Bike Check: James Reid's Olympic Specialized S-Works Epic

We managed to squeeze in some snaps of James's Specialized S-Works Epic Torch Edition between the time team mechanic JP Jacobs completed the build and James Reid picked up the bike before leaving for Rio.

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-1.jpg

Along with some other Specialized supported riders, James will be riding the S-Works Epic FSR Torch Edition frame at the Rio Olympics. The Torch edition is so named as it changes colour from orange to yellow when the frame materials reach 22 degrees, mimicking a flickering flame during the transition.

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-10.jpg

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-24.jpg

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-26.jpg

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-34.jpg

JP has fitted a brand new 2017 RockShox SID World Cup fork with Specialized's Brain technology replacing the new Charger Damper system. The new fork makes use of Torque caps which makes use of a larger contact area where the end caps meet the fork dropouts the bond stronger and the wheel stiffer . The only problem is that these Torque caps are not readily available for non Boost applications. JP wasn't having any of this and went and had the correct sized caps machined so that James's bike could take advantage of this new feature. The shock is Specialized's custom Fox FutureShock paired with a Brain inertia valve placed on the non-driveside chainstay. James prefers the firmer S-Tune on the shock which allows him to run lower pressures.

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-14.jpg

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-9.jpg

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-36.jpg

Despite SRAM sending James an XX1 Eagle 12-speed drivetrain, James has opted to stick with the 11-speed XX1. One reason is that he is familiar with the set up after racing on it all season, the other is that his ROTOR crankset, chainring and power meter are not yet compatible with the 12-speed technology. James is somewhat of a data geek and relies on the information his power meter provides during races.

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-12.jpg

In the cockpit the S-Works theme continues, with a S-Work carbon handlebar and seatpost as well as an S-Works Power saddle. James rides his bike slammed with a negative 17 degree 110 mm Specialized stem. The grips are the silicone type made by Supacaz.

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-13.jpg

JP is a perfectionist and where he can he will try to eke out every little last ounce of performance. He uses lighter grease on the bearings to improve their performance, especially in the suspension and wheels. He admits that it does not make a good long term solution but he strips the race bikes so regularly that it never becomes a problem. So do not try this at home people. Lighter titanium bolts are used where possible like on the disc rotors and pinch bolts. In other cases, JP drills a hole down the centre of the bolt to reduce weight, he also shaves off any unnecessary length. Things like the headset cap bolt which come on and off the bike regularly are left with more durable materials to avoid breaking and stripping.

Specialized Epic Torch - James Reid-35.jpg

Full specification:

• FrameS-Works Epic FSR Torch Edition
  • Fork2017 RockShox SID World Cup with Brain
  • ShockFOX/Specialized remote Mini Brain
  • HeadsetFSA
  • CranksetROTOR REX1
  • ChainringROTOR QX1 32T 76BCD
  • Bottom bracketCeramicSpeed
  • Stem S-Works 110 mm, negative 17 degree
  • SeatpostS-Works Carbon
  • HandlebarS-Works Carbon 750 mm
  • Rear derailleurSRAM XX1
  • BrakesSRAM Level Ultimate
  • ShiftersSRAM XX1
  • SaddleS-Works Power Saddle 143 mm
  • RimsRoval Control SL 29
  • HubsRoval with DT Swiss internals
  • CassetteSRAM XX1
  • Front tyreS-Works Fast Trak 29 x 2.2
  • Rear tyreS-Works Renegade 29 x 1.95
  • GripsSupacaz Siliconez SL
  • Bottle cageSpecialized Zee Cage

94 Comments

Nick, Aug 17 2016 07:10

Yes it would, it would indeed.

Pity about him not racing in Europe like our leading ladies but still getting to go to Rio. Real swak of CSA.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly, James raced in La Bresse, Albstadt, Nove Mesto and Lenzerheide.

South African women did not accumulate enough points to qualify for the Olympics.

Rocket-Boy, Aug 17 2016 07:17

A modern design would have the shock mounted vertically with the seat tube.

Now I see where you get your username from.

DJuice, Aug 17 2016 07:18

Nick please see if you can't get a few picture's of Alan's custom Giant.
Green and gold with SA flag on rear stays.

Bizkit031, Aug 17 2016 07:30

If I recall correctly, James raced in La Bresse, Albstadt, Nove Mesto and Lenzerheide.
South African women did not accumulate enough points to qualify for the Olympics.

