the use of every millimetre of travel available to stay on top of the terrain.

ccs-62657-0-35890700-1586265349.jpg

Pike

Designed for today’s top trail-dominating dream bikes and ready for any conquest you’ve got planned. Ticking all the boxes, each and every detail made to reduce friction, minimize rider fatigue, and provide unmatched control over any trail.

PIKE ULTIMATE (FS-PIKE-ULT-B4)

A true trail machine we couldn’t wait to have on our bikes and get to you. Featuring an updated DebonAir air spring paired with our Charger 2.1 damper for unmatched trail control for every sweeping corner or loamy drop in. Ultra-low friction SKF wiper seals and Maxima Plush damping fluid all work overtime to reduce friction, silence noise, and provide lasting fork performance.

Features:

• Updated highly-tunable DebonAir air spring offers a buttery smooth feel off the top and maintains a higher ride height for increased confidence in steep terrain
  • Designed to reduce hand fatigue and fight unwanted friction, the Charger 2.1 damper increases confidence and control over every trail
  • Charger 2.1 RC2 damper option featuring independent high and low speed compression adjust
  • Ultra-low friction SKF wiper seals provide long lasting fork performance and improve overall suspension feel
  • Maxima Plush damping fluid reduces friction and silences damper noise
  • Gloss Silver Signature colour option

Specifications

• Wheel size: 27.5″, 29″
  • Travel: 130mm, 140mm, 150mm
  • Damper: Charger 2.1 RC2
  • Offset: 37mm (27.5″), 46mm (27.5”), 42mm (29″), 51mm (29″)
  • Upper tube: 35mm tapered wall aluminium

MSRP: $899 | €979* | £869* | *INCLUDES VAT

ccs-62657-0-33067100-1586265013.pngPike Ultimate
ccs-62657-0-28135200-1586265012.pngPike Select

PIKE SELECT (FS-PIKE-SEL-B4)

Pike Select combines an updated DebonAir air spring with the Charger RC damper, perfect for any trail junket you have planned. As a bonus, we included race-proven Maxima Plush fluid to help reduce friction, silence noise, and keep things running smooth ride after ride.

Features

• Updated highly-tunable DebonAir air spring offers a buttery smooth feel off the top and maintains a higher ride height for increased confidence in steep terrain
  • Charger RC damper featuring low speed compression adjust

Specifications

• Travel: 130mm, 140mm, 150mm
  • Damper: Charger RC

MSRP: $699 | €759* | £679* | *INCLUDES VAT

ccs-62657-0-31852900-1586265348.jpg

Lyrik

Gotta get up to get down. We’re all about the earned bliss. Steeper, longer, rockier and now with more transfers in between— enduro riders all over the world are upping their game. If it’s a big mountain excursion or the coveted weekend podium you’re after, Lyrik is ready to help you conquer it all. Bring snacks and enduro on.

LYRIK ULTIMATE (FS-LYRK-ULT-C3)

Designed not only for the race down, but the ride up. Holding onto every critical line, Lyrik Ultimate features an updated DebonAir air spring paired with our Charger 2.1 damper for unmatched trail control and precision. Ultra-low friction SKF wiper seals and Maxima Plush damping fluid all work overtime to reduce friction, silence noise, and provide unmatched fork performance sun up to sun down.

Features

• Designed to reduce hand fatigue and fight unwanted friction, the Charger 2.1 damper increases confidence and control over every trail
  • Charger 2.1 RC2 damper featuring independent high and low speed compression adjust
  • Ultra-low friction SKF wiper seals provide long lasting fork performance and improve overall suspension feel
  • Ultimate foil graphics package
  • “BoXXer” Red Signature colour options

Specifications

• Travel: 150mm, 160mm, 170mm, 180mm
  • Damper: Charger 2.1 RC2

ccs-62657-0-35376700-1586265011.pngLyrik Ultimate
ccs-62657-0-11500300-1586265010.pngLyrik Select

MSRP: $949 | €1,039* | £929* | *INCLUDES VAT

LYRIK SELECT (FS-LYRK-SEL-C3)

For all the ups, downs and to get you to everything in between. Lyrik Select combines an updated DebonAir air spring with the trusted Charger RC damper for unmatched trail control and precision. Maxima Plush fluid reduces friction, silences noise, and provides all-around lasting performance.

Features

• Charger RC damper featuring low speed compression adjust

Specifications

• Damper: Charger RC
  • Offset: 37mm (27.5″), 46mm (27.5″), 42mm (29″), 51mm (29″)

MSRP: $749 | €819* | £729* | *INCLUDES VAT

ccs-62657-0-09131900-1586265347.jpg

Yari

Yari shares the stiff, hard-hitting Lyrik chassis designed to inspire confidence for those hard-hitting enduro riders and E-MTB riders alike.

YARI RC (FS-YARI-RC-B3)

Yari shares the stiff, hard-hitting Lyrik chassis and combines it with the updated DebonAir air spring and proven Motion Control damper. Designed to inspire confidence for those hard-hitting enduro and E-MTB riders alike.

Features

• New graphic package for a fresh, premium look
  • Motion Control damping featuring low speed compression adjustment
  • Chassis derived from Lyrik

Specifications

• Wheel size: 27.5″, 29″, 29″+
  • Damper: Motion Control
  • Offset: 46mm (27.5”), 42mm (29″), 51mm (29″+)

MSRP: $499 | €539* | £479* | *INCLUDES VAT

ccs-62657-0-77089100-1586265037.pngYariI RC
ccs-62657-0-51791000-1586265014.pngRevelation RC

Revelation

With 35mm upper tubes and a chassis derived from Pike, Revelation is ready to tackle the ever-changing challenges the trail may take.

REVELATION RC (FS-RVL-RC-A3)

Revelation is all grown up and ready to explore wherever the trail may turn. Value packed, the Revelation features the updated DebonAir air spring paired with the Motion Control damper and 35mm Fast Black upper tubes.

Features

• New graphic package for a fresh, premium look
  • Motion Control damping featuring low speed compression adjustment to firm
  • 35mm Fast Black upper tubes
  • Chassis derived from Pike

Specifications

• Travel: 120mm, 130mm, 140mm, 150mm
  • Damper: Motion Control
  • Offset: 46mm (27.5”), 42mm (29″)
  • Upper tube type: 35mm tapered wall aluminium

MSRP: $499 | €539* | £479* | *INCLUDES VAT

Question & Answer

How have you made the fork ride higher?
The new DebonAir air spring moves the piston into the dimple, which means the ride height from top-out to sag is higher and riders benefit from more initial support while achieving full travel when needed.

What changes have been made to the fork chassis?
The CSU and lowers remain the same, as well as the damper. The changes are to the air spring, where there’s an updated aluminium seal head with internal bushing, and also a new longer foot-nut at the bottom of the air spring shaft.

Is the new air spring backwards compatible?
Yes, the new air spring is backwards compatible across previous generation Lyrik and Yari as well as Pike and Revelation forks. There are two distinct air springs for the different fork chassis designs. You can also upgrade an MY20 air spring using the footnut and seal head spare parts rather than purchasing a complete air spring for your fork.

Why is the fork now easier to set up and equalize?
We’ve moved the piston up so that it sits in the dimple all the time while maintaining the same positive and negative volume. We’re still able to equalize the tube between the two chambers, which now happens automatically – in turn they’re much easier to set up for a rider.

What do the changes to the foot-nut and seal head do?
We’ve changed those two parts together, making them longer to move the air piston up 10 millimetres to sit in the dimple.

Have the air volumes changed?
The volumes have changed, and there is a little less positive volume now.

The new seal head looks hollow at the bottom – why is that?
We learned with BoXXer that creating air volume under the seal head meant increasing the volume in the lower legs at bottom out. This means less lower leg air volume ramp up at the last part of the stroke. This increase in lower leg volume combined with the decreased positive volume means that the force to bottom out is virtually unchanged.

Has setting sag changed at all?
We found that some riders were correcting the initial part of the stroke by putting more air pressure in the fork, which in turn held the fork up a little. The problem here is the increased pressure means getting full travel is harder. By repositioning the piston into the dimple, we have increased ride height and eliminated the need to over pressure for initial stroke support. Therefore, the fork rides higher and a rider gets full travel when needed.

Has the air pressure chart for Lyrik changed?
Lyrik will keep the same air pressure chart. With the same pressure it will ride higher in the travel. This keeps the fork from diving in steep terrain, and also allows full use of travel. The extra support keeps the fork taller, bar higher, and increases confidence to smash through the roughest terrain.

