Tech

Inside Rush Sports

· By Nick · 29 comments

Ever wondered where all those parts you see hanging in bike shops come from? We all know they get there through distributors but it’s not common for most people to get insight into that side of the bike industry. Keen to check it out for myself, I was quick to jump when invited to spend a day with the guys from Rush Sports at their warehouse and dealer evening.

Rush Sports, head office and warehousing, is based in Pietermaritzburg. Despite being some distance from their big sales areas (Gauteng and Western Cape) the guys are happy in PMB and, with an efficient courier, parts can be delivered countrywide overnight.

Rush Sports started life as an public online retailer but have since closed this part of the business to focus on distributing brands to dealers. They are currently the South African suppliers of Enduro Bearings, Onza, Praxis Works, Formula, Wheels MFG, and Brake Authority which are available through your local bike shop.

Rush Sports pride themselves on their communication and efficient service and have set up a number of processes to smooth out the ordering and delivery chain for their clients (your local bike shop). They’ve also taken the approach of favouring quality workshop components (such as bearings, spacers, adapters and brake pads) over flashy exciting products. For information on the companies philosophy and direction, check out this recent press release that they sent out to the media.

In the office

Rush Sports Warehouse 9.jpg
Warehouse 21, the home of Rush Sports. Their next-door neighbours in warehouse 23 happen to be Pat and Hilton from Pyga Industries.

Rush Sports Warehouse 24.jpg
As you walk into the warehouse you are greeted by this happy fellow. And some Evil lurking at the base of the stairs.

Rush Sports Warehouse 1.jpg
Rush Sports Warehouse 3.jpg
Rush Sports Warehouse 8.jpg

Up the stairs you’ll find Andre (centre), Mark (right) and Ryan (left), the Rush Sports team, in the office. See the big screen on the wall behind Ryan’s head? That’s Rush’s hit list. If you’re a dealer and they haven’t been in contact for a couple weeks, your name pops up here and the guys get in touch with you.

While I was there the phones didn’t stop ringing with orders coming in and courtesy calls going out to check that everything is still in order and stocks are being kept topped up.

It genuinely appears that the guys are loving what they do. There’s a good vibe in the office with much banter between the guys, I even got to experience the entertaining weekly gangster rap pick.

RushSports Screenshot.jpg
Other than the good old telephone, Rush Sports also offer an online platform from which stores can order parts.

Rush Sports Warehouse 10.jpg
Rush Sports Warehouse 11.jpg

You can tell a lot about a person by the state of their workshop. The Rush Sports guys keep it squeaky clean.

The Warehouse

Rush Sports Warehouse 14.jpg
Rush Sports Warehouse 15.jpg

Rush Sports Warehouse 18.jpgRush Sports Warehouse 16.jpg
Rush Sport’s have a huge collection of items. The tricky thing for them is that most are small and only distinguishable by a keen eye. The number of different bearings alone had my head spinning, then there are the BB adapters, spacers, seals, derailleur hangers, brake spares… I think you get the point.

Rush Sports Warehouse 19.jpg
Rush Sports Warehouse 21.jpg

These boxes are packed with Onza mountain bike tyres. This fresh shipment had just arrived before my visit.

Rush Sports Warehouse 20.jpg
Despite the industry’s best efforts to try and get you to buy a new bike, 26er isn’t dead, and Rush Sports are well aware of this. They had plenty of 26er Onza tyres in stock.

Rush Sports Warehouse 22.jpg
Rush Sports Warehouse 23.jpg
Rush Sports Warehouse 30.jpg
Rush Sports Warehouse 31.jpg

Each item gets slapped with an item code as soon as it enters the door. It’s the only way to keep track of stock. It was all a bit of a maze to me but the guys knew their way around the place when completing orders.

Rush Sports Warehouse 38.jpg

The day’s orders go out before the close of business each day. This means that there’s a good chance your bike shop can order today and receive your parts tomorrow. Something you should bear in mind, and possibly check with your shop, if things seem to be taking time with a Rush Sports brand. Of course, there will always be items out of stock and awaiting a fresh shipment from the manufacturer.

Rush Sports Warehouse 34.jpg
Rush Sports Warehouse 26.jpg

The packing station. This is where orders are prepared for shipping to stores.

Rush Sports send their orders out in neatly branded boxes. These are created using a stencil and paint brush. The end result looks very professional and the boxes can take quite a beating (as I found out when challenged to break one).

Rush Sports Warehouse 25.jpg
The end result. Orders ready for courier collection.

KwaZulu-Natal Dealer Evening

On the same day of my warehouse visit, Rush Sports also hosted their first ever dealer evening at Giba Gorge MTB Park. The idea was for Rush Sports to get all their KZN dealers in one place to catch up, display their new products, and company aims going forward. The event was well attended by the local bike shop owners and managers. Giba Gorge served some very tasty food while Mo’ Gravity Brewery were on hand with fantastic beer.

Rush Sports Dealer Evening 2.jpg
Rush Sports Dealer Evening 7.jpg
Rush Sports Dealer Evening 9.jpg
Rush Sports Dealer Evening 8.jpg
Rush Sports Dealer Evening 10.jpg

Rush Sports Dealer Evening 11.jpg
Rush Sports Dealer Evening 1.jpg

Credit to Lloyd Ramsey for taking the above photos at the dealer evening.

Gear spotted

During my visit, there were a few products left out in view which I managed to grab some snaps of.

Rush Sports Warehouse 28.jpg
Praxis 1x cranks feature a hallow crank arm and decent looks. Expect this brand to appear on a number of 2016 Specialized bikes.

Stock of the famed Praxis wide range cassettes arrived shortly after my visit. Ask your local bike shop, if they aren’t stocking already.

Rush Sports Warehouse 32.jpgPraxis also make narrow wide chain rings.
Rush Sports Warehouse 29.jpgEver had the desire to run ceramic derailleur pulleys? No? Me neither. But for those that that have, Enduro Bearings have you covered with these long lasting, low resistance pulleys.

Rush Sports Warehouse 35.jpg
Wheels MFG try to recreate as many bike derailleur hangers as the can. Very useful when your bike manufacturer can’t find a replacement. This plate shows how the hangers are built from a solid piece of metal.

Rush Sports Warehouse 36.jpg
A Wheels MFG bearing press. A must have for any shop and certainly a dream kit for my home mechanics toolbox.

Rush Sports Warehouse 37.jpg

You can find out more about Rush Sports on their website here. They also post interesting videos about their products and business on their YouTube channel here.

Related posts

Comments

Odinson

Aug 5, 2015, 9:17 AM

After reading (scanning, actually) this article, should it be considered an advertorial or native advertising?

Any marketers who want to chime in?

Eldron

Aug 5, 2015, 9:27 AM

Who cares? Rush Sports is pretty cool.

nonky

Aug 5, 2015, 9:30 AM

After reading (scanning, actually) this article, should it be considered an advertorial or native advertising?

everyone has to pay the bills...

Nick

Aug 5, 2015, 9:30 AM

Rush Sports invited us to check out their operation. I was interested and thought some Hubbers (which include customers of Rush Sports) would also be interested. Yes, being a specific distributor these things will always include a fair amount of showing off their wares but we'd be happy to do the same for any distributor.

We weren't paid or anything exchanged to do this feature.

DIPSLICK

Aug 5, 2015, 9:31 AM

some how i think its cool if its from the admin staff :whistling:

rock

Aug 5, 2015, 10:04 AM

nice feature 

PeterF

Aug 5, 2015, 10:08 AM

Some really cool goodies inside RS.

Guest notmyname

Aug 5, 2015, 10:10 AM

Cool. I'm interested who did the murals? Also please try get into Cool Heat. Lol

Ryanpmb

Aug 5, 2015, 10:12 AM

As with most of the 'review' articles...? It's an opportunity for the distributors, shops, service providers to connect with customers through a reputable forum.

