Sneak Peek: 2018 Giant Anthem 29er

After declaring 650b to be their wheel size of choice, Giant have somewhat neglected the Anthem 29er. An important bike for Giant in South Africa, the Anthem has been rolling around on much the same frame since 2012. But that is all set to change with the 2018 Anthem.

2018 Giant Anthem X2 9.jpg
The new 2018 Anthem can be viewed at the Giant Durbanville store.

Unfortunately, other than being able to take these pictures, and a quick inspection of the bike, we do not have any official details on the new Anthem.

There are obvious changes to the geometry with the bike looking slacker and longer. Our crude attempt at measuring the head angle puts it 1.5 degrees slacker than the previous platform at around 70 degrees. The chainstays are significantly shorter at 440 mm with a noticeably longer top tube length. The head tube also appears to be shorter with a lower stack height.

2018 Giant Anthem X2 4.jpg

2018 Giant Anthem X2 12.jpg

2018 Giant Anthem X2 13.jpg

The all-new rocker link is a single carbon piece and is adapted for a metric shock with trunnion mounting. The rear travel is said to be 90 mm while the front fork is set to 100 mm. The axle sizing is Boost 110 front and 148 rear with both ends using a stealth thru axle system.

2018 Giant Anthem X2 10.jpg

2018 Giant Anthem X2 2.jpg

2018 Giant Anthem X2 5.jpg

There is provision to mount a side swing direct mount front derailleur on the seat tube to run the bike in a double chainring configuration. There is internal cable routing with integrated protection on the drive side chainstay and a rubber protector on the underside of the seatstay. The new Anthem fits a 27.2 mm seatpost.

2018 Giant Anthem X2 11.jpg

2018 Giant Anthem X2 3.jpg

The Anthem 2 specification

The model pictured is the aluminium Anthem 2. The Large sized bike weighed 13.2 kilograms with Shimano SPD pedals and bottle cage attached.

It comes kitted with a Fox Performance SC fork and DPS shock, and a Shimano SLX 1x11 drivetrain (11-42 cassette and 32T chainring) while the brakes are Shimano Deore.

2018 Giant Anthem X2 8.jpg

The wheels are from Giant with the labelling displaying a width of 29 mm (we're unsure whether this is the internal or external measure). The rims are wrapped with a pair of Racing Ralph tyres. Both the wheels and tyres are tubeless ready. The handlebars are generous at 780 mm and are attached to an 80 mm stem on the Large model. The saddle and grips as pictured are not the original equipment and different models will appear on the final specification of the Anthem 2.

2018 Giant Anthem X2 1-2.jpg

2018 Giant Anthem X2 6.jpg

2018 Giant Anthem X2 7.jpg

2018 Giant Anthem X2 1.jpg

The official launch of the new Giant Anthem is expected near the end of April.

25 Comments

BaGearA, Apr 12 2017 01:07

very cool looking bike 

greg_sa, Apr 12 2017 01:21

Cool - I think many people have been waiting a long time for this...

IMHO, it is not quite as much of an all round bike as the new Scott Spark (with 120mm of travel). More like a Scott Spark RC?

But maybe Giant expect you to buy their 650b bikes to get more of an all round bike?

stefmeister, Apr 12 2017 02:00

The head tube also appears to be shorter with a lower stack height.

Finally bike manufacturers seeing the light in that area of geometry.

splat, Apr 12 2017 02:02

They hit the ball out of the park with the new 650b range, but I can't help but feel that they dropped the ball slightly with this one (mixing ball sports related metaphors).

Only 90mm and 100mm travel

27.2mm seatpost (limits dropper seatpost options)

Maybe I am missing the point of the new bike, as I was definitely expecting something else.

The update to Boost spacing and metric/trunion mounts is an improvement over the old bike and I am interested to see the geometry table, which may save the day.

So the bike exists in the flesh, but no news or spy shots or anything on the interwebs?

Robbie Stewart, Apr 12 2017 02:14

Looks lekker in red. I wonder what the price point is going to be considering our new "junk status".

Iwan Kemp, Apr 12 2017 02:19

So the bike exists in the flesh, but no news or spy shots or anything on the interwebs?

https://www.bikehub....15?source=topic

splat, Apr 12 2017 02:35

I meant apart from this article...

Iwan Kemp, Apr 12 2017 02:38

I meant apart from this article...

Yeah, just poking fun. Honestly though, Team Bike Hub first in the world with news on the new Anthem as Giant SA has managed to secure stock before anyone else. Even before the international launch.

Full details (along with a review) should hopefully follow soon.

splat, Apr 12 2017 02:50

Yeah, just poking fun. Honestly though, Team Bike Hub first in the world with news on the new Anthem as Giant SA has managed to secure stock before anyone else. Even before the international launch.

Full details (along with a review) should hopefully follow soon.

Brilliant!

(I beat you posting on MTBR though)

shaper, Apr 12 2017 03:26

Red... must be fast !!

Mawbs, Apr 12 2017 03:33

hmmm not exactly what i was was expecting / lead to believe. I think this is more aimed at the racing market compared to trail as in the 27.5 version.

kinda glad i didnt wait now 

BuffsVintageBikes, Apr 12 2017 04:10

I'm lovin' it, looking forward to see the price point to see if it's time to upgrade.

lerouc, Apr 12 2017 04:34

Williams in somerset already has one for sale - AND my size...

From their facebook page:

Fresh from the factory. Be amongst the first in the world to buy the 2018 new design Giant AnthemX 29er! Just a handful of units landed early in SA and we were fortunate enough to lay our hands on one unit. Size large. 
This is the SLX 1x11 kitted model with Fox Step Cast suspension and tubeless ready. No need to change tyres out this time!!
Price R39 250.00. 
The obvious changes are:
Boost front and rear
Trunion type rear shock
Single piece carbon upper link
27.2mm post
Still 100mm travel front and rear

cycliaan, Apr 12 2017 04:38

Nothing revolutionary here, and quite boring. Hardly worth mentioning compared to the likes of Cannondale, Scott and even the new Momsen Trail with regards to development. Especially given the size of Giant as a global brand.

nonky, Apr 12 2017 05:10

Giant really didn't try very hard with the looks of this one, did they?

Tony datoy, Apr 12 2017 05:26

Red! Not my colour... Otherwise looks ok.

Rocket-Boy, Apr 12 2017 06:38

But did they make it a threaded bb???

Giant Durbanville, Apr 13 2017 07:31

Thanks for the mention. We have secured 13 bikes in the full size curve. If anyone is interested, give us a call. 

But did they make it a threaded bb???

Pressfit

greg_sa, Apr 13 2017 08:03

I wonder if the rear travel really is 90mm - down from 100mm? Could it be due to the shorter chainstays?

Also curious if the BB height is different :)

Hardi, Apr 13 2017 08:50

Giant threw away a good idea:

Giant made the Trance x 29 er in 2013 with:

- shorter chain stay 17.8" (I see this one's rear looks similar)

- HTA 69.5 (same as 2017 cannondale)

- 120mm travel (same as 2017 scott)

4 years ago!

Robbie Stewart, Apr 13 2017 11:02

Giant threw away a good idea:

Giant made the Trance x 29 er in 2013 with:

- shorter chain stay 17.8" (I see this one's rear looks similar)

- HTA 69.5 (same as 2017 cannondale)

- 120mm travel (same as 2017 scott)

4 years ago!

I could swear you just described the Spez Camber...for the same amount of moola.

My mind is made up. I was anxiously waiting for the new Anthem to see what we were in for, but alas, Camber it is.

Stefan Cremer, Apr 13 2017 01:19

Looks like a nice enough bike, if the money is right... 

Being aimed squarely at marathons (by the looks of the bike geometry, travel, etc.) I find it curious that they were unable to fit a second bottle cage in the front triangle - deal breaker for me.

G e r h a r d Odendaal, Apr 13 2017 02:58

Looks like a nice enough bike, if the money is right... 

Being aimed squarely at marathons (by the looks of the bike geometry, travel, etc.) I find it curious that they were unable to fit a second bottle cage in the front triangle - deal breaker for me.

Fully agree, they had a chance to add a bottle with this new model and they did not. I see many guys on the current model with a second bottle stuck in the jersey or a seatpost mounted bottle cage.

Shame really.

Jurgens Smit, Apr 13 2017 04:09

So what type of race does this bike target?

Is it meant for xco races? or marathon? Surely if it was marathon they could fit in a second bottle cage?

cbdcaffie, Apr 14 2017 12:22

Gross.