Oli is riding the Blur CC frame, the CC refers to Santa Cruz's higher-grade carbon frame which uses fewer pieces and is therefore lighter than the more affordable Blur C frame.
Oli's bike is largely similar to the X01 Reserve specification retail model, with some tweaks here and there. One such deviation is the Factory Series 32 Step-Cast fork, where a customer would get the Elite level component with the black stanchions. The 100 mm VPP rear suspension is controlled by Fox's Float Performance Elite DPS shock. Both ends are controlled by a dual-lock remote lever.
The transmission is full SRAM X01 Eagle with the new Dub crank and bottom bracket interface. Inside sources (Marc Carr, the man that built the bike) tell us that Oli started the race on a 34T chainring but, for whatever reason, decided to switch to a 32T after the first couple of days. The braking is supplied by SRAM's Level TLM brakeset clamping down on 160 mm SRAM rotors.
Oli's cockpit features a Santa Cruz carbon handlebar measuring 740 mm wide held in place by a Syntace Liteforce 90mm stem with a carbon Syntace P6 HiFlex seat post. A RapStrapz strap binds a spare tyre, a bomb, and tyres levers to the underside of the saddle.
Santa Cruz's own carbon Reserve rims (with a 25 mm internal width) are laced to Industry Nine Torch hubs using DT Swiss Competition Race spokes. Oli trusts Maxxis's Aspen 2.25" tyres for the rugged Epic terrain.
Oli is writing daily race reports for Bike Hub from this year's Absa Cape Epic. So stay tuned for the latest instalment every evening this week and, if you missed out, you can catch up here.
- FrameSanta Cruz Blur CC Carbon 29" 100mm travel VPP
- ForkFox Stepcast 32 Factory DPS Kashima
- ShockFox Performance Elite DPS
- RimsSanta Cruz Reserve 25mm internal diameter, 28 hole
- HubsIndustry Nine Torch 28 hole
- Spokes + NipplesDT Competition Race
- Front TyreMaxxis Aspen 29 x2.25” TR with EXO
- Rear TyreMaxxis Aspen 29 x2.25” TR with EXO
- HandlebarSanta Cruz XC Carbon Flat Bar 750mm
- GripsESI chunky
- StemSyntace Liteforce 90mm 0 degree
- Headset + top capCane Creek 40 IS Integrated.
- SeatpostSyntace P6 Carbon HiFlex 31.6mm x 400mm
- BrakesSRAM Level TLM
- Brake rotorSRAM 160mm 6-bolt
- ShiftersSRAM X01 Eagle 12-speed
- Rear derailleurSRAM X01 Eagle 12-speed
- CassetteSRAM X01 Eagle XG1295 10-50T 12-speed
- Crank armsSRAM X1 Eagle Carbon, 175mm crank arm
- ChainringSRAM 34T Narrow Wide
- ChainSRAM X01 Eagle 12-speed.
- Bottom BracketSRAM DUB
- Spares strapRapStrapz