Tech

Strava Live Segments come to Wahoo’s ELEMNT GPS bike computer

· By Press Office · 9 comments

Wahoo Fitness, the leader in workout apps and smartphone connected fitness devices, has just announced the integration of Strava Live Segments within its ELEMNT GPS cycling computer.

Strava is easily authenticated on the ELEMNT, by simply starring a segment on Strava.com. Then, whenever a starred segment is encountered on a ride, the ELEMNT will then bring up a dedicated Strava Live Segment page showing segment progress, distance remaining, as well as the segment’s full elevation profile. Additionally, the Strava Live Segment page can be customized via the ELEMNT companion app to display other key metrics such as power and heart rate.

ccs-62657-0-55377400-1470341339.jpeg
ccs-62657-0-22759700-1470341336.jpeg

“We’re very proud of how we were able to implement Strava Live Segments on the ELEMNT,” said Chip Hawkins, CEO of Wahoo Fitness. “Taking full advantage of the ELEMNT’s unique user interface, we were able to offer an incredible amount of functionality and an enhanced user experience using the Strava Live Segments feature.”

When riding a Strava Live Segment, the ELEMNT’s LEDs also lend a hand to riders searching for that KOM or personal best. The top row of LEDs indicate a rider’s progress within the segment, lighting up sequentially, while the side row of LEDs indicate the whether the rider is over or under the pace for the KOM, their personal best, or the pace of a pre-selected opponent.

The ELEMNT is also capable of tracking multiple Strava Live Segments simultaneously, as well as while following a route (with or without turn-by-turn cues), a feature unmatched by the competition.

When a rider enters the final 200m of a segment and is within 2 seconds of their target (KOM, personal best or opponent), a helpful ‘Final Push’ page takes over the display to alert and motivate the rider. Once the segment is completed, a segment history page allows riders to review all Strava Live Segments ridden up to that point in the ride, rather than having to wait until the ride is finished to see how they performed.

ccs-62657-0-37565700-1470341346.gif
ccs-62657-0-07097900-1470341344.gif

ELEMNT units will be updated with the new Strava Live Segments feature via an ‘over-the-air’ firmware update and riders will be able to install the firmware with the press of a button, either within the companion app or directly on the ELEMNT. An updated companion app is also available for download on both iOS and Android platforms.

Designed by cyclists, for cyclists, the ELEMNT packs ANT+, Bluetooth Smart, and WiFi connectivity that allows riders to easily view key ride metrics, navigate a route, track fellow riders’ locations in real-time as well as receive en-route call, text and email notifications—all on it’s large-format, high-contrast DayBright display. Engineered to transform the way people experience and interact with their ride data, the ELEMNT streamlines the user experience and drastically simplifies the setup process, allowing riders to put the focus back on their ride, providing a seamless connection between the rider and their data.

“Cyclists on Strava are increasingly using Live Segments to bring some extra motivation to their rides,” said David Lorsch, Strava VP Strategy & Business Development. “We’re excited that Wahoo is now adding Live Segments to the ELEMNT and bringing them to even more Strava members.”

The use of Strava Live Segments requires a Strava Premium membership. If a customer is not already a Strava Premium member, a free 60-day premium membership is included in the purchase of each ELEMNT.

The ELEMNT retails for R5,999 and is currently available for purchase at wahoofitness.co.za and authorized local dealers.

Related posts

Comments

WahooliganZA

Aug 5, 2016, 7:15 AM

Love it!

dirtypot

Aug 5, 2016, 7:19 AM

I seriously love the fact that they bring out updates like this and don't just wait for a new unit to come out.  It's really impressive!  

Rocket-Boy

Aug 5, 2016, 7:19 AM

The biggest mess with live segments is that you need Strava premium which was discussed in another thread with regards to the stupidly high price increase.

Christian van Zyl

Aug 5, 2016, 7:31 AM

The biggest mess with live segments is that you need Strava premium which was discussed in another thread with regards to the stupidly high price increase.

I agree, it is quite a premium price. You get a 60 day premium subscription with your ELEMNT, but it might only be enough to get you excited. 

I guess Strava has bills to pay too... 

typhoon

Aug 5, 2016, 7:44 AM

I agree, it is quite a premium price. You get a 60 day premium subscription with your ELEMNT, but it might only be enough to get you excited. 

I guess Strava has bills to pay too... 

The thing with Strava Premium is you need to get it via their website, where it's R499, the in-app purchase is R1199  :whistling:

Live Segments are awesome but it does interfere with "easy" rides...  :blush:  :ph34r:

Rudi Pollard

Aug 5, 2016, 7:57 AM

Live segments is a very nifty little feature, but I am at the point where I want to switch it off. It works fine on long drags or road sections, but on tight twisty technical MTB segments I get the "off-segment" message about 9 times out of 10 on my Edge 520.

This is also about the only feature I use from Strava Premium, as strava's fitness trackers, power analysis etc are useless compared to Trainingpeaks and WKO4. Strava's fitness graph in the premium feature only looks at cycling and ignores any other activities. Pretty useless if you cross train.

My strava premium will not be renewed in 2017...

On another note, the ELEMNT seems like a feature packed device but I won't buy it simple due to its size. It is about the size of a Nokia 5110!!!

JohanH

Aug 5, 2016, 7:58 AM

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/wahoo-element-gps-bike-computer

R5000 if you buy from CWC.

Christian van Zyl

Aug 5, 2016, 8:14 AM

The thing with Strava Premium is you need to get it via their website, where it's R499, the in-app purchase is R1199  :whistling:

Live Segments are awesome but it does interfere with "easy" rides...  :blush:  :ph34r:

Good to know! Apple's share is probably the biggest inflator on the in app pricing. 

Spoke101

Aug 5, 2016, 8:55 AM

We should just all chip in for a group account. Then everyone pays R100 and 10 people get the login details in order to download the segment GPX files. They can also upload rides if they really want the power analysis etc.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment