Tech

Specialized creates a complete aerodynamic ecosystem around new S-Works Venge

· By Press Office · 22 comments

Specialized Bicycle Components has always worked to provide riders with more than just new products, instead choosing to elevate the rider’s experience with technically advanced products that provide real-world performance benefits. To this end, Specialized built its very own Win Tunnel in 2013, and since then, has been pushing the limits of aerodynamic engineering and design. And now, Specialized is proud to introduce an aero ecosystem of five best-in-class products that, individually, lead their respective fields in aerodynamic advantage, but together, shatter the mold of aero possibility by saving the rider more than five minutes over forty kilometers.

ccs-62657-0-46698700-1435048397.jpg

S-WORKS VENGE ViAS: 120 Seconds Saved Over 40 Kilometers

Born in the Win Tunnel, every tube shape, trailing edge, and design cue of the S-Works Venge ViAS was made to be faster. It faced intense scrutiny during its development, leading to it being 120 seconds faster than a Tarmac SL4 over 40 kilometers. To achieve this, Specialized had to develop special headset bearings and spacers in order to internally house all cable routing and brake lines, which resulted in the elimination of anything being left exposed. Additionally, proprietary integrated brakes create the perfect blend of aerodynamics and power. There’s zero additional drag and best-in-class stopping power and modulation, with the front caliper completing the fork’s trailing edge, and the rear brake drafting off of the seat tube and bottles where wheel deflection is at its lowest.

ccs-62657-0-69026400-1435048411.jpg
ccs-62657-0-72680200-1435048427.jpg

Aerodynamic performance doesn’t come at the expense of fit, however. The Aerofly ViAS cockpit features a negative 17-degree stem in order to provide the optimal aerodynamic profile. And to balance out the aggressive position, the Aerofly handlebars feature a positive 25mm rise. The fork’s lateral rigidity has also been increased by 30% for sharper, more precise handling, while the frame and fork are both Rider-First EngineeredTM to ensure consistent performance, regardless of frame size.

S-WORKS EVADE HELMET: 46 Seconds Saved Over 40 Kilometers

ccs-62657-0-38132700-1435048439.jpg

The S-Works Evade helmet mimics the profile shape of Specialized’s S-Works McLaren TT helmet, drastically reducing aerodynamic drag. In fact, compared to a S-Works Prevail, the Evade saves 46 seconds over 40 kilometers. And to blend performance with comfort, the helmet features strategically positioned air vents that draw-in air around the head, channeling it out at the rear exhaust ports in order to create a cool microenvironment. Specialized also included its Trifix web splitter fit system, which is combined with a height adjustment and ultra-light Mindset micro-dial, to ensure that finding the perfect fit is intuitive, easily obtainable, and completely foolproof.

S-WORKS 6 SHOES: 35 Seconds Saved Over 40 Kilometers

The S-Works 6 shoes were scientifically tested by the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine to improve acceleration to peak power over its predecessor. It features a Powerline carbon outsole that’s asymmetrically optimized, and with a Stiffness Index rating of 13.0, it’s Specialized’s most rigid shoe offering. Complimenting this is an all- new PadLockTM heel that combines a drastically tapered, engineered heel cup with molded pads that lock the foot into place. Further promoting energy transfer to the pedals, portions of the upper are constructed from a non-stretch, aerospace-grade material, Dyneema® Cubic TechTM, that’s so lightweight and powerful that it’s literally used in parachutes to slow down spacecraft.

ccs-62657-0-74293200-1435048445.jpg
ccs-62657-0-77831500-1435048452.jpg
ccs-62657-0-02508700-1435048459.jpg

At the upper, Specialized utilized a one-piece Stroble construction method that eliminates the variables that contribute to fit abnormalities. There’s also a perforated synthetic microfiber that’s lightweight, durable, and highly breathable, plus a dual proprietary BOA® S2-Snap closure system for precise, secure closure.

S-WORKS EVADE GC SKINSUIT: 96 Seconds Saved Over 40 Kilometers

An imprecise fit results in fabric bunching, and this contributes to lost seconds. To remedy this, the S-Works Evade GC Skinsuit comes in eleven sizes in order to provide a next-to-custom level of fit. There are also cuff-less welded sleeve openings to further ensure enhanced aerodynamics, while Dimplex fabric at the shoulders features a dimpled texture, like that found on a golf ball, to significantly reduce pressure drag.

ccs-62657-0-90779600-1435048467.jpg

Specialized also developed a patent-pending shoulder construction that eliminates the need for seams, greatly enhancing the suit’s aerodynamic profile, comfort, and overall fit. Engineered woven fabric is also used selectively on the leg and back panels in order to decrease weight, while simultaneously increasing fatigue-reducing compression. And to further ensure the optimal blend of comfort and performance, the suit includes a full- length front zipper and Cold Fabric technology that reflects heat rays typically absorbed by dark colors in order to reduce surface temperatures.

CLX 64 WHEELS & S-WORKS TURBO TIRE: 44 Seconds Saved Over 40 Kilometers

The Roval CLX 64 wheelset and S-Works Turbo tire were jointly engineered in Specialized’s Win Tunnel, resulting in the fastest balance of aerodynamics and low rolling resistance ever created. In comparing rolling resistance alone, the S-Works Turbo tire has been proven to save 35 seconds over 40 kilometers versus its closest competitors, while compared to a standard aluminum wheelset, the CLX 64s are 44 seconds faster over 40 kilometers. And in a crosswind, they’re 104 seconds faster.

ccs-62657-0-68604400-1435048434.jpg

In terms of stability and traction, the 21mm tubeless-ready internal rim width further increases tire volume, in turn creating a larger contact patch. The wheels also utilize butted and bladed spokes, and Specialized also created its own proprietary hub shapes in order to achieve the best possible aerodynamic performance.

Visit the Specialized 5 Minutes website here for more information.

Related posts

Comments

Mongoose!

Jun 23, 2015, 8:49 AM

for sure the unfair advantage...lol

SwissVan

Jun 23, 2015, 8:59 AM

So the skin suit is the single biggest time saver after the complete bike.

Time to suck in that boep and buy one of those skin suit type tops, cheaper than buying a whole bike, wheel set

CrankShaft

Jun 23, 2015, 9:08 AM

With all these nice add ons in aero you could do that 40km in half an hour almost !

rock

Jun 23, 2015, 9:11 AM

might be faster but looks silly.

ride a bike with rounds metal tubes please.

well done to Spez for keeping people employed to sit in wind tunnels and play on computers though.

SwissVan

Jun 23, 2015, 9:11 AM

With all these nice add ons in aero you could do that 40km in half an hour almost !

Only if u ride in a wind tunnel

Shebeen

Jun 23, 2015, 9:24 AM

those numbers mean very little without an average speed.

LazyTrailRider

Jun 23, 2015, 9:46 AM

might be faster but looks silly.

ride a bike with rounds metal tubes please.

well done to Spez for keeping people employed to sit in wind tunnels and play on computers though.

Might be faster to ride a two-wheeled contraption with wheels, but looks silly.

Use your feet please.

Well done to bicycle manufacturers for keeping people employed to sit in a factory and play with that silly welding machine.

Long Wheel Base

Jun 23, 2015, 10:27 AM

Literally mind boggling. Spaceship parachute material in the shoes, Insane. And I thought sky was anal with their marginal gains.

SwissVan

Jun 23, 2015, 10:32 AM

Tis true

Many moons ago when TT bars became popular I read a report that said they only start making a noticeable difference at speeds higher than 32 km/h

Pure Savage

Jun 23, 2015, 10:40 AM

They called their wind tunnel a Win tunnel... Which saves 24 seconds over 40 kilometers.

leaboy

Jun 23, 2015, 12:26 PM

still an ugly bike IMO

rock

Jun 23, 2015, 12:41 PM

LBS will charge R900 in labour to replace a brake cable!

JohanC

Jun 23, 2015, 1:26 PM

I hope Sagan do a custom paint job on this machine. I like!

word

Jun 23, 2015, 1:39 PM

Haters gonna hate. I think the bike and helmet look awesome. You can keep the lace up shoes

Patchelicious

Jun 23, 2015, 1:52 PM

Or a wattage number.

Another thing to remember is that each of those savings are off the slow base. You can't keep subtracting little bits here and there until it hits 0mins to do 40km.

Biggest thing to remember is that these figures are not taking peloton riding into account. If you like TTs well go buy one, but there is a reason most guys in the pro pelaton still opt for the Tarmac. Even though I'm sure there is tons of pressure to ride the more marketable "faster" bikes.

The thing is, that these "numbers" are very marketable because they are definable. Much like weight. You can measure it there for the better the number the better the bike.... Well to the marketers at least :)

It's like Spez and the Evade helmet thing at the Epic, yes absolutely it saves time, you can prove it! but in proportion to a good nights rest? A good energy bar? A decent dump? It's all relative :)

I'm sure the irritation of riding without chamois cream would have made Kulhavey slower than if he rode wth a normal Prevail helmet :P

Muzzarati

Jun 23, 2015, 1:59 PM

So if you have enough specialized product on you'd be able to do a 40km in -32.5seconds?

T-Bob

Jun 23, 2015, 2:00 PM

Gotta love spez... can't buy a bike now you have to buy an entire eco system. Your old stuff is redundant, it's dead, it's making you slow so get this it's the newest, next best, thing for your amateur, fun riding or maybe Cat racing level. You need it, this changes everything! 

I actually love to look of the bike! Looks mean. 

Eldron

Jun 23, 2015, 2:16 PM

Strong my bullshizzle meter is mmmmm.

Pretty meaningless marketing drivel - cool looking and hyper expensive but form over function in my opinion.

Aerodynamic ecosystem? Dear lord what is next? An integrated hypoenergetic airfow remodelling quantum system?

I prefer my marketing nice and simple like....pedal damnit!

Maniax

Jun 23, 2015, 2:48 PM

Probably one of the ugliest, most beautiful bikes ever made.... 

Nibali

Jun 23, 2015, 2:54 PM

This bike is making me weak at the knees :drool:

How are you expected to ride it damnit!!

Patchelicious

Jun 23, 2015, 3:27 PM

This bike is making me weak at the knees :drool:

How are you expected to ride it damnit!!

Maybe that is why Contador is always out of the saddle ;)
Mylolylo

Jul 6, 2015, 10:54 AM

I'm sure all the weekend warriors with really deep pockets are busy working out how much closer this will get them to a sub-3 argus... haha

Add a comment

You must log in to comment