Tech

Bike Check: Johann Rabie’s Merida Ninety-Six Team

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 12 comments

Johann Rabie does it all. He’s a former road professional, now riding as mountain biker for Team Telkom, and in between being a pro he owns a successful bike shop in Malmesbury. There is much we could talk to Johann about but for this feature it’s all about his bike, a Merida Ninety-Six Team.

Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 1.jpg

The Ninety-Six Team is Merida’s full carbon professional level marathon and cross-country 29er race weapon.

Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 10.jpg

Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 11.jpg
Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 9.jpg
Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 16.jpg

Johann’s cockpit is a touch on the busy side. He likes to have control over the fork and shock lockouts separately meaning he runs two remote lockout levers. The cable clutter is short lived as the Merida’s internal routing cleans it up as soon as it reaches the frame. Johann’s brake lever position is fairly aggressive, pointing them almost directly towards the ground. The stock stem was a bit too slammed for Johann’s preference, so he has fitted a KCNC stem that better suits his riding position.

Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 5.jpg
Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 8.jpg

Johann has an rather extreme position for his Fizik Aliante saddle. He says it helps him get a more aggressive position over the pedals.

Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 14.jpg

Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 3.jpg
Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 13.jpg
Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 12.jpg
Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 6.jpg
Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 7.jpg

Johann’s Merida is kitted out with a full suite of SRAM products. A RS-1 fork and Monarch XX shock from RockShox do suspension duty. The drivetrain is full SRAM XX1 with Johann preferring a 34 tooth chainring. He uses a Stages power meter that feeds data to his Garmin computer. Stopping is covered by a pair of SRAM Guide Ultimate brakes.

Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 2.jpg
Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 15.jpg

For his wheels, Johann trusts local carbon rim manufacturer South Industries, paired with DT Swiss hubs. In races, he usually rides with a Continental X-King (front) and Race King (rear) tyre combination which provides a level of reliability instead of going full weight weenie. After all, you have to finish the race to win it.

Johann Rabie Merida Ninety Six 17.jpg

Full specifications:

• FrameMerida Nintey-Six Team
  • ForkRockShox RS-1
  • ShockRockShox Monarch XX
  • RimsSouth Industries
  • Hubs and SpokesDT Swiss
  • TyresContinental X-King 2.2
  • HandlebarPRC 720 mm
  • Stem KCNC 6 degree
  • HeadsetMerida / FSA
  • BrakesSRAM Guide Ultimate
  • ShiftersSRAM XX1
  • DerailleurSRAM XX1
  • CassetteSRAM XX1
  • CranksSRAM XX1 with Stages Power crank
  • ChainringSRAM XX1 34T
  • ChainSRAM XX1
  • Bottom BracketSRAM
  • PedalsLook S-Track
  • SeatpostPRC
  • SaddleFizik Aliante
  • ComputerGarmin
  • Bottle CagesLezyne
  • GripsESI Extra Chunky

Comments

CASSIE1975

Sep 30, 2016, 6:17 AM

:thumbup: WOW...Johan, once you have enjoyed this beaut to it's limit...PLEASE PASS IT ON TO ME  :clap:

Thank you  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:

xcd

Sep 30, 2016, 6:29 AM

What does this baby cost ???

Popit

Sep 30, 2016, 6:37 AM

Don't think you get much change from R100k ....

I wonder what the weight is ..... Looks light and fast .

Pure Savage

Sep 30, 2016, 7:49 AM

Looks stunning! I spent a minute trying to work out how I would grab the brakes!

NelAndre

Sep 30, 2016, 8:11 AM

Pwhoaar....what a sexy bike.

Nick

Sep 30, 2016, 8:27 AM

Looks stunning! I spent a minute trying to work out how I would grab the brakes!

With your thumbs?

NicoBoshoff

Sep 30, 2016, 8:36 AM

Ja, jeez, what's the idea with those brake levers?  Out of the saddle riding all the time?

CASSIE1975

Sep 30, 2016, 8:51 AM

Ja, jeez, what's the idea with those brake levers?  Out of the saddle riding all the time?

Also the reason for the aggressive saddle position...Just B@lls to the wall from start to finish  :eek:

BIKE ADDICT

Sep 30, 2016, 11:59 AM

The XL hanging here in the shop with Look S-Track pedals on is 10,9 kg.

R 75 000

Sitting slip

Oct 1, 2016, 1:49 PM

professional level bike.. new kind of grading?

Patchelicious

Oct 1, 2016, 2:30 PM

Can you buy a Merida in a Sworks version?

MEYER1

Oct 1, 2016, 5:23 PM

Worth visiting his shop in Malmesbury. You will be surprise with the amount of stock there is.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment