Tech

Silverback Sesta wins German design award

· By Press Office · 26 comments

The Sesta is one of our innovative and class leading bikes and has won several awards. At Eurobike 2014 it won a prestigious award for innovation and in 2015 this feat has been repeated.

ccs-62657-0-99707400-1446204177.jpeg

It’s latest award has been the sought after German Design Award for 2016 by the German Design Council. The German Design Council is one of the world’s leading centers of expertise on design and nominees are selected by an independent panel.

After a rigorous vetting process, it was ultimately decided that the Sesta took the top prize for the transport category. To be recognised by this esteemed organisation is a great honour.

ccs-62657-0-88337000-1446107340.jpg
ccs-62657-0-42451000-1446107336.jpg

To learn more about this award, visit: www.german-design-council.de/en/home.html

This accolade is proof of Silverback’s innovation as an industry leading brand, respected by many leading and independant bodies. With these achievements as our benchmark, we are always looking to drive innovation, to ensure the best bikes are developed for the right price.

Sesta Team

ccs-62657-0-96931400-1446106511.jpg

Sesta Pro

ccs-62657-0-32721000-1446106509.jpg

Sesta Race

ccs-62657-0-65294300-1446106510.jpg

Take a look at the Silverback website for more information on the Sesta models here.

Comments

Mr X

Oct 30, 2015, 8:59 AM

Nice phantom bike if only it was released more than a year ago like Sb said it would. The pro is now already 15k more expensive than 1 year ago when it did not exist either.

Suidwes Boytjie

Oct 30, 2015, 9:10 AM

I've got the Silverback Sprada 1 and the current Sprada 1 is also R10k more...

Would love one of these bikes but these racing machine are just becoming ridiculously expensive... 

In the mean time i'll just drool over this one  :drool:

Sixes & Sevens

Oct 30, 2015, 9:33 AM

Nice phantom bike if only it was released more than a year ago like Sb said it would. The pro is now already 15k more expensive than 1 year ago when it did not exist either.

I would love it if Silverback SA could explain the situation - There seemed to be a lot of interest in this bike when it was (correction - wasn't) released a year ago! I for one was keen to check it out before buying a new bike - Gave up in the end and bought something else!

Mr X

Oct 30, 2015, 9:46 AM

I would love it if Silverback SA could explain the situation - There seemed to be a lot of interest in this bike when it was (correction - wasn't) released a year ago! I for one was keen to check it out before buying a new bike - Gave up in the end and bought something else!

I think they developed only 1 bike to try win all these awards and they succeeded in doing this. I am sure that this is the best bike that can not be bought.

I have heard that the Sesta is available in SA now but I would like to see 1 first since this is a ghost bike.

DJuice

Oct 30, 2015, 10:20 AM

Was in the same boat, bought a Vipa.

Mentioned before, so I am trolling a bit.

My opinion are the bike was not ready for the market, reason being the guys riding epic had an aluminium rear triangle.

If you compare last year phantom bike with this one, their is a new carbon strut on the drive side of the triangle.

On Pinkbike when the Stage got a lot of attention for the brake jack, there were a comparison to a Sesta and brake jack comparisons.

All being said, Silverback sent me one to test!!!

Suidwes Boytjie

Oct 30, 2015, 10:29 AM

Was in the same boat, bought a Vipa.

Mentioned before, so I am trolling a bit.

My opinion are the bike was not ready for the market, reason being the guys riding epic had an aluminium rear triangle.

If you compare last year phantom bike with this one, their is a new carbon strut on the drive side of the triangle.

On Pinkbike when the Stage got a lot of attention for the brake jack, there were a comparison to a Sesta and brake jack comparisons.

All being said, Silverback sent me one to test!!!

I will swallow my pride and they can gladly send me one to test aswell...  :whistling:

Iwan Kemp

Oct 30, 2015, 10:32 AM

The bike will be available early Dec. 

Mr X

Oct 30, 2015, 10:42 AM

The bike will be available early Dec. 

For real this time? Thats exactly what they said a year ago.

Iwan Kemp

Oct 30, 2015, 10:45 AM

For real this time? Thats exactly what they said a year ago.

I can give you a definite yes or no next year this time!  :D

Seriously though, that's the news straight from Silverback HQ. Will fill you guys in on the details as soon as we know more.