Has the air pressure chart for Pike changed?
We have reduced the pressure on the air pressure charts for Pike and Revelation as their sportier set up meant the changes in the air spring made a more drastic impact to the ride height and support. By reducing the pressure by approximately 5 PSI we have matched the spring characteristics in the latter part of the stroke while improving ride height and support in the initial part of the stroke.

Does the new air spring change the spring curve at all?
We have been able to improve the initial part of the stroke providing more support and ride height, but the overall spring curve is very similar. There is also a small change to the dimple bypass effect on the spring curve – with previous generation air springs, there would have been a small but noticeable downwards spike in the spring curve where the air changes across the dimple. The new air spring has eliminated that little downwards spike as the piston head sits in the dimple to begin with.

Tags:

Related posts

Comments

Bos

Apr 14, 2020, 8:17 AM

One more question to Rockshox please. How does an oversight like this sneak into a top tier top dollar suspension design, gets rolled out to thousands of products before the fix is released as an upgrade 3 years later?

Sorry to sound negative when there is something else but COV - 19 news for a change. But as you can gather, I have one of these products that needs the "Fix" 

They have revised the air-spring 3 times in 3 years. I have the MKII on my new Pike (the red sealhead/PIKE) which works fine but as I found out and was perplexed by, the 150mm version only has 140mm travel, and that was apparently OK at the time?

Being a Product designer I know how this works. This thing wasn't tested and developed properly.

It goes like this: 

R&D calls Marketing; "Heya guys we got another upgrade on the air-spring you will love it." 

Marketing; "What is it?"

R&D; "Well its a new anodized red seal-head that gives a plusher initial stroke which one can feel right in the carpark and weekend warriors will love!"

Marketing" great we are just finalizing the catalog for next year and need all the details ASAP."

R&D; "Well we are still in the testing phase but so far it works a treat, the only downside is the larger air spring is taking 10mm to settle to equilibrium, therefore we need to redesign the seal head offsets or lengthen the air shaft so that the 10mm is taken into account before allowing it to have the right amount of travel, it will take 3 weeks.."

Marketing; "We don't have time its good enough.."

TomvdP

Apr 14, 2020, 8:47 AM

Yup, the official lines not long ago were either:

a) Not achieving full extension was how it was supposed to be. It's indicative of how plush it is (nevermind that it never went to full extension even when lifted off the ground, with the weight of the wheel).

b) Your equalisation dimple must be clogged with grease - maybe you serviced it wrong. Try again and get back to us.

Pretty unimpressed that they've corrected this problem under the guise of "it rides higher in its travel".

My Lyrik 150 only had between 143-145mm showing on a given day. Add to that that it rode deep into its travel and no amount of pressure allowed for less than 25% sag (80kg rider, testing the max pressure in the fork). The solution for me was to go to 160mm (possible with all modern Pikes by the way, despite what RS says) to get a dynamic ride height I was happy with.

I will grudgingly buy this fix.

Bos

Apr 14, 2020, 8:54 AM

Yea, likewise. I'm getting exactly 142mm on my 150mm pike, on my bike thats designed for a 150mm fork. 

Capricorn

Apr 14, 2020, 10:14 AM

So i must should upgrade the air spring again... <_<

BaGearA

Apr 14, 2020, 11:13 AM

Stop buying anything from sram, most of their stuff is rushes out and updated within a year or few months but almost never backwards compatible. Spare parts is mess, most of their new shocks have large functional parts that are deemed 'non serviceable' so when it wears you'll have to buy a new one (which won't be available) so they can convince you they're helping you 'upgrade' for a discounted amount

Their lower tier drive trains have had issues upon issues upon issues, the new brain systems which are based on rockshox combined with spez are giving more issues and problems which is why all these 'free' service intervals are coming with the new epics (they know...)

The swelling guide pistons became so bad that 3rd party companies started to step in to get peoples brakes working again

Stop buying sram

OH and the new airspring is such A blatant copy of fox's NA2 EVOL system (which has been available since 2017 with spares widely available) its painful

Bos

Apr 14, 2020, 12:25 PM

So i must should upgrade the air spring again... <_<

Hey Cap, been reading through the MTBR thread on it, and I think If possible, rather get a longer travel air-spring. The new Debonair MKIII seems to have a smaller negative spring, which might make it even harder to reach full travel although its not what they clam. 

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/rockshox-debonair-2021-a-1133399.html#post14673989

Capricorn

Apr 14, 2020, 9:30 PM

Hey Cap, been reading through the MTBR thread on it, and I think If possible, rather get a longer travel air-spring. The new Debonair MKIII seems to have a smaller negative spring, which might make it even harder to reach full travel although its not what they clam. 

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/rockshox-debonair-2021-a-1133399.html#post14673989

you have got to shitting me ...

but ok, let me go read 

btw: have 170mm lyrik.

droo

Apr 15, 2020, 7:43 AM

you have got to shitting me ...

but ok, let me go read 

btw: have 170mm lyrik.

650? I have a 180 spring I can trade if you want...

DieselnDust

Apr 15, 2020, 8:29 AM

Stop buying anything from sram, most of their stuff is rushes out and updated within a year or few months but almost never backwards compatible. Spare parts is mess, most of their new shocks have large functional parts that are deemed 'non serviceable' so when it wears you'll have to buy a new one (which won't be available) so they can convince you they're helping you 'upgrade' for a discounted amount

Their lower tier drive trains have had issues upon issues upon issues, the new brain systems which are based on rockshox combined with spez are giving more issues and problems which is why all these 'free' service intervals are coming with the new epics (they know...)

The swelling guide pistons became so bad that 3rd party companies started to step in to get peoples brakes working again

Stop buying sram

OH and the new airspring is such A blatant copy of fox's NA2 EVOL system (which has been available since 2017 with spares widely available) its painful

LOL really?!!

I know you're a Shimano dealer but please get a balance.

Shimano:

-peeling derailleur cables

- exploding Dura Ace and Ultegra shifters

- Seizing rear derailleur jockey cages

- cranks arms separating

- Brake caliper bolts cracking

and they never issue recalls because according to them , everything is end user abuse LOL

If only Shimano actually produced forks and rear shocks for you to actually have some skin in the game.

Emazing

Jun 16, 2020, 6:57 PM

https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/

Evening -Who’s has been able to secure this part ? I looking for two and would like more info. SRAM USA int manager handed me a email of SA agent and I not heard a thing.

Bos

Jun 16, 2020, 9:10 PM

https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/

Evening -Who’s has been able to secure this part ? I looking for two and would like more info. SRAM USA int manager handed me a email of SA agent and I not heard a thing.

I Believe Tom has..? I ordered one but have not managed to collect it. Will let you know when I do. I rode Jonkers this weekend that passed and Still only used 120 of my 150 mm travel. Lets hope the new spring unlocks the last bit. 

Alouette3

Jun 17, 2020, 6:31 AM

I Believe Tom has..? I ordered one but have not managed to collect it. Will let you know when I do. I rode Jonkers this weekend that passed and Still only used 120 of my 150 mm travel. Lets hope the new spring unlocks the last bit.

How many Tokens you running?

Johnny Lawless

Jun 17, 2020, 7:01 AM

Goodluck finding the new DebonAir spring locally. Been trying everyone for the last couple of weeks including Cape Cycles themselves and it is not available locally...not sure when either. Might need to find a way to import it myself but with SRAM import restrictions that could be tricky.

(Or I need ot be patient....which I'm not)

Johnny Lawless

Jun 17, 2020, 7:35 AM

Stop buying sram

"almost never backwards compatible. Spare parts is mess, most of their new shocks have large functional parts that are deemed 'non serviceable' so when it wears you'll have to buy a new one (which won't be available)"

Doesn't seem to be the case in this instance - "You can also upgrade an MY20 air spring using the footnut and seal head spare parts rather than purchasing a complete air spring for your fork."

Just my 2 cents but I've always found RS way more backward compatible than say Fox. I just upgraded my 2014 spec Pike with the newest Charger 2.1 damper which essentially gives me a 2020 Pike (at least when I eventually find stock of the new 2021 DebonAir spring). What other manufacturer allows that kind of backward compatible upgrades?

Also, RS allows you to service your own suspension. I've had a Fox before and I had to pay a small fortune to get it serviced and it was a logistical mission...maybe that's changed of late?

DieselnDust

Jun 17, 2020, 8:11 AM

"almost never backwards compatible. Spare parts is mess, most of their new shocks have large functional parts that are deemed 'non serviceable' so when it wears you'll have to buy a new one (which won't be available)"

Doesn't seem to be the case in this instance - "You can also upgrade an MY20 air spring using the footnut and seal head spare parts rather than purchasing a complete air spring for your fork."

Just my 2 cents but I've always found RS way more backward compatible than say Fox. I just upgraded my 2014 spec Pike with the newest Charger 2.1 damper which essentially gives me a 2020 Pike (at least when I eventually find stock of the new 2021 DebonAir spring). What other manufacturer allows that kind of backward compatible upgrades?

Also, RS allows you to service your own suspension. I've had a Fox before and I had to pay a small fortune to get it serviced and it was a logistical mission...maybe that's changed of late?

RS is still user servicable for 50hr services. Major services not so much but that's no different to other brands

droo

Jun 17, 2020, 8:16 AM

Weird. I've ordered, received and fitted about 6 so far, all from local agent. They've sold out now though, more on the way as soon as current international air freight dogshow allows.

Not had much feedback yet, but will update here once I've heard back.

Johnny Lawless

Jun 17, 2020, 9:16 AM

Weird. I've ordered, received and fitted about 6 so far, all from local agent. They've sold out now though, more on the way as soon as current international air freight dogshow allows.

Not had much feedback yet, but will update here once I've heard back.

I'm talking about the current situation Andrew (post corona). Because you and I have been trying to get a 150mm version for almost a full month now or what am I missing? That's why you went ahead with the damper upgrade on my fork as we could not find any stock of the air shafts. Please let me know if this has changed since I'm VERY keen.

droo

Jun 17, 2020, 9:43 AM

They're only available as upgrade kits for now, not as complete spring assemblies, and the 150mm Debonair springs have been out of stock for ages.

The issue with your fork is that the kit ins't compatible with your spring.

But we'll be all over it as soon as the next shipment lands.

Johnny Lawless

Jun 17, 2020, 9:51 AM

They're only available as upgrade kits for now, not as complete spring assemblies, and the 150mm Debonair springs have been out of stock for ages.

The issue with your fork is that the kit ins't compatible with your spring.

But we'll be all over it as soon as the next shipment lands.

Aah okay, that makes sense. Thanks man

hansolo

Jun 17, 2020, 9:58 AM

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread...

How much does these Debonair and Charger 2/2.1 upgrades cost? I have a 140 mm 2014 non-boost Pike RCT3 and I'm wondering if it is worth it.

Johnny Lawless

Jun 17, 2020, 10:06 AM

How much does these Debonair and Charger 2/2.1 upgrades cost? I have a 140 mm 2014 non-boost Pike RCT3 and I'm wondering if it is worth it.

I've done the charger 2.1 upgrade on the same fork as you and believe me....it's way worth it. Never knew my Pike could feel this good. And this is without the debonair upgrade still since I'm waiting for stock.

Damper and installation was just under 5k in my case but not sure if the exchange rate etc pushed that up. Air shaft upgrade will probably be around the 1k mark give or take a couple of hundred ZAR

droo

Jun 17, 2020, 10:14 AM

About R 4k for the part (extras may vary depending on what else needs doing), and definitely worth the effort.

Bos

Jun 17, 2020, 10:24 AM

How many Tokens you running?

Running no tokens at the moment. I managed to use full travel a couple of times, but that was only when hitting a certain G-out on my home trails so fast I almost blacked out from the Gforces :)

I rode Helderberg 2 weeks ago and only got about 120mm even after bonking some of the jumps. I dropped 3-5 psi before hitting Jonkershoek this weekend, and although the fork felt more comfortable on the smaller stuff, and not really harsh on the big stuff, Its just not using that last 25mm which is not a train smash, but I'd like to believe if it does what the new MK3 Airspring says, it should be pretty good. I'll be sure to comment once I've tested it. I can always throw a token back in, but one cant take more out right now. 

droo

Jun 17, 2020, 12:04 PM

Running no tokens at the moment. I managed to use full travel a couple of times, but that was only when hitting a certain G-out on my home trails so fast I almost blacked out from the Gforces :)

I rode Helderberg 2 weeks ago and only got about 120mm even after bonking some of the jumps. I dropped 3-5 psi before hitting Jonkershoek this weekend, and although the fork felt more comfortable on the smaller stuff, and not really harsh on the big stuff, Its just not using that last 25mm which is not a train smash, but I'd like to believe if it does what the new MK3 Airspring says, it should be pretty good. I'll be sure to comment once I've tested it. I can always throw a token back in, but one cant take more out right now. 

You just need to eat more pies.an extra 15kg would go a long way towards using the rest of your travel.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment