Bike Check: Theo Erlangsen's YT Industries TUES

Last month, Theo Erlangsen won the 2018 South African Downhill Championships at Hartbeespoort besting a stacked field of former champions and up and coming hopefuls. When not racing Theo also displays some insane freeride skills on his YT TUES including some huge air at the recent DarkFEST.

Take a look at South Africa's fastest bike along with Theo's own insight on his equipment choices below.

Bike Check-22.JPG

Theo rides a carbon fibre YT Industries TUES. A successful racing bike, seeing its second consecutive SA Champs win (last year under Pottie) and a number of World Cup wins by Aaron Gwinn.

Bike Check-4.JPG

The Trails Crew. A passionate group of riders who spend their time building and shredding trails around the Cape. If you haven't heard of them, it's definitely worth checking out their work. And some motivation to "SEND IT!!" on the top cap from the guys at cSixx.

Bike Check-14.JPGConverted from coil to air.

Bike Check-13.JPGThe winning number.

Bike Check-7.JPGEvidence of a trip to Morzine.

Bike Check-23.JPG

Theo has converted his RockShox BoXXer fork from a coil to an air spring to get his preferred feel. He enjoys his shock, a RockShox Vivid, to be coil spring for better small bump sensitivity and to avoid overheating on rowdier trails.

Bike Check-16.JPG

Bike Check-18.JPG

Bike Check-9.JPG

The drivetrain is a bit of a mix and match. A SRAM X0 derailleur conducts gear changes across a 10-speed cassette via a SRAM X9 shifter. An E-Thirteen LG1 Plus crankset with a 36 tooth chainring is powered by Shimano DX pedals. A cSixx 9 Gravity Guide keeps the chain in check.

Bike Check-5.JPG

Bike Check-21.JPG

Theo is particular about his braking, prefering the tried and tested Avid Code brake set to SRAM's newer Guide brakes.

Bike Check-8.JPG

Bike Check-2.JPG

For South African Champs, Theo fitted Maxxis's DHR II tyres front and back. He elected to go with the downhill casing variants for better puncture resistance on the rocky Hartbeespoort track with cSixx FOAMO inserts to further prevent snakebites and rim damage. While Theo does prefer carbon wheels, he rode these trusty aluminium DT Swiss YT 2020's at SA Champs with great success.

Specifications

• FrameYT TUES CF
  • ForkRockShox BoXXer
  • ShockRockShox Vivid
  • WheelsetDT Swiss YT 2020
  • TyresMaxxis DHR II
  • ShifterSRAM X9
  • Rear DerailleurSRAM X0 DH
  • ChainguidecSixx 9 Gravity Guide
  • Cranksete-Thirteen LG1 Plus with 36T chainring
  • Cassette SRAM PG-1070
  • ChainSRAM 10-Speed
  • SaddleSDG I-Spy
  • HandlebarRaceface Atlas
  • GripsODI Ruffian
  • StemRaceface Atlas
  • BrakesAvid Code with 200mm rotors

7 Comments

Headshot, May 02 2018 12:27

Interesting insights, thanks. Agree on the DX pedals  - it would be great if they could be serviced. My first pair still works but have a bent axle and the left side is worn leading to unintentional one footers on jumps sometimes. They have been through a lot though. 

popcorn_skollie, May 02 2018 02:27

Yoh! thats gorgeous.

I'd love to see one with a black 40 slapped on.

Eddy Gordo, May 02 2018 02:36

10speed DH Rig!!!

Zoids, May 02 2018 05:06

Can you do a review on Boogies, Backpackers & good old De Laps next?

Also... You’re my hero & I want your babies.

James29, May 02 2018 09:35

Can you do a review on Boogies, Backpackers & good old De Laps next?

Also... You’re my hero & I want your babies.

Going to be hard to get those reviews out, the athlete is usually blackout before the bars are even open. 

James29, May 02 2018 09:38

Q: How stiff do you run your fork when you're "Hitting the Big Gilrs"?

Calculus Bikes, May 04 2018 04:57

Fun read, great to see such insight into the detail and design of your bike as more than the sum of its parts!