Our woman are unfortunately not as strong as those euro chicks,they are like bloody machines.

danger dassie, Aug 17 2016 07:30

Yes it would, it would indeed.

Pity about him not racing in Europe like our leading ladies but still getting to go to Rio. Real swak of CSA.

Actually James Reid raced a few World Cups and UCI events internationally. 
Going to the Olympics is determined by the nation's UCI ranking with top nations qualifying for 3, 2 or 1 spots.
With our ranking South Africa qualified to send 2 (possibly 3 originally, but thanks to Rourke) men to Olympics but fell just outside of the ranking to qualify sending any women.
From there, SASCOC and CSA set the criteria to select riders for Olympics. That's a topic in itself. 

Attached Images

• Screen shot 2016-08-17 at 7.28.48 PM.png

Mntboy, Aug 17 2016 07:38

Mmmmm then the ladies placed better than he did. Even with taking the smaller field into account. No doubt he has talent and I hope he does well at the Olympics.

Regarding the Ladies: based on my understanding their racing program had been based that one of them would in fact qualify through one of them winning the Continental title. And their cause wasn't helped by Mariske Strauss being injured. That said CSA still has a responsibility to ensure that all their athletes aiming for international honours especially Olympic selection needs to know what the qualification process is and to inform them of any changes in that process. And this didn't happen it appears. Mariske, in particular, and Cherie both deserve better than that seeing as they've made the effort to get on a European based team and be racing in European races including the world cups. It just doesn't seem right that one of them couldn't go because of administrative ineptitude.

Mntboy, Aug 17 2016 08:07

Actually James Reid raced a few World Cups and UCI events internationally.
Going to the Olympics is determined by the nation's UCI ranking with top nations qualifying for 3, 2 or 1 spots.
With our ranking South Africa qualified to send 2 (possibly 3 originally, but thanks to Rourke) men to Olympics but fell just outside of the ranking to qualify sending any women.
From there, SASCOC and CSA set the criteria to select riders for Olympics. That's a topic in itself.

Re James Reid see my reply to Nick.

Re the qualification process, We could qualify a rider through a high placing in the Continental Championship. CSA and Sascoc for one reason or another decided against using this as a way to qualify a rider. And from what has transpired this doesn't appear to have communicated to the ladies.

Nick, Aug 17 2016 08:40

Yes, we'll have something about Alan's bike very soon.

Spoke101, Aug 18 2016 12:46

Here's a little sneak peak for you:

FB_IMG_1471516651720.jpg

Monark, Aug 18 2016 12:49

Dare I say that the Giant looks better...

johnson, Aug 18 2016 01:27

Dare I say that the Giant looks better...

It's not Friday yet................But I'll dare as well !

Patchelicious, Aug 18 2016 01:53

This is the guy who did it...

https://www.instagra...m/carbon_ninja/

notmyname, Aug 18 2016 02:03

This is the guy who did it...

https://www.instagra...m/carbon_ninja/

https://www.instagra..._zQ5hG1H_ZYCU0/

Why make the account private?

Skinnyone, Aug 18 2016 02:56

I wonder if Giant will honor the warranty...? :ph34r: Being resprayed and all... :blink:

Patchelicious, Aug 18 2016 03:30

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1471516651720.jpg

Looking at it like that, can one not put a second bottle cage on the underside of the top tube in this frame?

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem, Aug 18 2016 03:32

Looking at it like that, can one not put a second bottle cage on the underside of the top tube in this frame?

you could if you reeeeaally wanted to, but I don't see why you would unless you're doing marathon racing and don't have a pack. 

Iwan Kemp, Aug 18 2016 03:47

You could, yes. There is an aftermarket jimmy product, but it doesn't look neat. There are other ways to do this, but it will void warranty. Having just ridden the Pyga Stage and Stage Max I would say they are great options.

Patchelicious, Aug 18 2016 04:02

You could, yes. There is an aftermarket jimmy product, but it doesn't look neat. There are other ways to do this, but it will void warranty. Having just ridden the Pyga Stage and Stage Max I would say they are great options.

That blue one, with the black RS1..... BONER!! ... the 120mm fork might also be good for me. http://www.pygaindus...com/frame/stage

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it and move on, before I get modded again.

Mntboy, Aug 18 2016 05:36

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1471516651720.jpg

That's how an Olympic paint job should look. So classy.