Rush Sports stand to benefit from such an article, but I think that's great. They're a good bunch of guys that offer great levels of service. As with most of the other representatives discussed/ highlighted/ promoted previously.

I know I've taken Nick up on an opportunity to review an On-One product in the near future and yes, I hope it does lead to some marketing/ advertising/ promoting. Watch this space.

:thumbup:

rock

Aug 5, 2015, 10:15 AM

now If only thehub came and test rode a Soma I would still be in business :(

;)

Donovan Le Cok

Aug 5, 2015, 10:37 AM

Rush Sports invited us to check out their operation. I was interested and thought some Hubbers (which include customers of Rush Sports) would also be interested. Yes, being a specific distributor these things will always include a fair amount of showing off their wares but we'd be happy to do the same for any distributor.

We weren't paid or anything exchanged to do this feature.

Thanks for the cool article, it is always great to see the inner workings of the industry.

Aug 5, 2015, 11:35 AM

They are an excellent upright bunch of riders doing a good thing.

We need this to bolster what we have left and it inspires many.

Keep up the excellent work Andre , Ryan & Mark and the good example being set.

Happy Trails !!

Iwan Kemp

Aug 5, 2015, 11:35 AM

now If only thehub came and test rode a Soma I would still be in business :(

;)

I'll take it!

Patchelicious

Aug 5, 2015, 11:41 AM

Looks like a nice well run business. well done!

Lusky

Aug 5, 2015, 4:54 PM

Top guys, doing a great job.

Clinton H

Aug 5, 2015, 7:25 PM

There is nothing to see at Coolheat , the constant lack of stock says it all .

Hairy

Aug 6, 2015, 8:17 AM

Thanks for the insight

rock

Aug 6, 2015, 9:43 AM

some the of the competition's facilities:

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/4af03700000000000022ba83/why-inventory-effects-arent-always-bad.jpg

Odinson

Aug 6, 2015, 9:43 AM

Rush Sports invited us to check out their operation. I was interested and thought some Hubbers (which include customers of Rush Sports) would also be interested. Yes, being a specific distributor these things will always include a fair amount of showing off their wares but we'd be happy to do the same for any distributor.We weren't paid or anything exchanged to do this feature.

No disrespect intended. Even had you been paid, it wouldn't matter. This is your business and advertisers are how you generate income.

Rush Sports seem like a professional outfit and it's interesting to have an inside-look at an online retailer.

Shebeen

Aug 6, 2015, 10:12 AM

very cool article, looks like these guys have got all their ducks in a row.

There is nothing to see at Coolheat , the constant lack of stock says it all .

undercover images from their warehouse

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10433937_881943045179111_4101920318480701526_n.jpg?oh=1b3e00e058d996a88857003c60f09e17&oe=563CE7A3

DIPSLICK

Aug 6, 2015, 10:25 AM

very cool article, looks like these guys have got all their ducks in a row.

undercover images from their warehousehttps://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10433937_881943045179111_4101920318480701526_n.jpg?oh=1b3e00e058d996a88857003c60f09e17&oe=563CE7A3

back end of the warehouse, should have snatched a pair of shoes there at the back

edit sorry front end

Guest notmyname

Aug 6, 2015, 10:36 AM

some the of the competition's facilities:http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/4af03700000000000022ba83/why-inventory-effects-arent-always-bad.jpg

This is exactly the kind of image I was hoping someone would post after my comment. Awesome!

Hairy

Aug 6, 2015, 12:03 PM

Took a look at the pics again and came to realise this whole article is a simple "look at me" bragging exercise.

NOW BEFORE YOU GET TOO EXCITED

Here is the proof ..... the little black no. on the lower right of this pic.

post-5403-0-30705900-1438862588_thumb.jpg

Add a comment

You must log in to comment