Bikes of the Epic: Cadel Evans's BMC Fourstroke

The attraction of the Absa Cape Epic is growing. The participation of 2011 Tour de France winner Cadel Evans and his trusty super-domestique George Hincapie is testament to this. The pair are not here simply to make up the numbers and are currently sitting in a respectable third place in the highly competitive Masters category.

Cadel Evans BMC Fourstroke Cape Epic Bike Check Hero.jpg

Cadel's BMC Fourstroke features a full Shimano XTR Di2 drivetrain with a XTR brakeset. Perhaps it's Cadel's roadie preference but he has gone with the bigger 38-26 chainring configuration.

Cadel Evans BMC Fourstroke Cape Epic Bike Check 11.jpg

Cadel Evans BMC Fourstroke Cape Epic Bike Check 4.jpg

Cadel Evans BMC Fourstroke Cape Epic Bike Check 5.jpg

Complementing the Di2 drivetrain is a Fox iRD suspension system with remotely actuated electronic lockout. In this case, it's a 32 SC fork and Float EVOL shock both from the glossy Kashima coated Factory Series. Among the many benefits, the system makes use of a very tidy lockout lever.

Cadel Evans BMC Fourstroke Cape Epic Bike Check 7.jpg

Cadel Evans BMC Fourstroke Cape Epic Bike Check 6.jpg

Cadel Evans BMC Fourstroke Cape Epic Bike Check 10.jpg

In the late 90s, Cadel won back-to-back World Cup cross-country mountain bike titles. Back then mountain bike cockpits still mimicked what was being ridden on the road with long stems and narrow handlebars. Today, Cadel seems to still prefer this formula on his mountain bike with a 640 millimeter handlebar and 110 millimeter long stem.

Cadel Evans BMC Fourstroke Cape Epic Bike Check 9.jpg

Cadel Evans BMC Fourstroke Cape Epic Bike Check 8.jpg

Cadel Evans BMC Fourstroke Cape Epic Bike Check 13.jpg

The Cape Epic traverses rugged terrain and tyres are definitely not something worth trying to cut corners with. It seems Cadel and George got the memo and have fitted reliable Vittoria Saguaro tyres.

Specification list:

• FrameBMC Fourstroke 01 (Medium)
  • Rear ShockFox Float EVOL iRD
  • ForkFox 32 SC iRD
  • Stem3T ARX Team 110mm
  • HandlebarBMC Carbon 640mm
  • GripsESI Chunky
  • SaddleFizik Antares
  • Seatpost3T Stylus Team
  • BrakesShimano XTR
  • RotorsShimano RT-99
  • ShifterShimano XTR Di2
  • Front DerailleurShimano XTR Di2
  • Rear DerailleurShimano XTR Di2
  • CassetteShimano XTR
  • ChainShimano XTR
  • CrankShimano XTR
  • ChainringShimano XTR 38-26
  • WheelsetDT Swiss 1200
  • TyresVittoria Saguaro
  • Bottle CageElite
  • Bar end plugsSahmurai Sword

14 Comments

robsc, Mar 22 2017 09:01

Love this feature . Please show us more "Bikes of the Epic" 

Nick, Mar 22 2017 09:10

Thanks! We've got a lot more to come.

TheJ, Mar 22 2017 11:38

Not sure what they mean with "Cadel still prefers this formula" with 640mm bars. The handlebars on my 29er come from a 26er I used to race from the mid 90's and it was a 560mm bar, uncut. So Cadel never used to ride 640mm bars, probably used the same as what I have on my 29er now, 560-570mm.

Shebeen, Mar 22 2017 11:51

Evans_MTB_373w.jpg

from here http://www.nma.gov.a...ling_collection

Cannondale CAAD 4 hardtail mountain bike ridden by Cadel Evans during the 1998 and 1999 world cup events. The frame was custom painted to reflect Cadel’s overall win (blue) and his victory in the under-23 age category (red). National Museum of Australia. Photo: George Serras.

Shebeen, Mar 22 2017 11:53

this is from Cuddles bedtime collection. (get the voice right first before reading)

When you have a good day mountain biking … it is close to the feeling of flying. With an uninterrupted path of single-track it can seem like you’re floating through a forest. The rush of constant sound, like the wind past your ears, is amplified by the noise generated by wide tyres on the terrain; it drums out of beat at times to the thud of tree roots, rocks and all else that litters the way. And then comes the contributions from the body. The pulse of breath and heart – both rising from surges of adrenaline and effort – add to a soundtrack on this simple machine and you’re in nature’s playground. You float … drift … sweep. Through turns you delve deeper into the path ahead, diving around the next turn and into the unknown.

Admin, Mar 22 2017 11:55

Not sure what they mean with "Cadel still prefers this formula" with 640mm bars. The handlebars on my 29er come from a 26er I used to race from the mid 90's and it was a 560mm bar, uncut. So Cadel never used to ride 640mm bars, probably used the same as what I have on my 29er now, 560-570mm.

What is meant is that by common standards today he runs a relatively narrow bar and long stem. By no means exactly what he rode back then, but following a "narrower bar / longer stem" formula perhaps stemming from those 90s standards he'd be more familiar with on a mountain bike.

Chain-L, Mar 22 2017 02:05

Bike weight would be interesting...

scotty, Mar 22 2017 02:32

Stunning, only thing I have in common on my bike are the tyres. 

Baracuda, Mar 22 2017 02:44

Best part of the Eric really.

Mongoose!, Mar 22 2017 03:32

Cannondale SI next please? :whistling:

Dieter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), Mar 22 2017 05:16

Best part of the Eric really.

Ah the Absalon Craig Eric?

madbradd, Mar 22 2017 08:31

This one and the Centurion... Rule #26 (and #40 for Cadel's mechanics)

C'mon guys, these are beautiful bikes. Don't take pics of them chewing with their mouth open!

eugenele, Mar 23 2017 03:35

I have the same bike just without the Di2. What a bike, it's Epic (Excuse the punt)

Q1977, Mar 26 2017 11:06

Drop the Di2 with its 2x drive train and battery (save weight) for 1 x SRAM XX1 eagle, and change fork to tried & trusted Rockshoxx SID World Cup and that's my dream machine.