Naas Vermaak

Oct 30, 2015, 11:05 AM

Got SB Team yesterday, apparently the first in RSA :)

Some facts:

Buildup weight straight out of the box(no pedals and cages with tubes) = 10.24kg

Final buildup weight with tubeless(Rocket Ron & Racing Ralph) Shimano 520 pedals(waiting for XT pedals that is 40gr lighter) and carbon bottle cage = 10.9 kg

After 2 rides sofar....an Amazing bike, all I can say...lighter than my carbon hardtail :)....which I have sold now :)

rudi-h

Oct 30, 2015, 11:10 AM

so it's an innovation award...  cool looking bike, but I wonder what gave it the edge in terms of innovation?  materials / geometry, does anybody know?

Hilton.

Oct 30, 2015, 11:13 AM

Got SB Team yesterday, apparently the first in RSA :)

Some facts:

Buildup weight straight out of the box(no pedals and cages with tubes) = 10.24kg

Final buildup weight with tubeless(Rocket Ron & Racing Ralph) Shimano 520 pedals(waiting for XT pedals that is 40gr lighter) and carbon bottle cage = 10.9 kg

After 2 rides sofar....an Amazing bike, all I can say...lighter than my carbon hardtail :)....which I have sold now :)

Pichas .. or it didn't happen  :ph34r:

Naas Vermaak

Oct 30, 2015, 11:22 AM

post-57148-0-84660900-1446204359_thumb.jpgpost-57148-0-32907400-1446204067_thumb.jpgpost-57148-0-10514600-1446204045_thumb.jpg

Final weight is 10.79 kg

NelAndre

Oct 30, 2015, 11:37 AM

My I ask the price and where bought? Awesome looking MACHINE!

Naas Vermaak

Oct 30, 2015, 11:50 AM

Normal Retail = around R70k and I sell them. If you're interested plse PM me and we can discuss extra's and final price - will be happy to negotiate 

JohanMalan

Nov 2, 2015, 6:33 AM

Hel Naas!

lyk fantasties.

Double stitch nou daai hempsakke dat ek mooi kan vashou.

Talk Wrench

Nov 10, 2015, 12:47 PM

Here we go. The bike won its first award at Eurobike in concept status (yes, I know, the word "Concept" appears in the name also). (The second award was recently given by the German Design Award council.) 

Then after further significant development and testing the bike was produced in a limited quantity for the OMX Team to race experimentally in 2015, which they did and very successfully (Prologue win Cape Epic, two top ten overall Cape Epic, other podiums in Cape Epic as well as podiums and wins in Swiss Cup etc.)

Not satisfied with the stiffness to weight ratio, SB continued further testing under newer more stringent standards for bikes destined for Euro market. (Most brands on the market likely have not needed to submit existing rigs to be tested with the new standards.) 

After almost two years of development, SB decides that the current version is market ready, unfortunately testing and remanufacturing with new layups on carbon etc take a lot of time and manufacturers oftentimes take longer to fill the process than stated or desired, this is not the fault of the bike brand generally speaking. Sometimes test-lab equipment even fails and has significant down-time before being redeployed, this did happen in the train of events for Silverback.

Currently, the Sesta frame exceeds the industry standards requirements to make certification by about 200%. That is significant especially in light of the new standards.

There are a good number of a Ltd edition Sesta landing in the first week of December and then the bulk should arrive in January.

As for cost, there is nothing anybody can do about the mighty US $. Check the currency rates a year ago compared to now. Unfortunate collateral damage of politics is bike prices for Saffers.

Talk Wrench

Nov 10, 2015, 1:00 PM

Check Post by Talk Wrench

Talk Wrench

Nov 10, 2015, 2:07 PM

Sesta Concept 1.0 size medium. 

Anybody keen? Somebody caused a small amount of damage to two cable guides in transport but its fully serviceable.

In the background the luscious Slider 1 2016 with dropper post and stealth cable routing...

post-17828-0-87304600-1447163663_thumb.jpg

raptor-22

Nov 10, 2015, 3:11 PM

Great looking bike. If it looks right it generally is. When can I review one?

DJuice

Nov 10, 2015, 5:06 PM

Sesta Concept 1.0 size medium. 

Anybody keen? Somebody caused a small amount of damage to two cable guides in transport but its fully serviceable.

In the background the luscious Slider 1 2016 with dropper post and stealth cable routing...

Any reviews of the Sesta or links to reviews?

The silverback website not the most user friendly.

Mr X

Nov 10, 2015, 6:16 PM

Any reviews of the Sesta or links to reviews?

The silverback website not the most user friendly.

They still have to send me a test bike before I can review.

Mr X

Dec 4, 2015, 10:04 AM

Silverback still has no idea when this bike will be available to purchase. It was supposed to be early December (just like 1 year ago) but it seems not. I`m sure this would be a good bike but I`m not sure if it will be available any time soon - if ever.

Hairy

Apr 4, 2016, 8:49 AM

Add a comment

You must log in to comment