Tech

Specialized recall MY16 Venge ViAS S-Works and Pro level frames

· By Press Office · 16 comments

We are voluntarily recalling all MY16 Venge ViAS S-Works and Pro level frames in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (“CPSC”).

ccs-62657-0-80681200-1476251720.jpegMY16 Venge ViAS Pro.

AFFECTED MODELS: All Model Year 2016 Venge ViAS frames with rim brakes. This includes S-Works and Pro level frames sold as complete bikes and/or modules and all warranty frames.

WHAT IS THE ISSUE: Specialized has received isolated reports from the field of the rear wheel coming out of the rear dropouts, which can cause fractures in the rear triangle. When this happens, there is a risk of injury as a rider may lose control and fall.

WHAT WILL SPECIALIZED DO FOR AFFECTED VENGE ViAS RIDERS: Please stop using your bike and bring it to your nearest Authorized Specialized Retailer for a free installation of a new rear derailleur hanger. The new improved hanger will prevent the rear wheel from coming out of the dropouts. Your Authorized Specialized Retailer will also do a free inspection of your rear triangle. Please also review the owner’s manual addendum sent with this notice.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

For questions, please contact your Authorized Specialized Retailer or Rider Care at supportsa@specialized.com.

Related posts

Comments

Adriandup

Oct 12, 2016, 6:25 AM

Any chance they have the same issue with the 2013/2014 Stumpjumper? This is exactly what happened to me & cracked the rear triangle.

Ttocs

Oct 12, 2016, 7:05 AM

Good Luck getting your warranty resolved, its only been 4 months since I sent the Specialized Flux lights back to Specialized as per a product recall.

Their back up service and honouring world wide warranties in RSA is pathetic.

nonky

Oct 12, 2016, 7:45 AM

Any chance they have the same issue with the 2013/2014 Stumpjumper? This is exactly what happened to me & cracked the rear triangle.

I would try my luck with Spez SA and ask them nicely...

nonky

Oct 12, 2016, 7:53 AM

Good Luck getting your warranty resolved, its only been 4 months since I sent the Specialized Flux lights back to Specialized as per a product recall.

I propose sending a complaint to Spez USA directly thru their website - they responded to my msg in minutes.

badiejb

Oct 12, 2016, 7:59 AM

Hi Ttocs. Could you send me an email johan.badenhorst@specialized.com 

I would love to better understand your situation and help resolve it. 

Thank you.

Ttocs

Oct 12, 2016, 9:20 AM

I propose sending a complaint to Spez USA directly thru their website - they responded to my msg in minutes.

Headshot

Oct 12, 2016, 10:06 AM

Interesting issue. So the brake position on the seat tube causes a force acting in a direction that can cause the wheel to pop out the drop outs? Probably only happens if the QR is not as tight as it could be perhaps...

Tjokkits

Oct 12, 2016, 3:19 PM

so now i wonder if spez will honor the recall if one bought the bike secondhand.  coz i see one of them in classifieds

JXV

Oct 12, 2016, 3:41 PM

Interesting issue. So the brake position on the seat tube causes a force acting in a direction that can cause the wheel to pop out the drop outs? Probably only happens if the QR is not as tight as it could be perhaps...

Did a quick force diagram and can't see how positioning the brakes on seat tube would cause the wheel to want to jump down out of the dropouts. brakes are almost in the optimum position for forcing the axle up into dropouts....as long as you are moving forwards when you apply brakes [emoji48]

What it does do is put a big compressive load onto the seatstays whereas normally with brakes mounted on the seatstay you would get a downward force (shear) that is perpendicular to the seatstay and will try to bend it.

So the seat tube brake are pushing the stays along their length towards the seat and toptube where normal rim brakes would cause a bending moment on the seatstay. These two designs would presumably need different carbon layups for best strength at the joint....maybe a designer or fabricator was sleeping......

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

no calves

Oct 13, 2016, 5:03 AM

so now i wonder if spez will honor the recall if one bought the bike secondhand.  coz i see one of them in classifieds

According to FOX (who is recalling some rear shocks) its illegal to resell a recalled product

"Consumers should immediately stop using this product unless otherwise instructed. Retailers, distributors, and OEM customers should hold this product and stop sales and distribution until further instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product."

On PINKBIKE this morning

lerouc

Oct 13, 2016, 5:56 AM

According to FOX (who is recalling some rear shocks) its illegal to resell a recalled product

"Consumers should immediately stop using this product unless otherwise instructed. Retailers, distributors, and OEM customers should hold this product and stop sales and distribution until further instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product."

On PINKBIKE this morning

maybe in the americas...

no calves

Oct 13, 2016, 6:03 AM

maybe in the americas...

Wilder as die Wildtuin hierso

Headshot

Oct 13, 2016, 9:19 AM

Did a quick force diagram and can't see how positioning the brakes on seat tube would cause the wheel to want to jump down out of the dropouts. brakes are almost in the optimum position for forcing the axle up into dropouts....as long as you are moving forwards when you apply brakes [emoji48]

What it does do is put a big compressive load onto the seatstays whereas normally with brakes mounted on the seatstay you would get a downward force (shear) that is perpendicular to the seatstay and will try to bend it.

So the seat tube brake are pushing the stays along their length towards the seat and toptube where normal rim brakes would cause a bending moment on the seatstay. These two designs would presumably need different carbon layups for best strength at the joint....maybe a designer or fabricator was sleeping......

Thanks, interesting. So what Spaz are saying doesn't make too much sense if we look at the forces at play. They are saying the wheel pops out and then the rear triangle breaks. Sounds like it may be the other way around. Unless of course it has nothing to do with the brake at all...

Reading it again, they say its just the hanger side that is replaced in the recall. Perhaps it was just not up to the task and fractured leading to the rear wheel falling out...

JXV

Oct 13, 2016, 9:28 AM

Thanks, interesting. So what Spaz are saying doesn't make too much sense if we look at the forces at play. They are saying the wheel pops out and then the rear triangle breaks. Sounds like it may be the other way around. Unless of course it has nothing to do with the brake at all...

Not sure the exact mechanism of the failures. I am only saying that positioning the brakes on seat tube does not (to me) create forces that would make the wheel jump downwards out of the dropouts. I doubt the brake positioning is the root cause.

Showtime

Oct 13, 2016, 9:34 AM

I don't see anywhere in the article where it says the brake position is the cause? 

Headshot

Oct 13, 2016, 11:36 AM

I don't see anywhere in the article where it says the brake position is the cause? 

Correct but it is only the top models with brakes attached to the seat tube that are affected. The 2017 versions have disk brakes by the look of it. The unaffected 2016 models have brakes mounted in the usual place. That's what got me wondering.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment